Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Misery
(08-15-2016, 02:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just keep one of these stuck up your butt

[Image: 902616054_acf4472632.jpg]

They are plastic so you can wash them, re-freeze them, and eat them later.
Oh man..... thanks for the visual.
Now I'm going to think of you, every time I eat one of those.
Prick....lol

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm with you on this one. As long as we're not talking frozen pipes cold; I'll take a cold house over a hot one. As to the hot house; I've always read this is why we are so spoiled. Wasn't that long ago that AC was not common in a house. I can remember living in a house with no AC. We has 1 window fan and we would point that outside to make air come in the rest of the windows. 

Yeah, I have a preferred temperature, but I can handle the heat. My wife, not so much. She never really did the outdoorsy stuff so weeks spent without any electricity even are not within her life experiences.

I could live without central air if I was in a building with some trees around it and on ground level with windows available to open for cross breezes. However, I am on a fourth floor apartment in a downtown area with all my windows on one side. We have a place nearby called the Frontier Culture Museum, and some of the homes there I look at and say "yep, I could live here." My wife just looks at me like I am crazy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:11 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh man..... thanks for the visual.
Now I'm going to think of you, every time I eat one of those.
Prick....lol

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

The worst part about that is the edges.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm with you on this one. As long as we're not talking frozen pipes cold; I'll take a cold house over a hot one. As to the hot house; I've always read this is why we are so spoiled. Wasn't that long ago that AC was not common in a house. I can remember living in a house with no AC. We has 1 window fan and we would point that outside to make air come in the rest of the windows. 

Agree 100%.  Give me cold house and a thick comforter and I'll be just fine.

I, like probably a lot of folks here, grew up without a/c.  Worse yet, we didn't even have it in our car.  None of our close relatives had it., for that matter.  So, about the only time I got to experience a/c as a kid was when we went to the mall or the bank or the grocery store.  We too put fans in the windows, but it only helps so much.  I spent many a summer night in childhood staring at the ceiling, sweat trickling off me as I tried in vain to sleep.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
My freaking water heater went out. Gonna try and replace the thermal coupler tomorrow if I can find one. Not sure if I go without a shower or just take a cold one. I still would rather be stinky then not have AC. Hope everything works out for ya!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 08:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Agree 100%.  Give me cold house and a thick comforter and I'll be just fine.

I, like probably a lot of folks here, grew up without a/c.  Worse yet, we didn't even have it in our car.  None of our close relatives had it., for that matter.  So, about the only time I got to experience a/c as a kid was when we went to the mall or the bank or the grocery store.  We too put fans in the windows, but it only helps so much.  I spent many a summer night in childhood staring at the ceiling, sweat trickling off me as I tried in vain to sleep.  

During the summer in Iraq, the coolest it would get was in the 90s in the middle of the night.  You couldn't take anything off if you were patrolling. It was so hot during the day, if your weapon was in the sun and you grabbed it by the metal with a bare hand it would blister you. 

During the winter in the mountains of north Georgia the water in my canteens froze solid. In the mountains of the Nevada desert the rain turned to snow. You couldn't put anything on if you were patrolling. 

I'll take being hot over being cold any day of the week. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 08:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Agree 100%.  Give me cold house and a thick comforter and I'll be just fine.

All cars have always come with 2-40 or 4-40 A/C as a standard. (That's what my dad always told me our A/C was, 4 windows down at 40 MPH)

To the OP, is you A/C back in business?  The last two days have been just as freakin' hot!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 10:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: To the OP, is you A/C back in business?  The last two days have been just as freakin' hot!

They came and fixed it yesterday, took all of twenty minutes. Which, of course, irritated me a bit because that could've been done Saturday with little fuss. There were five units out in my apartment building in total. Overnight the temperature got down to our normal, which means I am very happy again. I stayed home to keep an eye on our cats and because I was unable to sleep so would've been no good at work, so it's kind f said that I am looking forward to being in the office today.

I hadn't posted about it yesterday because I was waiting for things to get to normal before declaring an actual victory over this situation.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 10:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: All cars have always come with 2-40 or 4-40 A/C as a standard. (That's what my dad always told me our A/C was, 4 windows down at 40 MPH)

Sounds like some corny line my Dad would have used.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
On a related story: our Central Air went out last summer. We already had a window unit upstairs because we live in a Cape Cod and it helps the main unit. While deciding what to do (my vote was to screw it and go old school) we purchased one of those free standing units. Got a great deal at Ollies (think Big Lots) and with a 20% off coupon they basically owed us money after it was over, We also picked up a little 5k for about $70.

Bottom line was our house stayed every bit as cool as it did with the Central Air, So while I was happy with this, my wife broke down the inside unit, cleaned and straightened the "A coil" and put it back together (OK, I had to do most of the putting back together). Now my AC works better and more efficient as ever and I have 2 ACs in the garage on stand by.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: On a related story: our Central Air went out last summer. We already had a window unit upstairs because we live in a Cape Cod and it helps the main unit. While deciding what to do (my vote was to screw it and go old school) we purchased one of those free standing units. Got a great deal at Ollies (think Big Lots) and with a 20% off coupon they basically owed us money after it was over, We also picked up a little 5k for about $70.

Bottom line was our house stayed every bit as cool as it did with the Central Air, So while I was happy with this, my wife broke down the inside unit, cleaned and straightened the "A coil" and put it back together (OK, I had to do most of the putting back together). Now my AC works better and more efficient as ever and I have 2 ACs in the garage on stand by.

Those little floor units are pretty great. The one we borrowed saved our butts, for sure.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: On a related story: our Central Air went out last summer. We already had a window unit upstairs because we live in a Cape Cod and it helps the main unit. While deciding what to do (my vote was to screw it and go old school) we purchased one of those free standing units. Got a great deal at Ollies (think Big Lots) and with a 20% off coupon they basically owed us money after it was over, We also picked up a little 5k for about $70.

I know your wife could help out if the blower wasn't working.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 11:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know your wife could help out if the blower wasn't working.

Sounds like she was working straightening his A coil and cleaning his unit.
Reply/Quote