Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown will consider honoring players...
...next year.

Maybe a real ROH/HOF will finally happen in some form?
Reply/Quote
That's a glimmer. Hopefully he's not holding out for the century mark, I'm not sure I'll make it that long.

Personally, though, I always thought he was holding out for a SB win. Get the Lombardi, then slowly start recognizing the history.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Meh, I'm not holding my breath. Whatever has prevented him from having a ring of honor thus far will likely still be in effect next year, too.
Reply/Quote
Glad to learn that Mike Brown is considering honoring the players. A bit overdue in my opinion, but better late than never. I realize that many fans continue to hold some sort of grudge on Mike Brown, for the lost decade. However, (I feel) the man truly loves this team, and wants it to be a winner with a prestigious history to be proud of. As mentioned previously, perhaps he has been waiting for that elusive Championship to spill the wallet and honor all who have served. Either way, I just hope that he does it before all of the early Bengal stars all pass on...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think he just feels that great players are dependent on their teammates to reach the heights that they do, so those teammates are just as worthy of the recognition.

In other words, I think he would rather have banners honoring entire rosters instead of individual performances.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glad to learn that Mike Brown is considering honoring the players.  A bit overdue in my opinion, but better late than never.  I realize that many fans continue to hold some sort of grudge on Mike Brown, for the lost decade.  However, (I feel) the man truly loves this team, and wants it to be a winner with a prestigious history to be proud of.  As mentioned previously, perhaps he has been waiting for that elusive Championship to spill the wallet and honor all who have served.  Either way, I just hope that he does it before all of the early Bengal stars all pass on...

I don't think there's any doubt Mike wants to win. It's the manner in which he's tried to get there that comes into question.

Hopefully he'll come to his senses and do this.
Reply/Quote
Long overdue, get it done !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It won't happen until he is dead just like the practice facility.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:05 AM)J24 Wrote: It won't happen until he is dead just like the practice facility.

Dead Horse
Reply/Quote
Waaayyyyyyyy overdue. I hope he makes good on it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 08:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think there's any doubt Mike wants to win. It's the manner in which he's tried to get there that comes into question.

Hopefully he'll come to his senses and do this.

I have always agreed with this.  That he wants to win, but more importantly is that he win "his way".  I am personally happy that he seems to step further and further away from the day to day management of the team.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2016, 07:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I think he just feels that great players are dependent on their teammates to reach the heights that they do, so those teammates are just as worthy of the recognition.

In other words, I think he would rather have banners honoring entire rosters instead of individual performances.

I feel the same way myself. I'd much rather celebrate the overall team than put any one player up and above everyone else. I don't know that placing numbers around the stadium to 'honor' specific players accomplishes much of anything honestly other than to leave open doors of resentment with other players who might have been just as deserving, but are never recognized. It's kind of like the HOF.. How many truly great players are routinely snubbed and left out only because the team they played for didn't win the super bowl or world series or whatever? Seems more like a popularity contest than anything else.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Maybe if the team itself will honor some of its own players the HoF might start to notice them.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 12:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: I feel the same way myself. I'd much rather celebrate the overall team than put any one player up and above everyone else. I don't know that placing numbers around the stadium to 'honor' specific players accomplishes much of anything honestly other than to leave open doors of resentment with other players who might have been just as deserving, but are never recognized. It's kind of like the HOF.. How many truly great players are routinely snubbed and left out only because the team they played for didn't win the super bowl or world series or whatever?  Seems more like a popularity contest than anything else.

It certainly is and always will be a popularity contest. That's a natural byproduct of subjective rationalization of worthiness by human voters. That will always create a grey area wherein people will be able to craft legitimate arguments about why someone who is in the Hall of Fame shouldn't be, why someone who isn't should be, and why one person is more deserving than another. It's a flawed system, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the honor and the shrine itself should be non-existent. The risk of those hard feelings among fans and former players is rather minimal compared to the pride that is shared among the players and fans during a celebration of the best the franchise has had to offer. The Reds have done an excellent job celebrating their history - both teams and players - and the fans in general can't get enough of it.

Sports are supposed to be fun. Entities such as a Ring of Honor or a team Hall of Fame and the induction ceremonies related to them are most definitely fun. Hopefully, the Bengals realize this and act in time for the franchise's 50th season.
Reply/Quote
They will do it to coincide with the 50th anniversary.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 08:28 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: They will do it to coincide with the 50th anniversary.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be more special if they just waited until the 100th anniversary?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 09:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but wouldn't it be more special if they just waited until the 100th anniversary?

Uhhhh. Yeah!

If 50 is good, 100 would have to be twice as good. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
"Something" is going to happen with the 50th season next year. What, we have no idea. Just think - in 2015 Mike says he's heard the arguments and admits it's his fault for not having something. In 2016 he says hey, next year is our 50th so we'll talk about it then. I think for those fans who want at least a little recognition for some players - or teams - something is on its way. I'm sure it won't be enough for most, even if it was crazy over the top, but it's a start.

To that end, let me shout out Paul Dehner Jr. and our guy Mike Nyerges for our own Ring of Honor podcast series and videos. Here is the last one of four inductees - with links to the first three: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/07/25/bengals-ring-honor-podcast-series-chad-johnson-guest-mo-egger/87519772/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
The time to consider it was 20 years ago. The time to follow through and actually do it has long since passed. It's something the fanbase wants, and most, myself included, thinking it's something that both the players and community deserve.

I mean, it really be as simple as recognizing that the people that support you, financially and emotionally, want it done and you want to your fans to be happy. It makes business sense, and it makes football sense. I really fail to see anything else holding it back other than stubbornness. And since you haven't exactly exceeded the on the field expectations during your tenure, and you have a community that has poured an absolutely ridiculous amount of money into your stadium, it seems like such a small, small concession to make.

He said he was considering it last year. He said he was considering the practice facility almost 7 years ago. Neither has happened. So I won't hold my breath for 2017. And I would honestly appreciate him simply saying no than patronizing his fans by continue to consider it. Either do it, or don't.

This is the stuff that really gets to me. It does seem like a slap in the face, and just such a boneheaded stance to take when you given so very litte in return for what was given to you. I don't think Mike Brown is a bad man. In fact, I think he's probably a better human being than the majority of the other owners. He seems more relatable than most. But man is he frustrating. I just don't get it.
Reply/Quote
Taking off homer glasses we have about 3 guys that belong in a ROH. We should have like a Corner of Honor
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote