Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Mcglinchey
(03-01-2018, 10:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I got that.  Anyhow, the NFL.com draft profile has McGlinchey listed as 6'8".  I'm not convinced that height is an advantage, as much as it is a detriment, when faced with smaller, quicker edge rushers.  

I don't see the height specifically being the main cause of that. Whitworth is 6'7" and does just fine.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All of the top tackles have warts. It's starting to look like 12 is too rich for OT. Which is bad news for the Bengals unless they trade back.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I got that.  Anyhow, the NFL.com draft profile has McGlinchey listed as 6'8".  I'm not convinced that height is an advantage, as much as it is a detriment, when faced with smaller, quicker edge rushers.  

Height is a great asset for a LT going against a quick edge rusher. It can be a determent if a bull rusher gets into their body. As to McGlinchey: PK said he sets up lower than any taller LT he's seen.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 07:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: The more I think about it the more I think this guy has to be the pick if he is there.

If he is available when we go on the clock we are getting a gift and need to jump on it.

This is pretty accurate, but I don't see him being there.  Offensive tackles that can start on the left side are like elite CBs.  Everyone projects them lower than they actually end up being selected.  Remember the tackle from Utah (I think) that went early to Denver?  I see Mcglinchey being the same way, but I agree if he fell to the Bengals it would be a blessing. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 08:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wish he were stronger. Ced has kinda turned me off the weaker LTs. I think I might prefer Zeus Jr, but I'd rather wait and get a dog (Okorafor, Crosby, ect...) a round or 2 later.

I wouldn't spend #12 overall on Zeus Jr as he is more of a RT, and although we could use that, maybe he would be there in Rd 2.  I think scouts will not make him a LT prospect and he will fall.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 07:29 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If not one of the top 2 lbs, or the best guard, I'd hope that the pick is McGlinchey or the best DT.

Orlando Brown just doesn't look like an NFL lineman from snap to snap - way too upright.  Derwin James reminds me of Shaq Thompson from three years ago - possibly a better Taylor Mays/big nickel dude. 

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, but maybe in a bit different order.  

I would go with McGlinchey as highest rated, then the two LBs, then Vita Vea.  I don't see CB on our radar in Rd 1, nor do I see Guard.  Even though that was a major hole a year ago, the Bengals showed they have solid choices in both Westerman and Redmond who looked very promising in their first action.  They have Boling, too, should they decide to keep him at LG. 

A part of me can't help but think it might make more sense to try Boling at LT and have the entire offseason to work with that, and Westerman and Redmond as your guards....then you only need address Center and possibly RT, even though Fisher has been cleared.  

I still am hopeful they do the unthinkable and sign the FA center from Baltimore, Ryan Jensen, and then take the LB in Rd 1 and perhaps Zeus Jr for RT in Rd 2, should he be available.  
Reply/Quote
If the rest of the organization has the same thought as Tobin that Nelson could play all five OL spots, he has to be the pick if there (likely won't).
If not Nelson, I'm in favor of McGlinchey to fill a need with what should be a solid starter.
Also fine with Smith or Edmunds at LB, Fitzpatrick at DB, or Chubb at DE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 10:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't spend #12 overall on Zeus Jr as he is more of a RT, and although we could use that, maybe he would be there in Rd 2.  I think scouts will not make him a LT prospect and he will fall.  

I agree, I think we might be able to snatch him in the 2nd, or the guy from Western Michigan.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 11:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Definitely get you on that but if I'm going to wish for something, it's going to be for the best. Whatever that turns out to be.....has to be a new LT - right?

Ideally, yes.  It really depends on the class and whether or not there's a true LT available at 12.  It sure looks like there isn't.  

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, our RT AND LT are both trash, so we can go either way.
Reply/Quote