Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term
CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals team president Mike Brown said he hopes quarterback Joe Burrow enjoys a long career in Cincinnati, but he understands that it will come at a price for the reigning AFC champions.

In a pregame interview that aired on the team's radio broadcast on Sunday, Brown echoed Burrow's recent comments about the window for a potential Super Bowl run lasting his whole career, exceeding the span of his team-friendly rookie contract. Brown also referenced the balance of Burrow's impending payday with the ability to sign other top players.

He's going to have a long career," Brown told the team's radio broadcast. "We certainly want it to be here. I think his window will extend over his whole career. But there is the fact that when you don't have to pay the quarterback some extraordinary amount, that leaves room to pay other players more and, therefore, you can keep more players that are good players."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35465993/bengals-owner-wants-long-career-qb-joe-burrow-cincy
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
"But there is the fact that when you don't have to pay the quarterback some extraordinary amount, that leaves room to pay other players more and, therefore, you can keep more players that are good players."

Let's hope Burrow is aligned on that.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
They would have HFA if it wasn’t for that first Steelers game.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:29 PM)Big Boss Wrote: "But there is the fact that when you don't have to pay the quarterback some extraordinary amount, that leaves room to pay other players more and, therefore, you can keep more players that are good players."

Let's hope Burrow is aligned on that.

I personally am certain of it.

Didn't Joe put all his rookie contract into savings, with the plan to live off endorsements? Or something similar. 

Point being, he's clearly money-wise, but also not completely money orientated. The dude clearly wants to win, and I think he's aware of the legacy implications of winning. Win at least a Super Bowl with the Bengals and the guy goes down in history. He'll be filthy rich whatever he does, so I do believe he will take a 'team-friendly' deal. That doesn't mean we won't be paying the bank to him though.
Reply/Quote
I don't remember where but I seen a statistic that said if the QB makes over 12 or 13% of the yearly total salary cap the team never succeeds.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Whatever they end up paying Joe B. it won't touch the ridiculous salaries these baseball players are getting nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't remember where but I seen a statistic that said if the QB makes over 12 or 13% of the yearly total salary cap the team never succeeds.

Here's an interesting breakdown of all the QB's who made the SB from 2000 through 2020, and the cap percentages.
(Last year, Stafford was at 10.96 % and Burrow at 4.51%)

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-02-11-at-9_16_34-AM.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:41 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I personally am certain of it.

Didn't Joe put all his rookie contract into savings, with the plan to live off endorsements? Or something similar. 

Point being, he's clearly money-wise, but also not completely money orientated. The dude clearly wants to win, and I think he's aware of the legacy implications of winning. Win at least a Super Bowl with the Bengals and the guy goes down in history. He'll be filthy rich whatever he does, so I do believe he will take a 'team-friendly' deal. That doesn't mean we won't be paying the bank to him though.

Completely agree, we will paying him mad dough but not so much that we handcuff the team from keeping a lot of our own players
that are also pivotal to our success. Joe knows this, doubt he would entertain a contract that did handcuff the team. Winning and ball
is everything to Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
That quote from Mike sounds like wishful thinking and hoping that Joe hears and takes a (slightly) team friendly deal. I doubt that happens, but I appreciate Mike trying. Our SB window will be less "open" if Joe is eating 35% of the cap.

I'm exaggerating here, but these QB salaries have passed the point of ridiculousness. You can't win without a QB, but you also can't win once you have to pay one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That quote from Mike sounds like wishful thinking and hoping that Joe hears and takes a (slightly) team friendly deal. I doubt that happens, but I appreciate Mike trying. Our SB window will be less "open" if Joe is eating 35% of the cap.

I'm exaggerating here, but these QB salaries have passed the point of ridiculousness. You can't win without a QB, but you also can't win once you have to pay one.

What was Cleveland thinking, I have reason to believe that the Browns signed a guy that hasn't really played much to spite the Bengals, and the upcoming QB's and handicap the league since the Browns are so inadequate! If the Bengals were still starting Dalton at QB, I bet the Browns don't sign Watson like they did!

But, somebody need to set a precedence, we'll pay you swell, but that full guaranteed contract to QB's stops NOW!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:22 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: What was Cleveland thinking, I have reason to believe that the Browns signed a guy that hasn't really played much to spite the Bengals, and the upcoming QB's and handicap the league since the Browns are so inadequate! If the Bengals were still starting Dalton at QB, I bet the Browns don't sign Watson like they did!

But, somebody need to set a precedence, we'll pay you swell, but that full guaranteed contract to QB's stops NOW!

The other day it crossed my mind that maybe the Browns thought overpaying Watson would not only get them a QB but also screw the Bengals and Ravens by forcing them to overpay or lose Burrow and Jackson.

Maybe one of their dumb analytics guys came up with that idea. Whatever
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The other day it crossed my mind that maybe the Browns thought overpaying Watson would not only get them a QB but also screw the Bengals and Ravens by forcing them to overpay or lose Burrow and Jackson.

Could be true, would put nothing past them or the stealers.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/photos/ranking-the-nfl-s-biggest-contracts-for-2022

The contracts are one thing. The guarantees make it even more complicated. And that's what going on with Lamar. This list includes some wr's which leaves the Chase question out there also.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The other day it crossed my mind that maybe the Browns thought overpaying Watson would not only get them a QB but also screw the Bengals and Ravens by forcing them to overpay or lose Burrow and Jackson.

I really think that's why they did that! Imagine when we get to the days that QBs, WRs, LTs and MLBs are all guaranteed contracts, just a matter of time!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
I think Burrow will take a team friendly deal, even though he deserves to be the highest paid player the NFL has ever seen the moment he's due for a long-term contract.

With that being said, I also believe Burrow could buck the trends and win SBs even if he's eating the most cap on the planet, too. Burrow is a top tier QB with literal year in and year out MVP potential and I'm willing to accept that ZT is a top-tier HC, so what are we afraid of if Burrow asks for the salary he deserves? Teams with high-salary QBs don't win? Meh, don't we have a bunch of evidence that Burrow is curse and trend-proof?

BUT Burrow has done and said everything as perfectly as possible, so I almost feel spoiled and entitled enough to flat out assume the guy is going to gleefully choose to be paid like a middling starter just so he can benefit the Bengals. I see better than I hear, but the guy has done everything 100% right so far and I don't see that changing.

We're spoiled rotten, but I guess we've earned it. We're looking at having the best QB on the planet and expecting the guy to take Ryan Tannehill money while winning multiple SBs.
Reply/Quote

Burrow is/was going to cost Cinci. way more than Watson anyways. I don't think any team thinks that way in spending that much money to spite another team or to dictate their strategy. You going to spend that much you better love love love your guy and, in the Browns case, being snake bit by having a #1 pick backfire like Mayfield did only enhanced their need.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:43 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: I really think that's why they did that! Imagine when we get to the days that QBs, WRs, LTs and MLBs are all guaranteed contracts, just a matter of time!

Yeah things are getting wild. Teams are losing the battle against players, and that's been happening in all major sports leagues.

(01-17-2023, 04:49 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Burrow is/was going to cost Cinci. way more than Watson anyways. I don't think any team thinks that way in spending that much money to spite another team or to dictate their strategy. You going to spend that much you better love love love your guy and, in the Browns case, being snake bit by having a #1 pick backfire like Mayfield did only enhanced their need.

I don't truly believe the Browns did that contract for that reason. I'm just saying that it wouldn't shock me, and I do think they love love loved Watson, but I could see where they may have viewed sticking it to the Bengals and Ravens as an added benefit.

I also think their desperation after decades of QB searches was a heavy factor.
Reply/Quote
I guess the biggest problem is the guaranteed money. Harder for the Bengals to come up with that amount of cash. I still think having to escrow all the guaranteed money is a really stupid rule. If you are within the salary cap you will have the money each year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I have dreams where Burrow signs for like 10 years, 300 million dollars and then has a press conference where he says "I know I could have gotten more money, but 300 million dollars is already way more money than I'll ever need and I really wanted to make sure Tee and Ja'Marr got their due as well."

And then I wake up and think it's not fair to hope for Burrow to do that. But still secretly really hoping he does it haha.
Reply/Quote
Sign him to a 10 year contract at 15% of the cap annually and call it a day.
Reply/Quote