Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mike Giardi Twitter thread on Bengals
I thought this was a remarkable thread for a couple of reasons. One is because he waited more than a week to post which means he's been thinking about it and it wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction. Two, because NFL reporters are in locker rooms all the time, the fact that this stood out to him enough to post about it a week later tells us just how unusual the Bengal's locker room really is.

It is a testament to Zac, his assistants, and the players on our team. They represent our city well

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's a culture.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 02:58 PM)pally Wrote: I thought this was a remarkable thread for a couple of reasons.  One is because he waited more than a week to post which means he's been thinking about it and it wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction.  Two, because NFL reporters are in locker rooms all the time, the fact that this stood out to him enough to post about it a week later tells us just how unusual the Bengal's locker room really is.

It is a testament to Zac, his assistants, and the players on our team.  They represent our city well

Just more reasons to love this team.  I've been a fan for a few years -- actually, all of them -- and I believe that this was my all-time favorite Bengals team.  I believe that what you do is not as important as how you do it.  This organization does it right, on and off the field.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 02:58 PM)pally Wrote: I thought this was a remarkable thread for a couple of reasons.  One is because he waited more than a week to post which means he's been thinking about it and it wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction.  Two, because NFL reporters are in locker rooms all the time, the fact that this stood out to him enough to post about it a week later tells us just how unusual the Bengal's locker room really is.

It is a testament to Zac, his assistants, and the players on our team.  They represent our city well

It hurt we lost, but it is fun to think we can be in the conversation in the immediate future to get back to the Super Bowl. Yes, it will be tough as we have to pay our young guns, but I believe in the FO, I believe in ZT.

We have to continue to draft well and then spend wisely in FA including keeping our own. But, I am enjoying the journey, fun times finally for Bengals fans.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Nice thread alright Pally. That is what is great about this team is it is a family. We will be back and this might have been needed
for players like Ossai and others to really grow. That was about as tough of a way for a Championship game to end for a young
player, but I love how BJ and Trey had his back and the way Zac Taylor and Lou coach this team.

As Luvnit said, great times to be a Bengals fan. Been a long time coming. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread alright Pally. That is what is great about this team is it is a family. We will be back and this might have been needed
for players like Ossai and others to really grow. That was about as tough of a way for a Championship game to end for a young
player, but I love how BJ and Trey had his back and the way Zac Taylor and Lou coach this team.

As Luvnit said, great times to be a Bengals fan. Been a long time coming. Rock On

Agree with everything you said.

The loss hurt big time. But it also showed the world -- and Bengals fans once again -- the character of this team. I've been a Bengals fan since '68 and this current incarnation is my favorite team by far.
Reply/Quote
Nice read. And I agree with others. One thing I like about this team is that it seems most of the team members respect each other not only as players on the field but also as people off the field.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting Pally, nice read

I love this team ThumbsUp And in the words of Steven Tyler: I know, nobody knows, where it comes and where it goes. I know, it's everybody's sin. You got to Lose to know how to win

We're just at the beginning, still.
Reply/Quote
Culture matters, anyone who doesn't think that doesn't really understand sports. It's not everything in terms of wins and losses but it helps keep things repeatable because bad culture leads to rapid swings as nothing is grounded in anything. Some folks were saying early on that losing was the only focus early in Zach's tenure while discrediting the cultural wins. Things like moving on from guys who weren't buying in mattered and the bigger picture of winning and losing but some weren't willing to take a step back to take a leap forward.
Reply/Quote
I always think it's interesting to consider the fan's position in something like this. In the moment- at least online- there was nobody more vocal in their criticism of Ossai than the typical Bengals fan. They/we were really letting him have it. I'm sure if you checked the game thread here you'd see some extreme takes. For that matter it was reflected by the team themselves as we saw with Pratt (who to this credit at least apologized). Presumably many of those critics are now celebrating the team's culture as shown by leaders like Hill and Hendrickson standing by Ossai post-game. And then you have idiots like me who are forcing us all to look in the mirror lol. Life is one wild trip down Hypocrisy Blvd
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 06:15 PM)tms Wrote: I always think it's interesting to consider the fan's position in something like this. In the moment- at least online- there was nobody more vocal in their criticism of Ossai than the typical Bengals fan. They/we were really letting him have it. I'm sure if you checked the game thread here you'd see some extreme takes. For that matter it was reflected by the team themselves as we saw with Pratt (who to this credit at least apologized). Presumably many of those critics are now celebrating the team's culture as shown by leaders like Hill and Hendrickson standing by Ossai post-game. And then you have idiots like me who are forcing us all to look in the mirror lol. Life is one wild trip down Hypocrisy Blvd

I was much more aggravated at Pratt’s sorry attempt at Pacheco than Ossai’s mistake. But you’re right, most fans were all over Ossai. I did say to my dad who I watched it with, “well I’ve seen worse not called, but that’ll likely do it.”
Reply/Quote
All credit to Katie and whoever else is running this team now.

Light years difference to organization pre Zack.
Reply/Quote
Not to pick on Marvin, but this is the biggest difference between head coaches. Zac has created a great culture where Marvin thought other things were more important(raw talent, etc) and ultimately bit him in the ass in the big games.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 06:23 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I was much more aggravated at Pratt’s sorry attempt at Pacheco than Ossai’s mistake. But you’re right, most fans were all over Ossai. I did say to my dad who I watched it with, “well I’ve seen worse not called, but that’ll likely do it.”

Yeah, I think fans were just so crushed that they needed a scapegoat. I get it. I think players do too. But it's another reason why I don't blame players for keeping fans at arm's length. We're not really on the team and they're right not to take us seriously. But at the same time they do need us, and at times we might even sway outcomes from winning to losing (and vice versa). Such a bizarre relationship. 

I do want to point out that the media was as guilty as the fans here. In some cases worse. They fully jumped aboard the Hate Train. You could count on one hand the # of scribes who mentioned that Ossai- after being double teamed- had to run 40 yards to catch Mahomes. To say nothing of how Mahomes played the snap to perfection and how Burrow might have done the same to get the flag. Short of looking down at his feet while running full speed and making a split-second judgment "not to touch the quarterback!" it was a classic damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for Ossai. But there was no one there in the moment to contextualize things on his behalf- not the team, not the fans and certainly not the media. I guess that's life for these guys. 

Edit: I also wanna say that the journalist who posted the Pratt vid is a coward. He/she/they should apologize too. They knew what they were doing: just fueling the fire. Totally juvenile and irresponsible.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 06:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: Not to pick on Marvin, but this is the biggest difference between head coaches. Zac has created a great culture where Marvin thought other things were more important(raw talent, etc) and ultimately bit him in the ass in the big games.

Not to defend Marvin, but Marvin never had the luxury of being able to be picky. He wasn't able to spend money to add good talent through FA, so if the Bengals wanted to ever have a chance of competing with other teams they had to take chances on guys. It doesn't mean Marvin didn't think it was important, it means he had no other choice.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The info in the tweet reflects that Zac understands leadership is a process involving himself as the formal leader and his players; likely others within the organization as well. I'm glad he's our coach despite any past concerns I once had.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 03:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's a culture.

You can't build those.....they don't matter. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 03:39 PM)Nepa Wrote: Agree with everything you said.

The loss hurt big time. But it also showed the world -- and Bengals fans once again -- the character of this team. I've been a Bengals fan since '68 and this current incarnation is my favorite team by far.

They finally passed Sammy and the boys for me. But it's still close, lol

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Culture …. In the immortal words of FredToast “ it don’t matter “
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The culture of this team gives me chills. The heart that comes with it should be frightening to our competitors. This is a future not many could of dreamed.

Reply/Quote