Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hilton to the Bengals
(03-16-2021, 03:59 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Well it allows them to switch focus early in the draft.  I can see wr, ot and og.  Or ot, edge og if we snag a decent wr in free agency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This means that we are counting on Sewell to be there, if not we will be reaching to get Slater at 5 or Darrrisaw. Don't get me wrong I love Darrisaw and think he'll be a great tackle, but literally every team in the league will be able to predict our draft targets. Anything goes wrong, like a team trading in front of us (how we ended up with Price) and we are absolutely screwed.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 03:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They're essentially clearing the way for the draft to be all offense.

I don't hate the idea. I just really hope the draft falls the way we want. I still remember 2019, when Kaleb McGary, Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, Cody Ford and Dalton Risner went in the 10 picks prior to our 2nd rounder...

That was not a great time...

Are they though?
They just have replacements for Lawson, WJ3, and Alexander. They still could use two more DL, and possibly a LB. Unless you have faith Atkins will get back to his old self and the LBs taking that next step in preseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are they though?
They just have replacements for Lawson, WJ3, and Alexander. They still could use two more DL, and possibly a LB. Unless you have faith Atkins will get back to his old self and the LBs taking that next step in preseason.

I have to think Atkins is part of the plan for next year at this point.

Still be nice to restructure that deal and get his cap number down.

As to the signing of Hilton, it seems like the Bengals have a type for their CBs for the upcoming season. Guys who will get in there and attack in the running game, solid tacklers and zone guys.

Looking like a no man coverage type of season.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 03:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They're essentially clearing the way for the draft to be all offense.

I don't hate the idea. I just really hope the draft falls the way we want. I still remember 2019, when Kaleb McGary, Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, Cody Ford and Dalton Risner went in the 10 picks prior to our 2nd rounder...

That was not a great time...

Joe and Zach could use some experience on that side of the ball
Reply/Quote
Not a bad pickup, but.....

[Image: major-league-theyre-still-shitty-1.jpg?w=651&ssl=1]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Improving this defense was not something that was going to happen this off season. That will only happen with recovery from injuries. They have a lot of money on the defense right now. Replacing what was leaving and hoping Reader, Atkins, Waynes and Tupou come back and produce while Wilson, ADG and Pratt continue to develop is the way to improve this defense.

They still need a pass rusher, which we can get in the draft. But my point is this free agency period tells me "OT/OT in rounds 1 and 2"
Reply/Quote
Like this type of tackling from a CB.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Like this type of tackling from a CB.

For several seasons, the Bengals have been very poor at tackling on the boundary....they were a bit improved last year, and look to be improving even more with a signing like this.... although I would like to have kept Mack too. Bell is a good tackler, Hilton, Bates, Wayne's ain't bad....get the backers to improve some, and all the sudden a weakness becomes a strength. Now....about that pass rush and blocking.....

How's this other CB, he a good open field tackler?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

In reality, if Waynes/Awuzie/Hilton, and Hendrickson all end up on the field with Reader next year the defense is better simply from guys playing snaps. We never had Waynes last year and we know we missed WJ3 and Alexander at times last year. Let's put it this way if LeShaun Sims isn't seeing major playing time next year the defense is better by default. 
Reply/Quote
Steelers fans aren't very happy about losing Hilton, which is an added bonus.

[Image: BlackFineChicken-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Improving this defense was not something that was going to happen this off season. That will only happen with recovery from injuries. They have a lot of money on the defense right now. Replacing what was leaving and hoping Reader, Atkins, Waynes and Tupou come back and produce while Wilson, ADG and Pratt continue to develop is the way to improve this defense.

They still need a pass rusher, which we can get in the draft. But my point is this free agency period tells me "OT/OT in rounds 1 and 2"

They need two pass rushers, but they can both come in the draft. Hubbard doesn't offer enough of a pass rush, but he's real good against the run.
Even if Atkins is back to form, he's a stopgap for just a year or two at this point.

Let's say though that they go OL in Rds 1 and 2.
Then they could go DE and DT in Rds 3 and 4. The DL added would get to be part of a rotation, but not forced to start.

I bring this up because I think people need to prepare themselves for another underwhelming season where the Bengals may not make the playoffs, but may improve on their win total by a couple. It'd be progress, but it'd be slow.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This means that we are counting on Sewell to be there, if not we will be reaching to get Slater at 5 or Darrrisaw. Don't get me wrong I love Darrisaw and think he'll be a great tackle, but literally every team in the league will be able to predict our draft targets. Anything goes wrong, like a team trading in front of us (how we ended up with Price) and we are absolutely screwed.

trade down grab more picks day 2
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: In reality, if Waynes/Awuzie/Hilton, and Hendrickson all end up on the field with Reader next year the defense is better simply from guys playing snaps. We never had Waynes last year and we know we missed WJ3 and Alexander at times last year. Let's put it this way if LeShaun Sims isn't seeing major playing time next year the defense is better by default. 

I get what you are saying, but the way I see the defense now is they only have 1 real playmaker in Bates, and maybe 1-2 others if Atkins gets back to form and/or Hendrickson proves his 2020 wasn't a fluke.

I'm just preparing for the worst I guess.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They need two pass rushers, but they can both come in the draft. Hubbard doesn't offer enough of a pass rush, but he's real good against the run.
Even if Atkins is back to form, he's a stopgap for just a year or two at this point.

Let's say though that they go OL in Rds 1 and 2.
Then they could go DE and DT in Rds 3 and 4. The DL added would get to be part of a rotation, but not forced to start.

I bring this up because I think people need to prepare themselves for another underwhelming season where the Bengals may not make the playoffs, but may improve on their win total by a couple. It'd be progress, but it'd be slow.

I'd still look for a late veteran add in terms of a pass rusher, I am eyeing Oliver Vernon potentially. Then you are probably looking at DE in round 2. I think OL in 1 and 3 makes sense, but the other option is a slide back in one and takes someone like Darrishaw while adding another 2 and then double up at OL with a guard and pass rusher. This class will have guards/centers in the 3rd that can start day one
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get what you are saying, but the way I see the defense now is they only have 1 real playmaker in Bates, and maybe 1-2 others if Atkins gets back to form and/or Hendrickson proves his 2020 wasn't a fluke.

WJIII and Lawson were not playmakers. So it’s all the same considering.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get what you are saying, but the way I see the defense now is they only have 1 real playmaker in Bates, and maybe 1-2 others if Atkins gets back to form and/or Hendrickson proves his 2020 wasn't a fluke.

I think Hilton can actually be a playmaker. He has some ball skills and his ability to blitz has been noted as well. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think Hilton can actually be a playmaker. He has some ball skills and his ability to blitz has been noted as well. 

Still would like to see them add another pass rusher Edge or Interior in free agency plus one on day 2...and late day 3 lol.

Of course while they're at it 4 new offensive linemen 2 new receivers a safety corner TE and a linebacker. Lol
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This is a good pickup. The Bengals need to get some OL in FA or they will back themselves in a corner come daft time. We need a WR and honestly was hoping for Chase while we addressed some proven offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote
Really happy with this signing, Best FA pick up so far
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 04:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: For several seasons, the Bengals have been very poor at tackling on the boundary....they were a bit improved last year, and look to be improving even more with a signing like this.... although I would like to have kept Mack too. Bell is a good tackler, Hilton, Bates, Wayne's ain't bad....get the backers to improve some, and all the sudden a weakness becomes a strength. Now....about that pass rush and blocking.....

How's this other CB, he a good open field tackler?

From what I read, he too is a solid tackler and will help with run support.

Reply/Quote