Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Personnel
(10-23-2015, 11:41 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Personally, I find it a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I sense that the person sending the message has some political agenda in saying it (which happens a lot). I find it less annoying if I feel the person saying it would say the same thing to an EMT or a fireman or even a teacher.

People thanked me with their tax dollars for 14 years. On some level,  I should be thanking them.

No problem, man.  Anytime. Tongue
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2015, 11:41 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Personally, I find it a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I sense that the person sending the message has some political agenda in saying it (which happens a lot). I find it less annoying if I feel the person saying it would say the same thing to an EMT or a fireman or even a teacher.

People thanked me with their tax dollars for 14 years. On some level,  I should be thanking them.

I think I thanked you for your service like 50 times when we were at lunch in AZ...I felt it annoyed you that I hadn't done it 51 times.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 01:00 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I think I thanked you for your service like 50 times when we were at lunch in AZ...I felt it annoyed you that I hadn't done it 51 times.

Well, of course. Just because you are a Steelers fan. Tongue
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not proud of myself, but sometimes during Reds games they will take a moment to honor a particular veteran.  One time it was a guy and he served from like '82 to '84, and I was like wtf?  I mean i admire anyone who served any time, but there had to be a "better" guy.

Dude I know you are serious but I  swear right now I am laughing so hard 82 to 84 and I WAS LIKE WTF??  A better guy....   I mean right now I have like a Family Guy episode going on in my head!!!  I wish you were here so you can see how hard I am laughing I am crying right now..  LOL.
Reply/Quote
I always feel surprised and a little uncomfortable. I always thank people for supporting troops.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 08:29 PM)basballguy Wrote:  It doesn't change the fact that more people are enlisting because they have to and not because they want to.   There are genuinely good people that enlist because they have no choice....doesn't change the fact that they only enlisted because it was the last option available to them.  

Only a very small part of the men and women that join because they have no choice. It's not as easy to join as many think. Most people that want to join can't.

Believe it or not most that I have come to have known do it for one of three things.... money for college, training, and travel.

(10-25-2015, 08:29 PM)basballguy Wrote: I feel like people stopped making military a career move after the early 2000s....not saying i blame them....but it's a different type of person enlisting now than it was before.  
That couldn't be further from the truth.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 08:29 PM)basballguy Wrote: Being smarter and more professional is an era thing more than anything.  It doesn't change the fact that more people are enlisting because they have to and not because they want to.   There are genuinely good people that enlist because they have no choice....doesn't change the fact that they only enlisted because it was the last option available to them.  

I feel like people stopped making military a career move after the early 2000s....not saying i blame them....but it's a different type of person enlisting now than it was before.  

If you enlist because you have no other options, i respect the fact that you recognize you need to do something with your life....but it's not going to make me respect what you're perceived to represent.

And yes i know my comments here have nothing to do with the actual topic....forgive me...sore spot. 

When you use phrases like "bail them out of failing at life", it makes the majority of those who enlist sound like complete losers who are incapable of interacting in the real world. There are some who fit that bill (there were a lot more back in the late seventies and early eighties). But I gather from the rest of your comments that that was not how you intended it to be taken, and I generally agree with you.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Most Vets that I know are too proud to take up these offers, but..  Here ya go
[Image: 12143319_178890965782193_330419057687241...e=56D201EF]
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12143319_178890965782193_3304190576872418748_n.jpg?oh=b6657cd75cf88f1c9734d3f913a9c743&oe=56D201EF

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I really don't understand the majority of posts in this thread. I'm being serious here when I say it hurts to see MOST of the responses. You're willing to put your life on the line for your country, and it "seemingly" means nothing? But I have have a deep reason to feel this way that I'm gonna' have to keep to myself.

Just remember, if the enemy comes to our borders, (as they have already) you'll be supporting the "troops" you're so tired of supporting now.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
If I could offer a UK perspective, on a bit of a tangent...

It's only relatively recently that 'Support Our Troops' message has really gained a lot of, well, support here and it's probably fair to say that we've copied it from the US.

It's a topical question as Remembrance Day is a couple of weeks away and we're now well into the 'Poppy Season'. Traditionally, you used to see poppies being worn in the week around 11/11 but now you'll see them being worn earlier and earlier (news anchors and politicians seem to compete with one another to wear them first) and with it has come an almost sinister pressure that, if you're not wearing a poppy by mid-October, you're somehow disrespecting service personnel and, by extension, you're supporting terrorism. That view is fortunately mostly restricted to our right wing press (i.e. about 90% of it) and a small but vocal bunch of racists who try and hide their racism behind a sort of militaristic patriotism. There's an almost daily diet of false stories that poppies are being banned because it might offend someone (these days it's usually Muslims who get the blame).

Where any discomfort exists in supporting the armed services, it's mostly down to who you're indirectly associating with. It certainly isn't caused by the soldiers, sailors or airmen themselves.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2015, 05:37 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Only a very small part of the men and women that join because they have no choice. It's not as easy to join as many think. Most people that want to join can't.

Believe it or not most that I have come to have known do it for one of three things.... money for college, training, and travel.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Not sure how to do nested comments on this site now...but wanted to reply to this.

You say most people you have come to known do it for college, training, or travel.....and then turn around to argue and disagree when I say people don't enlist with career intentions anymore...kinda seems like you're contradicting yourself.  The only one that could reasonably pass as being career is the travel piece.  

20+ years = career....not the bare minimum to qualify for the GI Bill.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: Not sure how to do nested comments on this site now...but wanted to reply to this.

You say most people you have come to known do it for college, training, or travel.....and then turn around to argue and disagree when I say people don't enlist with career intentions anymore...kinda seems like you're contradicting yourself.  The only one that could reasonably pass as being career is the travel piece.  

Not quite sure you understand what I was saying. I said:

MOST people do it for college, training, or travel....in reply to you saying people are enlisting because they have to.

Just FYI....most people that WANT to enlist CAN"T. It's not that simple. MOST people can't even qualify to join.

How does that contradict anything?

I disagreed with your post that
(11-02-2015, 11:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: I feel like people stopped making military a career move after the early 2000s....
Reason being is because the amount of retirees have increased.

(11-02-2015, 11:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: 20+ years = career....not the bare minimum to qualify for the GI Bill.
What does the GI Bill have to do with a career?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2015, 12:12 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I really don't understand the majority of posts in this thread.  I'm being serious here when I say it hurts to see MOST of the responses.  You're willing to put your life on the line for your country, and it "seemingly" means nothing?  But I have have a deep reason to feel this way that I'm gonna' have to keep to myself.  

Just remember, if the enemy comes to our borders, (as they have already) you'll be supporting the "troops" you're so tired of supporting now.

It is a job they chose which they are compensated for doing (I'd argue they should probably make more though). In terms of drafted soldiers and such, yes they should be thanked and supported because they had no choice. As for our military today I respect them the same way I respect anyone in a dangerous public job (Firefighter, Police,etc.) that is simply I try not to make their job harder and treat them like normal people.
Reply/Quote
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14051326/nfl-audit-teams-marketing-contracts-patriotism-tributes

Quote:The team that received the most from the DOD was the Atlanta Falcons, who had agreements worth $879,000 over the past four seasons. The team received payments for the color guard to step onto the field during the Falcons' military appreciation game, for the performance of the national anthem by a member of the Georgia Army National Guard and for 80 members of the guard to hold the American flag on the field.

Are you f'n kidding me? The DOD paid almost a million dollars over four years so the Falcons could show their appreciation? Un-f'n-believable.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14051326/nfl-audit-teams-marketing-contracts-patriotism-tributes

Are you f'n kidding me?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a decision in like the 90's or so to contract out military recruitment advertising?  Seems like a lot of this has to do with that pivot.  Had to make the commercials cleaner, more stunning and appealing to a media-savy base.  The in-house AV team just wasn't cutting it.

Seems like spending like the above is a result of this decision.  
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:47 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a decision in like the 90's or so to contract out military recruitment advertising?  Seems like a lot of this has to do with that pivot.  Had to make the commercials cleaner, more stunning and appealing to a media-savy base.  The in-house AV team just wasn't cutting it.

Seems like spending like the above is a result of this decision.  

I know for a fact the Army hires civilian companies to handle advertising.  I can't say if the contracts between the NFL and the DOD are a result of that or not without seeing the contracts.
Reply/Quote
I didn't serve. Several of my friends who did have said it makes them uncomfortable when people go on about it, but I think all of them have said they appreciate just a quick "thanks for your service" when someone notices their shirt/hat/tattoo.

On a related note, the facebook memes are driving me crazy about enlisted pay. And this isn't meant to get political, but the ones about 'an enlisted person makes $20,000 and Bobby McBurger wants $15 minimum wage for his crappy job.' And then they go on to make derogatory comments about people making minimum wage. Combat active pay is one thing. That should be considerably higher than it is. But comparing a low wage unskilled fast food job to a low wage unskilled military job isn't that different. And it's dishonest when they're comparing the two, but not factoring in cost of living covered by the military, medical care (which is considerably better than being uninsured), college reimbursement, etc.

But the work for many of those entry level, non-combat military positions ins't that different. A friend of mine always jokes about one week in the Air Force that summed up his 6-years. His boss had nothing for him to do, so he made him paint yellow all the concrete parking stops in the parking lot of their offices. It took him all of two days. The next two days, he was out there painting them all back to the original white. And on Friday he wrote up reports on why they needed to be painted from white to yellow to white.
Reply/Quote