Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Mcglinchey
The more I think about it the more I think this guy has to be the pick if he is there.

If he is available when we go on the clock we are getting a gift and need to jump on it.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The more I think about it the more I think this guy has to be the pick if he is there.

If he is available when we go on the clock we are getting a gift and need to jump on it.

Agreed.  His ceiling might not be as high as some of the risk/reward players like Williams, for example.  However, I see McGlinchey as likely the surest, safe bet to be a consistently good OT for a long number of years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed.  His ceiling might not be as high as some of the risk/reward players like Williams, for example.  However, I see McGlinchey as likely the surest, safe bet to be a consistently good OT for a long number of years.

I favor solid versus risk/reward. Especially when we have little to fall back on. This ain't the time to gamble with the rent money. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:38 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I favor solid versus risk/reward. Especially when we have little to fall back on. This ain't the time to gamble with the rent money. 

Right, and the guy is going to be very coachable, and ready for plug and play.  Notre Dame has a habit of turning out quality linemen that are smart and disciplined.

I'm with you on this, I'd rather have the sure thing over the risk/reward player, all day every day.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wish he were stronger. Ced has kinda turned me off the weaker LTs. I think I might prefer Zeus Jr, but I'd rather wait and get a dog (Okorafor, Crosby, ect...) a round or 2 later.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 08:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wish he were stronger. Ced has kinda turned me off the weaker LTs. I think I might prefer Zeus Jr, but I'd rather wait and get a dog (Okorafor, Crosby, ect...) a round or 2 later.

Tyrell Crosby has grown on me since the Senior Bowl. Just an absolute nasty demeanor with the size and length to back it up.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 08:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wish he were stronger. Ced has kinda turned me off the weaker LTs. I think I might prefer Zeus Jr, but I'd rather wait and get a dog (Okorafor, Crosby, ect...) a round or 2 later.

I wouldnt call him weak. Sure he could ad strength. 

Ced had/has bigger issues than just strength.

Mcglinchy is a dog. Just so happens we could use more than one... So maybe after adding the cleanest tackle prospect in the draft we can dip into the mix again later.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, and the guy is going to be very coachable, and ready for plug and play.  Notre Dame has a habit of turning out quality linemen that are smart and disciplined.

I'm with you on this, I'd rather have the sure thing over the risk/reward player, all day every day.

Team leader. Quality human being. Who went back to college even after getting a first round grade from the draft advisory board.

All the tools you could ask for. Nothing needs to be overhauled just refined.

When im watching these these top tackles he has had the least number of concerning plays.

We ended the year with Boling and Winston playing tackle for us. Adding the guy who came into the year as the unanimous top tackle and ended the year still right in that mix would be a big win for us.
Reply/Quote
Wanted him last year before he decided to go back to school and would love to grab him this year. May not be the most exciting pick for some people, but I agree he’s a safe choice who will definitely make our team better. I think he’s underrated by many on this board
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 09:58 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Wanted him last year before he decided to go back to school and would love to grab him this year. May not be the most exciting pick for some people, but I agree he’s a safe choice who will definitely make our team better. I think he’s underrated by many on this board

For whatever reason i was one who was overlooking him. I guess being overshadowed by the world beater guard next to him had something to do with it. 

He has a shitload of healthy high end football under his belt against big time schools. 

Health issues? No.
So big he can barely move? No.
One year wonder? No.
New to football? No.

He is the last one of the upper tier tackles i started watching. And i asked myself why the hell have i been slipping on this guy. No longer more
Reply/Quote
Would be happy with him or his ND sidekick Nelson

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
At the very least he could be an immediate starter on the right side. At best he's the answer at left tackle.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 11:02 PM)samhain Wrote: At the very least he could be an immediate starter on the right side.  At best he's the answer at left tackle.

Definitely get you on that but if I'm going to wish for something, it's going to be for the best. Whatever that turns out to be.....has to be a new LT - right?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The more I think about it the more I think this guy has to be the pick if he is there.

I think he's the best option of the tackles - just feels early at #12... not a great year to be hunting for OT unfortunately.

If they're really high on what they think is a pro bowl/all pro talent at LB or DT say should they not go for that?

The best scenario for me is if Q.Nelson hangs around till our pick and we keep Boling at LT. 
Reply/Quote
If not one of the top 2 lbs, or the best guard, I'd hope that the pick is McGlinchey or the best DT.

Orlando Brown just doesn't look like an NFL lineman from snap to snap - way too upright.  Derwin James reminds me of Shaq Thompson from three years ago - possibly a better Taylor Mays/big nickel dude. 
Reply/Quote
Mike McGlinchey | 6'4 | 310 | OT | Notre Dame - McGlinchey is overrated by most. He can struggle vs. quick-twitch edge players and those who exhibit power. He has a ton of experience and is steady enough against average competition to warrant some early looks. But, his play against Malik McDowell last year and Bradley Chubb in 2017 left a lot to be desired. His games against Georgia and Miami did nothing to help his cause either. He's a solid OT, but should not be looked upon as a first round LT prospect.

What bothers me is that in the elite match ups, he was less effective. He will be facing elite every week in the NFL. I want to like the guy, but at 12 this is my issue. He's a reach.
Reply/Quote
I've been a big fan of McGlinchey this whole time. I get his limitation with certain smaller speed rushers, but I don't really see any other limitation outside of that. He's about as safe as they come, at least in this draft class. Would be happy to see him selected at 12, but I also would understand if the Bengals look for someone with a higher ceiling instead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:10 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Mike McGlinchey | 6'4 | 310 | OT | Notre Dame - McGlinchey is overrated by most. He can struggle vs. quick-twitch edge players and those who exhibit power. He has a ton of experience and is steady enough against average competition to warrant some early looks. But, his play against Malik McDowell last year and Bradley Chubb in 2017 left a lot to be desired. His games against Georgia and Miami did nothing to help his cause either. He's a solid OT, but should not be looked upon as a first round LT prospect.

What bothers me is that in the elite match ups, he was less effective.  He will be facing elite every week in the NFL.  I want to like the guy, but at 12 this is my issue.  He's a reach.

Ive seen him listed at 6'7" and 6'8"
First time seeing 6'4" so im questioning the source.

I thought he held his own against chubb. 

Taking the #1 tackle in the draft at 12 is not a reach when Boling and Winston were your starting tackles at the end of the year
Reply/Quote
I've been saying for awhile at 12 we should pick McGlinchey...
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 03:19 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ive seen him listed at 6'7" and 6'8"
First time seeing 6'4" so im questioning the source.

I thought he held his own against chubb. 

Taking the #1 tackle in the draft at 12 is not a reach when Boling and Winston were your starting tackles at the end of the year

I feel a lot of people are being very critical of his pass protection even though practically every OT struggles in some regard to pass protection.
McGlinchey has demonstrated issues with pure speed rushers with bend and somewhat with power, but I think he can definitely improve against power even with just one offseason of dedication, as it's not a huge weakness right now. He's a technician, which will help him a lot.
Something too that I see overlooked by a lot of people is his ability in the run game. If he can boost the run game as he should, that likely would result in more rushing attempts and fewer pass blocking attempts. That helps negate McGlinchey's weaknesses in the passing game.

Will there be better overall players than him at 12? Very likely. I consider him in the mid-late teens as a prospect. But at this point, the Bengals can't fully control where they pick because you need a trade partner to move. It's not like we're talking about McGlinchey in the Top 5. A few spots early isn't that big of a deal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote