Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown Letter Mixon Enquirer
(05-05-2017, 06:06 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I appreciate the candor.

He obviously wants us to win, even if he doesn't really know how.

Mike Browns wants to win like a person who spends all his time sitting in his mom's basement putzing around the internet wants to land a 6-figure job and a super hot wife.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure Mike Brown wants to win for financial reasons. I read somewhere that Super Bowl teams can lose money. Don't ask me how. Maybe the players want too much money after a Super Bowl win.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 05:14 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm not so sure Mike Brown wants to win for financial reasons. I read somewhere that Super Bowl teams can lose money. Don't ask me how. Maybe the players want too much money after a Super Bowl win.

Maybe in some crazy scenario, SB teams might somehow lose some money initially but I can't imagine it wouldn't be recouped in merchandising alone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 05:14 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm not so sure Mike Brown wants to win for financial reasons. I read somewhere that Super Bowl teams can lose money. Don't ask me how. Maybe the players want too much money after a Super Bowl win.

(05-07-2017, 06:56 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe in some crazy scenario, SB teams might somehow lose some money initially but I can't imagine it wouldn't be recouped in merchandising alone.

This article explains it well:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/01/04/nfl-playoffs-are-not-a-road-to-riches-for-teams/#3dca01ce5124
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

That's interesting. I just ready about it. How when the SB is in some cities...the 'visiting team' has to pay taxes and the taxes are based on a players income.

I'm not sure that the owners actually lose money though. With revenue sharing...it's pretty much impossible for them to lose money as the salary cap is set on a percentage of total revenue.

Plus, if you make it to the Super Bowl...you sale more merchandise, etc.
Reply/Quote
I worried when I saw the title, but it wasn't that bad of a response. In addressing it, I wish he acknowledged Joe did a terrible thing to a person...but we see with his sincere contrition and conduct he is focused on a bright future and we support him.

It will follow Joe no matter our opinion, and he will have to talk about it a lot. Others can cuss so I'll be real that I'm praying for him as a young man that he takes this pressure and trusts God more in whatever his heart condition is. I can't imagine facing what he's facing alone.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 08:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This article explains it well:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/01/04/nfl-playoffs-are-not-a-road-to-riches-for-teams/#3dca01ce5124

Right, bonuses and incentives can actually net a loss....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 02:54 AM)phil413 Wrote: I worried when I saw the title, but it wasn't that bad of a response. In addressing it, I wish he acknowledged Joe did a terrible thing to a person...but we see with his sincere contrition and conduct he is focused on a bright future and we support him.  

It will follow Joe no matter our opinion, and he will have to talk about it a lot.  Others can cuss so I'll be real that I'm praying for him as a young man that he takes this pressure and trusts God more in whatever his heart condition is. I can't imagine facing what he's facing alone.

You know, Joe has admitted his wrong, from what I've read on him, apologized to Mia and his mother, and stated he wants to do women's advocate work.  It may or may not be lip service (I don't get the feeling that it is), but it's MILES beyond anything Smackman has ever done.  I do not understand why he has not been cut.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know, Joe has admitted his wrong, from what I've read on him, apologized to Mia and his mother, and stated he wants to do women's advocate work.  It may or may not be lip service (I don't get the feeling that it is), but it's MILES beyond anything Smackman has ever done.  I do not understand why he has not been cut.

If the Bengals had another CB besides DK that they knew could play outside, Jones probably would be cut. But I think he's sticking around because WJ3, Dennard, and Russell are unknowns and Brown doesn't want to force an inexperienced player into a starting role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals had another CB besides DK that they knew could play outside, Jones probably would be cut. But I think he's sticking around because WJ3, Dennard, and Russell are unknowns and Brown doesn't want to force an inexperienced player into a starting role.

You're most likely right, but isn't the outside SUPPOSED to be Dennard's strength?  I can't understand why they play him in the slot, if memory serves, I thought he played outside at MSU, and was good at using the boundary as a defender. Brown needs to man up and cut bait.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're most likely right, but isn't the outside SUPPOSED to be Dennard's strength?  I can't understand why they play him in the slot, if memory serves, I thought he played outside at MSU, and was good at using the boundary as a defender.  Brown needs to man up and cut bait.

I thought the reason they tried him in the slot was because there were already established starters on the outside.
But I agree, I think he's a much better fit outside.
Hopefully this year, at minimum, we see him line up outside occasionally so he can get exposure to that spot in the NFL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2017, 08:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This article explains it well:

So basically the incentive to win the Super bowl is the chance to say, Yey, we won.. Other than that, not much. 
I don't get all that worked up either way. I like winning, but if we lose my life stays about the same than if we win. 
Suppose your house is about to be foreclosed on and your favorite team just won the championship.. Try taking that to the bank and say
,"But my favorite team just won the championship!"
The banks response? How much did you wager on them winning? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought the reason they tried him in the slot was because there were already established starters on the outside.
But I agree, I think he's a much better fit outside.
Hopefully this year, at minimum, we see him line up outside occasionally so he can get exposure to that spot in the NFL.

Yeah, that was it....but sheesh, at some point you gotta sink or swim....seems to be the approach at LT.  I just don't get playing a guy out of position.  If he's gonna swim, he needs to do it where he feels the most comfortable playing.  Deep six the resident repeat offender and roll with youth....jmo.  Totally agree with the last sentence.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, that was it....but sheesh, at some point you gotta sink or swim....seems to be the approach at LT.  I just don't get playing a guy out of position.  If he's gonna swim, he needs to do it where he feels the most comfortable playing.  Deep six the resident repeat offender and roll with youth....jmo.  Totally agree with the last sentence.

The difference with LT was that Whit's contract ran out. Jones still has this year under contract plus a team option for 2018. That's why I posted a thread about the team option and how I think Jones will not have his option picked up depending on how Dennard develops. I'm hoping Dennard only takes limited reps in the slot to just see the field but that he also gets some outside reps this year too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The difference with LT was that Whit's contract ran out. Jones still has this year under contract plus a team option for 2018. That's why I posted a thread about the team option and how I think Jones will not have his option picked up depending on how Dennard develops. I'm hoping Dennard only takes limited reps in the slot to just see the field but that he also gets some outside reps this year too.

I know the difference, but basing who is going to play based on contract status is asinine.....but typical Son of Paul.

Looks as though the contracts were screwed up from the get go.  

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know, Joe has admitted his wrong, from what I've read on him, apologized to Mia and his mother, and stated he wants to do women's advocate work.  It may or may not be lip service (I don't get the feeling that it is), but it's MILES beyond anything Smackman has ever done.  I do not understand why he has not been cut.

That info is specifically what Brown should have referenced to reflect his statement. You'll have fixed everything imo regrading the letter.
Reply/Quote
I know at least 1 news station calling for a boycott of buying Bengals tickets. I believe it was WCPO some are very upset about the pick I feel it's better to have him around than Pacman.
WhoDey2 Pitt Sux 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2017, 01:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: So basically the incentive to win the Super bowl is the chance to say, Yey, we won.. Other than that, not much. 
I don't get all that worked up either way. I like winning, but if we lose my life stays about the same than if we win. 
Suppose your house is about to be foreclosed on and your favorite team just won the championship.. Try taking that to the bank and say
,"But my favorite team just won the championship!"
The banks response? How much did you wager on them winning? 

Good point.  It's like when my friend was like "Dude, I just nailed a supermodel" and I was like "Loser, I masturbated 6 times yesterday!"
Reply/Quote