Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown: Lack of honoring former players 'probably my fault'
(07-29-2015, 04:51 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm amazed at how clueless he came off. He may be stewing on the decision of honoring our former greats, but I'm guessing we won't see one of them honored until Katie takes over.

Why would she be any more motivated to honor them than he is?  If my ol' man didn't want to honor anyone I doubt I'd be 100% sure I was going to go against his wishes as soon as he keeled over.  Just sayin'.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 05:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why would she be any more motivated to honor them than he is?  If my ol' man didn't want to honor anyone I doubt I'd be 100% sure I was going to go against his wishes as soon as he keeled over.  Just sayin'.

Katie has mentioned before that she would hire a GM. I don't know if she still feels this way, but it gives me hope.....
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 05:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Katie has mentioned before that she would hire a GM. I don't know if she still feels this way, but it gives me hope.....

How strange is that?  

KB - I would hire a GM.
MB - I won't hire a GM, but I'll be dead eventually and leave the business to you, so hold tight, I guess.

It's just so strange to me that someone can be so cognizant of things and yet so detached that he can shrug and say "Welp, someone else can do it when I'm dead!"
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 05:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How strange is that?  

KB - I would hire a GM.
MB - I won't hire a GM, but I'll be dead eventually and leave the business to you, so hold tight, I guess.

It's just so strange to me that someone can be so cognizant of things and yet so detached that he can shrug and say "Welp, someone else can do it when I'm dead!"

That's Mike Brown for you. He saw how his dad ran the team, and he believes that's the way you run it no matter what kind of change goes on around you. If you read Paul Brown's biography, you find out that while he was stubborn, he would accept some kind of change.

Keep this in mind, Mike took over in August of 1991, officially. We went through a dark time in the franchise with loss after loss. It wasn't until 2003 when Mike Brown hired a HC outside of the organization. Shula, Coslet, and LeBeau were all promoted from within.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 07:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't bother, Mikey.  We all know who is good and who isn't so good.

Unfortunately the latter is a greater number than the former.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Personally I go to games to have a good time, get drunk, yell, and watch AJ Green, Dunlap, Pacman and the like.  Looking at pictures of Anthony Munoz or his jersey are pretty far down my list.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 04:51 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm amazed at how clueless he came off. He may be stewing on the decision of honoring our former greats, but I'm guessing we won't see one of them honored until Katie takes over.

MB's comments on honoring former Bengals' greats sound an awful lot like his comments about building an indoor training facility.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/mike-brown-finally-may-be-building-an-indoor-practice-facility/

Quote:For years, Bengals owner Mike Brown has resisted the notion of building an indoor practice facility.  The issue nearly caused coach Marvin Lewis to resist the opportunity to stay with the team.

Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Brown could be breaking down and breaking out the wallet for an indoor venue.  Reedy writes that the team is “continuing preliminary assessments” toward that end, and that the team would fully fund the project.

“Marvin has a desire to have a practice facility,” Brown said when Lewis agreed to a new two-year contract in January, when he was a coaching free agent.  “I have a desire, but probably not as keen. That doesn’t mean I don’t have a desire to do it.”

He should have a desire to do it.  An indoor practice facility is one of those things that can help a team improve, allowing practice to continue during thunderstorms or heavy snow.  It also could be a factor in the decision-making processes of free agents.

We can’t imagine many players spurning the Bengals because they don’t have an indoor practice facility, but the absence of an indoor practice facility is a tangible item to which a free agent could point when deciding to point his search for a new team in a different direction because he senses that the Bengals perhaps don’t “get it.”
And that could be one of the reasons why the Bengals so often have to rely on signing talented players with off-field concerns, whose options are playing for an NFL team with no indoor practice facility — or playing for a CFL team that has one.

This was 4 years ago, and still no further word on it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 09:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: MB's comments on honoring former Bengals' greats sound an awful lot like his comments about building an indoor training facility.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/mike-brown-finally-may-be-building-an-indoor-practice-facility/

It's Pathetic !
Reply/Quote
It's amazing when he tries to relate to something.  No matter the topic, he still somehow always manages to come off sounding like some patronizing, antiquated buffoon.  Stewing on it. Who the **** talks like that outside of Monty Burns?  Fans like that sort of thing.  Just like we love watching the Philco while sitting on the davenport wearing our dungarees, eh Mike? 

Jesus, what a dick. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
"I'm stewing on it..."

This about sums Mike Brown up in a nutshell. You don't "stew on it", you fix it Mike. Just own up to it dude, you've wronged the fans and players by neglecting this, and now you're going to fix it. There's no thinking about it. We are the only team in the league that doesn't do this for the players, so this was bound to come up sooner or later. This will be the same as the practice facility, he'll beat around the bush on this issue hoping that it will go away and he wont have to pony up the money to do it.

That man is such a crass piece of garbage, and needs to exit this earth immediately.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 09:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: MB's comments on honoring former Bengals' greats sound an awful lot like his comments about building an indoor training facility.

That's because real teams don't practice indoors...
Reply/Quote
I'm not really big on practice discussions, but don't they occasionally practice indoors at UC or something?  I'm pretty sure that I've seen them indoors before.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote