Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike & Marvin will view outraged Fanbase as Unfair evaluators of injury plagued 2018
Turn on talk Radio in Cincinnati and you will hear the outrage from Radio Hosts, guests and fans phoning in.

All likely hoping that Mike & Marvin are listening and ready to admit defeat & make Big changes.

But how may Mike & Marvin really view all of this ?

I tend to think they will see themselves as the True NFL Experts & best equipped to diagnose the 2018 season.

In Mike & Marvin's mind they are likely "the 5 Straight Playoff Organization" & 2018 was merely derailed by a MASH UNIT of injuries.

AJ Green, Dalton, Preston Brown, Burfict, Eifert, Tyler Kroft, Glasgow, Carl Lawson, Cordy Glenn,  etc.

Mike & Marvin may view the Fan outrage as a Juvenile response that unfairly labels their 2018 team.

I doubt the outcry of Talk Radio and elsewhere moves even the tip of the Organization's Iceberg towards Major Change.

Marvin even seems to have a spring in his step on the sidelines with a walkie talkie & Hue at his side. In the Trenches Coaching the Defense once again.

I think Marvin is actually gearing up to Coach this team again in 2019 and both he and Mike are excited about heading into the Best part of the season for the Bengal Organization.  The Offseason.

Scouting players and getting ready for the Draft with a Clean Slate for the upcoming season.

Their team has the potential to be anything and everything during the Offseason.  A Hopeful & fun time.

Their Best of Times and they expect to be much Healthier in 2019 after all. Then mix in some new rookie faces.

Sky is the Limit and Average outraged Fan who they likely deem as less informed isn't going to dampen their Offseason reload. Their New Plan.

Fans hoping for and expecting Big Changes & pointing to the 2018 season as the Final Straw that breaks Mike & Marvin's back may not remember exactly who they are dealing with.
Reply/Quote
“He would get a lot of letters from people who were angry or upset with the way things had gone. I know he would read them all, and he would wrestle sometimes when somebody made a particularly good analytical argument against what he was doing. But in the end, he believed he had a logical, reasonable answer to that.”

- Jack Brennan, Bengals former PR director

“I’m not deaf to outside opinion. I’m aware of it. That doesn’t mean I always agree. I’ll do what I think I should do. You have the freedom to tell me that I shouldn’t. And you do. Fine. That ain’t gonna change.” 

- Mike Brown, 2017, Cincinnati Magazine
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: “He would get a lot of letters from people who were angry or upset with the way things had gone. I know he would read them all, and he would wrestle sometimes when somebody made a particularly good analytical argument against what he was doing. But in the end, he believed he had a logical, reasonable answer to that.”

- Jack Brennan, Bengals former PR director

“I’m not deaf to outside opinion. I’m aware of it. That doesn’t mean I always agree. I’ll do what I think I should do. You have the freedom to tell me that I shouldn’t. And you do. Fine. That ain’t gonna change.” 

- Mike Brown, 2017, Cincinnati Magazine

I do think that the Injury out for 2018 is one that Mike can easily sink his teeth into.

If Antonio Brown and Big Ben had gone down for the rest of the 2018 season, then the Steelers would be finished & their Fans would likely understand.

Mike may then expect Bengal Fans to understand when AJ Green & Dalton both go down, plus many other injuries.

Fans that won't factor this in may seem out of touch to Mike.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:15 PM)depthchart Wrote: I do think that the Injury out for 2018 is one that Mike can easily sink his teeth into.

If Antonio Brown and Big Ben had gone down for the rest of the 2018 season, then the Steelers would be finished & their Fans would likely understand.

Mike may then expect Bengal Fans to understand when AJ Green & Dalton both go down, plus many other injuries.

Honestly though, Mike has always thought the fans, media and critics were out in left field and couldn't appreciate his way of doing things. I understand what you're saying about the injury excuse and it did have a big impact on the season and Mike will use it...but really, if it wasn't that, he would find something else to blame this year on. It's just what he does, what he's always done. He's always been long on excuses and short on results. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:15 PM)depthchart Wrote: I do think that the Injury out for 2018 is one that Mike can easily sink his teeth into.

I do agree, as well as a lot of fans, that injuries killed us this year. My problems with this team are these 3 things:
1) Hiring and keeping Austin till it was too late.
2) O-line is wreck, I believe Pollack can turn things around but the FO needs to give him quality people
3) They promised fans change and they did to certain extent. The entire aura had to change and it didn't. We reverted back to our old selves when things got tough. I'm not lying when we score the go ahead TD in the Steelers game, I knew we would lose. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Honestly though, Mike has always thought the fans, media and critics were out in left field and couldn't appreciate his way of doing things. I understand what you're saying about the injury excuse and it did have a big impact on the season, but really, if it wasn't that, he would find something else to blame this year on. It's just what he does, what he's always done. He's always been long on excuses and short on results. 

you forgot, slow to act on anything...
Reply/Quote
Halftime adjustments are "Journalistic Jargon".
[Image: marvin-lewis.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1]
[Image: marvin-lewis-deal-2015.jpg]

I seriously doubt either one give two shits about what is being said.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:48 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I seriously doubt either one give two shits about what is being said.

Exactly.

Fans I hear on the Radio and elsewhere seem to be on the edge of their seat expecting that the 2018 season is the Final Straw that was so Bad that Mike and/or Marvin will finally see the Light and Change. These fans will even see that change happens by not going to games if need be.

Meanwhile, I see Mike & Marvin as being in their own Universe of being "the 5 straight Playoff appearance" organization and understanding more than outraged fans do that Injuries killed the 2018 team.

We will simply move at a Glacier like pace into another Mike & Marvin led offseason despite all of the Fan uproar.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:56 PM)depthchart Wrote: Exactly.

Fans I hear on the Radio and elsewhere seem to be on the edge of their seat expecting that the 2018 season is the Final Straw that was so Bad that Mike and/or Marvin will finally see the Light and Change. These fans will even see that change happens by not going to games if need be.

Meanwhile, I see Mike & Marvin as being in their own Universe of being "the 5 straight Playoff appearance" organization and understanding more than outraged fans do that Injuries killed the 2018 team.

We will simply move at a Glacier like pace into another Mike & Marvin led offseason despite all of the Fan uproar.

No doubt about that.  Whatever
Reply/Quote

You mean like if they had to play 2018 without their 2x Pro Bowl linebacker, their x3 All-Pro RB held out all year, and they still held the division lead after Week 14?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 05:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You mean like if they had to play 2018 without their 2x Pro Bowl linebacker, their x3 All-Pro RB held out all year, and they still held the division lead after Week 14?

The Steelers have overcome a lot this year, however, losing both Antonio Brown & Big Ben would be more of a fair equivalent to the Bengals losing AJ Green & Dalton. Especially to Mike, IMO.
Reply/Quote
Running outside and not running a QB sneak on 4th and inches has nothing to do with injuries. Punting with 7 minutes to go and down by 2 scores has nothing to do with injuries. Panic coaching and going for 2 points in the first half has nothing to do with injuries. Rarely using blitzing all year had nothing to do with injuries. This board is an example of diehard fans but at some point the general fan base will say enough is enough. Losing isn’t fun and there hasn’t been enough big game wins to sustain a fan base forever. Excuses are just that!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 04:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Honestly though, Mike has always thought the fans, media and critics were out in left field and couldn't appreciate his way of doing things. I understand what you're saying about the injury excuse and it did have a big impact on the season and Mike will use it...but really, if it wasn't that, he would find something else to blame this year on. It's just what he does, what he's always done. He's always been long on excuses and short on results. 

Yeah, we fans have our theories. Thing is so does the media, plus former team members and employees. Little things like more than 20,000 fewer game patrons (than maximum) don't seem to register. To me the one simple "plain as the nose on your face" element is the God-awful product that Mike Brown presents to the public each week. If nothing else, can he not see that his team is not playing the same caliber of football that 90% of the remaining teams play? 

And what about those that do have his ear? Have they helped in preventing worse results, or are they just enjoying the ride for as long as it lasts? This organization has no leadership that any talented/well-intentioned underling can turn to for support, as far as I can tell. How sustainable is this? Will the city of Cincinnati be facing the loss of this franchise in the not too distant future, all because of this egocentric/greedy patriarch?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Here is a list of every NFL GM/coach/owner who thinks the fans know more than them.  .  .  .  

*Stop trying to act like Mike Brown is Satan because he thinks the same way as every other owner/GM in the league.*
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a list of every NFL GM/coach/owner who thinks the fans know more than them.  .  .  .  

*Stop trying to act like Mike Brown is Satan because he thinks the same way as every other owner/GM in the league.*

But Mike is a Beelzebub for not ever giving Marvin even a sniff of a good Roster, huh Fred.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 06:08 PM)depthchart Wrote: But Mike is a Beelzebub for not ever giving Marvin even a sniff of a good Roster, huh Fred.

No.  Never said that.

That is the strawman you made up because you could not argue with what I really said.
Reply/Quote
They may use the plethora of injuries to excuse the 2018 season, but here's something worth noting for players who have missed time in at least three seasons and how many total seasons they have missed at least three games in a season...

AJ Green - 3 seasons (out of 8 - 37.5%)
Tyler Eifert - 5 seasons (out of 6 - 83%)
Vontaze Burfict - 5 seasons (out of 7 - 71%)
Cordy Glenn - 4 seasons (out of 7 - 57%)

Point being you are depending heavily on the above four guys are key cogs to the Bengals being successful, a huge drop off if they go down, and you know they have missed a good chunk of time in at least a few seasons in their career. It's your responsibility to make sure you have backups that can help pick up the slack if/when they go down because it's at least somewhat likely they go down for some time based on lack of durability in the past.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 06:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  Never said that.

That is the strawman you made up because you could not argue with what I really said.

You lost those arguments, Fred.

You hide Marvin's Coaching aptitude behind the "Mike is a bad owner" shield.

Yet just admitted that Marvin has had good Rosters or maybe just a sniff of one.

In your world, Marvin is a Picasso level Artist who gets handed a Toy paint set to work with by his Owner; while Mike Tomlin has an Elite Art Studio full of the finest brushes & paints to work with even when Tomlin has some of those brushes watching injured from the sidelines.

Marvin always Roster deficient in a Loss and never even a possibility he got outcoached in a game.

Beelzebub's fault...
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 05:09 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Steelers have overcome a lot this year, however, losing both Antonio Brown & Big Ben would be more of a fair equivalent to the Bengals losing AJ Green & Dalton. Especially to Mike, IMO.

Except the Bengals were 5-6 in Dalton's 11 starts.

You don't get to blame a losing season on your QB getting hurt if you were already losing through almost 3/4ths of the season passed before he got hurt.

Ben Roethlisberger only made 11 starts in 2015 when the Steelers beat the Bengals. Le'Veon Bell played 6 games that season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 06:52 PM)depthchart Wrote: You lost those arguments, Fred.

No I didn't.  I quoted a thread you made where you said the front office's failure to bring in more talent hurt our O-line and our O-line coaches ability to do his job.

Then you tried to play make believe and claim that Marvin Lewis controlled the free agent signings instead of Mike Brown.  You were never able to provide anything to back this claim other than stuff you made up in your own head.

You want me to post links so that everyone can read it for themselves?
Reply/Quote