Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown Speaks
(03-29-2017, 07:05 PM)TKUHL Wrote: This is exactly why this team has zero discipline and accountability.

Shannon Sharpe said " only 8 teams in the NFL really want to win" and named Cincinnati as one of the not trying organizations.
:paul:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Overly tolerant......
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:53 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Shannon Sharpe said " only 8 teams in the NFL really want to win" and named Cincinnati as one of the not trying organizations.

That's sounds as stupid as his lisp. 

Reply/Quote
It's a telling thing about Mike Browns character that he would consider Adam's little girl in all of this. However, Adam seems to get himself into these situations without thinking of his little girls at all. it's his job to be a father and protect them and think of his actions. It's his job to consider his actions might effect his kids. It's not Mike Browns job. I can't faultMike Brown for feeling this way, but his tendency to protect his players and coaches probably means we won't ever win a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:53 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Shannon Sharpe said " only 8 teams in the NFL really want to win" and named Cincinnati as one of the not trying organizations.
It's wrong to say they don't want to win.  They're just committed to doing it their way, right or wrong, come hell or high water.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:14 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: It's  a telling thing about Mike Browns character that he would consider Adam's little girl in all of this. However, Adam seems to get himself into these situations without thinking of his little girls at all.   it's his job to be a father and protect them and think of his actions. It's his job to consider his actions might effect his kids.  It's not Mike Browns job. I can't faultMike  Brown  for feeling this way, but his tendency to protect his players and coaches probably  means we won't ever win a Super Bowl.

This team is Mike Brown's family. He sees himself as a father figure to a lot of player, Pac included, who grew up without fathers and no one to really teach them. Yes, you and I would cut Pac for his constant BS after so many chances, but not Mike Brown. It's no different than him keeping an underperforming Devon Still on the team so his daughter could be insured for her cancer treatments. It may not be the best thing as far as a football team winning, but to me it's better than having a heartless owner who just throws people away. I respect him for that. People are free to go cheer for another team anytime, and if they don't like the way this team is run, they can go buy their own.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This team is Mike Brown's family. He sees himself as a father figure to a lot of player, Pac included, who grew up without fathers and no one to really teach them. Yes, you and I would cut Pac for his constant BS after so many chances, but not Mike Brown. It's no different than him keeping an underperforming Devon Still on the team so his daughter could be insured for her cancer treatments. It may not be the best thing as far as a football team winning, but to me it's better than having a heartless owner who just throws people away. I respect him for that. People are free to go cheer for another team anytime, and if they don't like the way this team is run, they can go buy their own.

What a bullshit attitude.  Reading that truly pissed me off.  Is your last name Brown?   Mike didn't buy shit.  His greatest accomplishment was being born.

He should go buy a landscaping company and stop holding the fans of this franchise hostage.   I'd love to see the league take away his safety net and make him earn his ***** keep for a change.

It's going on thirty years of frustration and showing no signs of ever changing.  He doesn't give a **** if the whole country laughs at us but maybe the rest of us do.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This team is Mike Brown's family. He sees himself as a father figure to a lot of player, Pac included, who grew up without fathers and no one to really teach them. Yes, you and I would cut Pac for his constant BS after so many chances, but not Mike Brown. It's no different than him keeping an underperforming Devon Still on the team so his daughter could be insured for her cancer treatments. It may not be the best thing as far as a football team winning, but to me it's better than having a heartless owner who just throws people away. I respect him for that. People are free to go cheer for another team anytime, and if they don't like the way this team is run, they can go buy their own.

Pacman and Devon Stills situation are very different. Still was still relatively young and (we thought) would come into his own eventually. Oh, and he never had repeated trouble with the law. Pacman is on, what, his tenth chance? And Mike is speaking and acting like its his first offense. 

Mike never should have gotten as close to Pacman as he did. He's emotionally involved now. He'll never cut him loose (even though he should because not cutting him sends a message that his shit behavior will be tolerated as long as folks cozy up to Mike). Same can be said for Marv Lewis. Marv could go 4-12 next season and Mike will still give him his yearly extension. Simply because they're good buddies. Paul Alexander too, for that matter.

This BS of refusing to seperate business and personal friends is asinine from a management standpoint. It's one of the many things that makes Mike the worst owner in professional sports.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 05:52 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I know there's a lot to disagree with in things Mike says, and I'm actually ready to see Pac move on.  But when I see his loyalty to Pac and his family, and the way he thinks about it, I just see a really decent human being, and somehow, I feel proud of the damn guy.

And yet he holds the entire county hostage for millions of dollars, but I don't see him "caring" about that. Those are real people that don't have millions and also have sons and daughters they have to take care of.

Where's his soft spot for the city at? Why only the problem childs he goes out of his way to support?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:22 AM)McC Wrote: It's wrong to say they don't want to win.  They're just committed to doing it their way, right or wrong, come hell or high water.

Do they just want to win, or do they want to win a Super Bowl? There's a difference from "just wanting to win" (pretty vague) than "wanting to win a Super Bowl" (more specific, goal oriented). That's what I believe Shannon meant. And I agree with it in that context.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 08:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Exactly. People often claim that Mike may not be the smartest GM but that he is a "great businessman". I don't see how. Keeping players, coaches, whoever aboard because they're some of your best friends is horrible business etiquette. Some may see Mike as "nice" (and he certainly is, to some extent), I mainly see him as selfish, ignorant and in denial.

Well recently hearing a lot of good things about the bengals management from players and former players. 
Reply/Quote

My man......it's a shit ton different than that.  Devon Still is a good and decent person on and off the field.....and there was not much other hope for his little girl.  That was a VERY noble and beneficial gesture on Mike's part.....I'll get his back for that move at all times.  What this is, is enabling, and promoting a lack of accountability.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm conflicted. I still want us to move on from Pacman and let our young draft picks own this position group. It goes without saying that his actions are embarrassing and the Bengals are too tolerant of shenanigans. However, there is an aspect of the comments from Brown that I can appreciate.

When the Bengals hang on to troubled players with no explanation it's the most maddening thing in the world. I actually prefer that now we know the reason guys like Pacman stay around so long with us. It's not because Mike doesn't care about character, or that he values winning over everything else, or even that troubled players are "cheaper". It just comes down to the simple fact that Mike Brown is an exceedingly empathetic person. Honestly, it's rare to see the type of empathy he has from a highly successful business man.

I don't think that excuses the ridiculousness we've had to endure as fans, but I prefer Mike's empathetic honesty over Marvin's feigned ignorance saying things like "besides his language, what did he do?" and (regarding Burfict) "I don't feel the need to tell him to play any different".

I still wish to see Pacman go. We are plenty talented at the position without him, and it might give him the real wake up call he needs. But regardless of that I have a new appreciation for Mike Brown as a person. I still think he's too tolerant, but if he's got a big heart for people I'm not sure that's gonna change anytime soon. And I don't think he should be demonized for it.
Reply/Quote
Whit was better off being a troubled soul then a good locker room guy. Maybe he'd still be here and would have been a priority.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think that Mike Brown and Marvin are going through "mental gymnastics" to justify to themselves & to the Public why they are keeping Pac Man on the team.
Bottom line is they feel they need him due to the lack of starting Experience of the other Corners on the team.
The injury to William Jackson III last season slowed his development and the Bengals don't want to take the same approach the Steelers took with Artie Burns by starting inexperienced players right away.
Do I think Mike Brown cares for Pac Man's daughter? Yes, I do.
However, the cutting of Pac Man will come one day, (when his cost exceeds his value to the team) and what then?
Was he cut because Mike Brown no longer cared for his daughter?
No, it will be for Football reasons.
Therefore, Mike Brown may need to start a TRUST FUND for Pac Man's daughter to really show his commitment to her long term well being to stay true to his comments longer term unless he was just invested in a short term good gesture.
Truth is, they feel they need Pac Man and they likely believe they are helping his daughter by keeping him which adds to the Pro side of the Pro versus Con Ledger that all of us create when Justifying controversial decisions we make to ourselves & to others.
Reply/Quote
I am sure Mike Brown is a good man and that his family are good people.

They are inept in running an NFL team.

He should have someone else completely in charge of making personnel decisions including coaching staff.

There is no other team in professional or college sports who would still have Marv as the head coach.

Kraft seems to be a nice man and someone who loves his family and friends.

I bet Kraft loves his head coach and has him over for dinner but the coach would not be there if he had lost 6 consecutive playoff games , no playoff wins, and lost to the Jets usually twice a year.
Reply/Quote

So basically you're telling me to shut up or leave?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: My man......it's a shit ton different than that.  Devon Still is a good and decent person on and off the field.....and there was not much other hope for his little girl.  That was a VERY noble and beneficial gesture on Mike's part.....I'll get his back for that move at all times.  What this is, is enabling, and promoting a lack of accountability.

Agree.  Devon Still is ALL ABOUT Leah.  I'm not saying Adam doesn't love his kids, but he sure don't think about them when he's assaulting a police officer or fighting with someone in a bar.
Reply/Quote

I have to disagree here.  Still was a young player, an incredible dad, his daughter could have possible died, and from a football standpoint there was still the possibility of him having a productive career after things settled down in is life.  Not to mention Brown put him on the practice squad for most of that time, which was an extreme cut in pay.
Reply/Quote

8492 US Hwy 68 East Benton KY 42025 US
It's 2 completely different things in my mind. Shocked
Reply/Quote