Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter says joining Bengals 'just felt right'
(03-21-2017, 09:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He would make it in one of my outstanding FA moves for sure. Great pickup.

I will not cry over spilt milk anymore, time to just draft well and hopefully all of our Defensive coaches have improved big time.

It was the first year here for 3 of them.

They will have to be great on Defense and i think they could be...

(03-22-2017, 02:56 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Well, someone always has to stay around and piss on the fire to make sure it's going out. Freddy, you sir are rich! Not necessarily in the money department,but in the break out the boots deep chocolate dept.

If we were all bashing this move, you would be giving us hell, but since we're not, you're giving her a stir.

Maybe, just maybe, he has a great year, loves it here, and decides to stay for a bit. Let's hope for all of these things.
You stay positive! Ya hear!

(03-22-2017, 03:10 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Don't fall for Fred's act. Because that's all it is: an act. He's a contrarian that loves to stir up drama. Nothing more, nothing less. 

There have been lots of guys here who liked the signing but wished it was for more than one year.

Don't know why you are hating on me for saying the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From Hobson's article about Minter:

Marvin Lewis and his new linebacker, Kevin Minter, staged their version of “The Breakfast Club,” and the Bengals ended up with another leader around the coffee pot.

Minter, the captain of Arizona’s second-ranked defense, agreed to sign on Saturday after meeting Lewis for breakfast in Scottsdale, Ariz., Friday before his new head coach met with the NFL Competition Committee.

“We talked a little ball, but he was trying to figure me out and I was trying to figure him out,” Minter said Saturday night. “It was a very down-to-earth conversation. It was cool to sit down with a guy who has been a head coach for so long and just have conversation like that. I understand why so many people have so many good things to say about Marvin Lewis. It gave me a better understanding why everyone loves that man.”

“I think I’m a guy that can come in and play every down for them. That defense doesn’t need much. I feel like you can plug me in and I can be another element,” Minter said. “It’s very stout. Geno Atkins up front. Vontaze. Pacman (Adam) Jones. I’m not looking to get in the way, either. Great front four. Great in the back end. I just want to be a part of it.”

He’ll be more than that. The Bengals like the fact they were not only able to young up their linebacker corps, but that they were able to do it while also adding a seasoned leader.

“The way the organization embraced me on my visit, it just felt right,” Minter said. “I know Jeremy and Brandon LaFell from college. It’s going to be fun. Through my process Cincinnati was on the jump. I’m just glad they were able to pull the trigger and make a spot for me.”

I was pleasantly, well, I will say shocked at the signing of Minter.  He is an excellent acquisition and a veteran presence.  I am a little puzzled at the one year deal, however.  Is this just insurance that Vigil can be the player we think?  Or that it will push Vontaze to show up in shape or perhaps it would be Minter that would be extended?  

I guess I would have hoped that he would get a four-year deal and become a cornerstone of our defense.  He can play MIKE and that is exactly what we have been needing.  I am unsure if this means Vigil is not yet ready to be the nickel starter with Burfict or maybe they have lost faith in Burfict for some reason?  I don't see how you can sit Minter in nickel packages, as he is just too good at covering TEs.  

Whatever the reason, I am thrilled at the signing and hope he can become a Bengal for many years.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 02:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Are we becoming the LSU of professional football players?  Should we change our colors to purple and yellow?

They are called the Bayou Bengals...
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 04:06 PM)jason Wrote: Can you play left tackle?

I get this, Jason, but it does take one more position group out of the early rounds, IMHO, and that could lead them to slide back, get an additional 2nd rounder, take Ross or Davis in the first, and trade BACK in to the first with the new 2nd and our 3rd to get Robinson.  

That would give competition to Ced at LT.  If Ced wins at LT, then Robinson becomes our RG and is an All-Pro.  If Robinson wins, we improved the position and know Ced will be gone.  

In this scenario, the Bengals still have another second round pick that they could use on the pass rushing DE, Jordan Willis.  I just did a thread on him. 

Ross
Robinson
Willis 

In rounds 1 and 2?  Yes, please!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was pleasantly, well, I will say shocked at the signing of Minter.  He is an excellent acquisition and a veteran presence.  I am a little puzzled at the one year deal, however.  Is this just insurance that Vigil can be the player we think?  Or that it will push Vontaze to show up in shape or perhaps it would be Minter that would be extended?  

I guess I would have hoped that he would get a four-year deal and become a cornerstone of our defense.  He can play MIKE and that is exactly what we have been needing.  I am unsure if this means Vigil is not yet ready to be the nickel starter with Burfict or maybe they have lost faith in Burfict for some reason?  I don't see how you can sit Minter in nickel packages, as he is just too good at covering TEs.  

Whatever the reason, I am thrilled at the signing and hope he can become a Bengal for many years.  

Yes, I was totally floored they signed him.  I guess they finally learned their lesson with aging vets, or square pegs in round holes as stop gaps at the LB position?  Whatever happened, I'm glad.  I'm looking at it as the writing on the wall for Rey Maualuga.  Sure, Tez was out of shape, but Rey is a habitual offender in that department, and his play has slipped badly in recent years.  I think we see Vigil, Tez, and Minter.....with Tez and Minter playing the lion's share, and Vigil maybe splitting time with Vinnie Rey....or even Rey starting and Vigil spelling....hard to say.

I wish he had signed longer, but maybe if he comes in day 1 and makes a splash, we get to work on extending him and Burfict. 

(03-22-2017, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They are called the Bayou Bengals...

....and purple and gold are my old high school colors....so, I'm good with it. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, I was totally floored they signed him.  I guess they finally learned their lesson with aging vets, or square pegs in round holes as stop gaps at the LB position?  Whatever happened, I'm glad.  I'm looking at it as the writing on the wall for Rey Maualuga.  Sure, Tez was out of shape, but Rey is a habitual offender in that department, and his play has slipped badly in recent years.  I think we see Vigil, Tez, and Minter.....with Tez and Minter playing the lion's share, and Vigil maybe splitting time with Vinnie Rey....or even Rey starting and Vigil spelling....hard to say.

I wish he had signed longer, but maybe if he comes in day 1 and makes a splash, we get to work on extending him and Burfict. 

....and purple and gold are my old high school colors....so, I'm good with it. Smirk

Yeah, I guess if nothing else he will be busting his ass to prove he deserves a long-term deal.  You are dead on with respect to the performance of Maualuga.  I think he should have stayed at SAM from Day 1.  Now, he just seems to be a MIKE backer from the 70s that the game has passed by.  He is a liability on anything in open space and LBs simply can't be that in today's NFL.  

I remember a lot of Bengal players politicking for Maualuga in the draft, even going so far as texting Marvin, and Marvin responded right before drafting him: "You got your wish". 

Who did the Bengals want to draft in that spot?  Super Bowl winning Center, Max Unger.  The lesson?  Don't listen to your players.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 11:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, I guess if nothing else he will be busting his ass to prove he deserves a long-term deal.  You are dead on with respect to the performance of Maualuga.  I think he should have stayed at SAM from Day 1.  Now, he just seems to be a MIKE backer from the 70s that the game has passed by.  He is a liability on anything in open space and LBs simply can't be that in today's NFL.  

I remember a lot of Bengal players politicking for Maualuga in the draft, even going so far as texting Marvin, and Marvin responded right before drafting him: "You got your wish". 

Who did the Bengals want to draft in that spot?  Super Bowl winning Center, Max Unger.  The lesson?  Don't listen to your players.  

Wow, didn't know that....  Facepalm

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get this, Jason, but it does take one more position group out of the early rounds, IMHO, and that could lead them to slide back, get an additional 2nd rounder, take Ross or Davis in the first, and trade BACK in to the first with the new 2nd and our 3rd to get Robinson.  

That would give competition to Ced at LT.  If Ced wins at LT, then Robinson becomes our RG and is an All-Pro.  If Robinson wins, we improved the position and know Ced will be gone.  

In this scenario, the Bengals still have another second round pick that they could use on the pass rushing DE, Jordan Willis.  I just did a thread on him. 

Ross
Robinson
Willis 

In rounds 1 and 2?  Yes, please!

Then Toth or Orlovsky? Yeah, me love. Smirk

(03-22-2017, 11:30 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wow, didn't know that....  Facepalm

Me neither, damn. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Another Georgia born product, just like Geno Atkins, AJ Green and Clint Boling.  Something about that natural humbleness in those Georgia boys that makes them not just great athletes, but great men. 

Of course, on the other side of the coin..  One might say that he sure is talking the talk, buttering up to Marvin and all.  Let's see if he can walk the walk, and back up his words by deeds on the field.

Personally, I see him as a very smart, quality addition to this team.  I believe him when he says that he's a 3 down LB.  Continuity among personnel from set to set is an important thing to have.  I really see him taking over the headset on defense.

(03-21-2017, 09:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He was on Movin' the Chains today and stated both Marvin and Haslett told him he will be playing inside and calling the defenses.  Sounds like 58 is no longer going to be starting unless he moves out to SAM.

I doubt we just stick with the 1 year contract then. We wouldn't just be handing over the headset to a 1 year man.

Look for us to work on an extension before the season comes around.

Really love this pickup! This Defense could be really good now, just cut Maualuga. Said on bengals.com a move should
be made soon to make room for Minter, hopefully this is the move. Maualuga was a nobody last year, lost his hair and
his run Defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 08:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There have been lots of guys here who liked the signing but wished it was for more than one year.

Don't know why you are hating on me for saying the same thing.

I wasn't hating on you Fred. I was chuckling as I was typing that post. That said, it was pretty spot on! Nothing wrong with wanting it to be for another year or two. If he plays well, hopefully it works out for everyone.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 02:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From Hobson's article about Minter:

Marvin Lewis and his new linebacker, Kevin Minter, staged their version of “The Breakfast Club,” and the Bengals ended up with another leader around the coffee pot.

Minter, the captain of Arizona’s second-ranked defense, agreed to sign on Saturday after meeting Lewis for breakfast in Scottsdale, Ariz., Friday before his new head coach met with the NFL Competition Committee.

“We talked a little ball, but he was trying to figure me out and I was trying to figure him out,” Minter said Saturday night. “It was a very down-to-earth conversation. It was cool to sit down with a guy who has been a head coach for so long and just have conversation like that. I understand why so many people have so many good things to say about Marvin Lewis. It gave me a better understanding why everyone loves that man.”

“I think I’m a guy that can come in and play every down for them. That defense doesn’t need much. I feel like you can plug me in and I can be another element,” Minter said. “It’s very stout. Geno Atkins up front. Vontaze. Pacman (Adam) Jones. I’m not looking to get in the way, either. Great front four. Great in the back end. I just want to be a part of it.”

He’ll be more than that. The Bengals like the fact they were not only able to young up their linebacker corps, but that they were able to do it while also adding a seasoned leader.

“The way the organization embraced me on my visit, it just felt right,” Minter said. “I know Jeremy and Brandon LaFell from college. It’s going to be fun. Through my process Cincinnati was on the jump. I’m just glad they were able to pull the trigger and make a spot for me.”

guess all the hating on how bengals hold visits is just hot air blowing out of empty holes.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: guess all the hating on how bengals hold visits is just hot air blowing out of empty holes.

Lets not pretend their track record was stellar prior to this. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Then Toth or Orlovsky? Yeah, me love. Smirk

Quite possibly, yes!
Reply/Quote
As posted upthread by jfkbengals Minter has already been told he will be the Mike and that he will be signal calling. I have to think this means Maualuga either takes a pay cut and becomes a backup or gets cut. Basically we will wheel out a LB Group of Tez, Minter, Vigil. They can all play three downs.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He was on Movin' the Chains today and stated both Marvin and Haslett told him he will be playing inside and calling the defenses.  Sounds like 58 is no longer going to be starting unless he moves out to SAM.

If Minter is the signal caller on D, then that means two things. One, Rey is most likely going to get cut. Two, they're taking the radio helmet off of Burfict. He's been the signal caller for a few seasons now.

(03-22-2017, 11:30 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wow, didn't know that....  Facepalm

Yep, Hobson even talked about it back in 2011 or 2012. We were ready to take Unger, but they felt like they couldn't pass up Maualuga.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 11:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, I guess if nothing else he will be busting his ass to prove he deserves a long-term deal.  You are dead on with respect to the performance of Maualuga.  I think he should have stayed at SAM from Day 1.  Now, he just seems to be a MIKE backer from the 70s that the game has passed by.  He is a liability on anything in open space and LBs simply can't be that in today's NFL.  

Damn, really? I don't remember hearing anything about that... Do you have a source?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 04:02 PM)Joelist Wrote: As posted upthread by jfkbengals Minter has already been told he will be the Mike and that he will be signal calling. I have to think this means Maualuga either takes a pay cut and becomes a backup or gets cut. Basically we will wheel out a LB Group of Tez, Minter, Vigil. They can all play three downs.

That sure sounds nice, hope we cut ties with Maualuga and free up a little more dough.

He was bad last year at stopping the run, the thing he is here for...

(03-22-2017, 04:13 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Minter is the signal caller on D, then that means two things. One, Rey is most likely going to get cut. Two, they're taking the radio helmet off of Burfict. He's been the signal caller for a few seasons now.

Yep, Hobson even talked about it back in 2011 or 2012. We were ready to take Unger, but they felt like they couldn't pass up Maualuga.

Wow, that sure would of changed things tons for the good if we took Unger instead...

That is like when we took Chris Perry instead of Steven Jackson.

(03-22-2017, 04:55 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Damn, really? I don't remember hearing anything about that... Do you have a source?

I don't remember anything either but i trust SHRacerX and Bengal Dude.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That sure sounds nice, hope we cut ties with Maualuga and free up a little more dough.

He was bad last year at stopping the run, the thing he is here for...

Wow, that sure would of changed things tons for the good if we took Unger instead...

I don't remember anything either but i trust SHRracer and Bengal Dude.

Oh I certainly trust them too and don't doubt them at all. I just want to see any reports or tweets or whatnot. That's pretty surprising stuff but nothing I doubt. Damn... Unger would have been great. I doubt even PA could have screwed him up. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, that sure would of changed things tons for the good if we took Unger instead...

I don't remember anything either but i trust SHRacerX and Bengal Dude.

Fun fact, we had Jackson as our #1 RB on the board. The Rams called and offered up their 1st and 4th for us to drop back 2 spots. Marvin and Co. felt like they could still nab Jackson. Low and behold, the Rams took him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:04 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Oh I certainly trust them too and don't doubt them at all. I just want to see any reports or tweets or whatnot. That's pretty surprising stuff but nothing I doubt. Damn... Unger would have been great. I doubt even PA could have screwed him up. 

I don't know anything about the texts, but Hobson is the one who said we were going to take Unger.
Reply/Quote