Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mitch McConnell Says Americans Won’t Tolerate Dems Blocking Supreme Court Nomination
And he's probably right.  Most will forget everything that happened just last year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mitch-mcconnell-merrick-garland-supreme-court_us_586d6720e4b0c4be0af2bd3a

Quote:Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) issued a warning to Democrats on Wednesday, one day after the Supreme Court nomination of Merrick Garland expired without any Senate action: Don’t consider staging a similar blockade on any of President-elect Donald Trump’s high court nominees.

“I think that’s something the American people simply will not tolerate and we’ll be looking forward to receiving a Supreme Court nomination and moving forward on it,” McConnell told reporters.

His darts were aimed at Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Tuesday that he’d do everything within his power to keep the Supreme Court seat open.

Schumer said on Wednesday that Democrats would oppose any “out-of-the-mainstream” Trump nominees — perhaps a nod to Garland, who was as mainstream a candidate as President Barack Obama could have offered.

McConnell’s admonition that the American public may not put up with prolonged Democratic obstruction is curious in light of his own plan to not lift a finger on any of Obama’s nominees ― a plan he shrewdly came up with on the day Justice Antonin Scalia died last February.

In the end, McConnell’s no-hearings-no-vote gamble paid off, and the Garland nomination died with the old Congress after 293 days — setting a modern record for Supreme Court nominees.

The only trump card Democrats in the Senate have now that they’re in the minority is the 60-vote threshold for moving forward with a vote on Supreme Court nominees. If they play hardball with McConnell, even that might go in this next Congress.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-04-2017, 11:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: And he's probably right.  Most will forget everything that happened just last year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mitch-mcconnell-merrick-garland-supreme-court_us_586d6720e4b0c4be0af2bd3a
If they block, they should be docked pay, just like the republicans should have.
They need to stop wasting tax-payer money on petty bullshit.
Just because the Republicans blocked Obamas nomination doesn't justify the Dems doing the same. It's not what's best for the country.

I just wish people would remember how they were mainly obstructionist throughout Obama's term and make them pay the price. That's the only way to leave a mark and let politicians know that being obstructionist will not be tolerated. Too bad Americans attentions spans and priorities are out of whack.
(01-05-2017, 02:31 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Just because the Republicans blocked Obamas nomination doesn't justify the Dems doing the same. It's not what's best for the country.

I just wish people would remember how they were mainly obstructionist throughout Obama's term and make them pay the price.
That's the only way to leave a mark and let politicians know that being obstructionist will not be tolerated. Too bad Americans attentions spans and priorities are out of whack.

They won't.

It's us vs. them. And no matter how bad or dirty one side plays, they justify it by saying the other side is doing it, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-05-2017, 02:51 AM)Benton Wrote: They won't.

It's us vs. them. And no matter how bad or dirty one side plays, they justify it by saying the other side is doing it, too.

Sad but true.

Reds vs Cardinals

Bengals vs Steelers

Democrats vs Republicans

It's all the same.
Wink 
(01-05-2017, 02:31 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Just because the Republicans blocked Obamas nomination doesn't justify the Dems doing the same. It's not what's best for the country.

I just wish people would remember how they were mainly obstructionist throughout Obama's term and make them pay the price. That's the only way to leave a mark and let politicians know that being obstructionist will not be tolerated. Too bad Americans attentions spans and priorities are out of whack.

I agree.  

(01-05-2017, 02:51 AM)Benton Wrote: They won't.

Agreed again.

But there's a sheer hypocrisy on this issue that stands out for me.  293 days of saying "Nope, not gonna do it" and the day after saying the other side is wrong if they do it?  It really ticks me off that most of the voting public won't even care or remember.
You got to give him credit for balls. That's Clintonesque without the charisma.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-05-2017, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You got to give him credit for balls.  That's Clintonesque without the charisma.

How so?
(01-05-2017, 10:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: How so?

The brazenness.  They just spent a year doing exactly what they warned the Dems not to do.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-05-2017, 10:15 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The brazenness.  They just spent a year doing exactly what they warned the Dems not to do.

Oh. I thought you meant Clinton didn't work across the aisle and then demanded the other side do it.
When are politicians going to realize the one major thing the American people aren't going to stand for is this constant show of do nothing going on in Capitol Hill? Aren't these idiots supposed to work for us, not waste time and money?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(01-05-2017, 03:26 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: When are politicians going to realize the one major thing the American people aren't going to stand for is this constant show of do nothing going on in Capitol Hill? Aren't these idiots supposed to work for us, not waste time and money?
So... here's my solution.

A. Install an atomic bomb in the capital building

B. Issue 250 detonation codes, across the U.S. to elected guardians.

C. Guardians confer officially once per month (random).

D. Dissatisfied Guardians enter destruct code.

E. Should over 175 destruct codes be entered.....*FWOOOOM*

F. Hold new elections

G. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I'm thinking productivity would increase.

*edit*
Biochemical resources within the chambers may be more economical.
Rebuilding may prove expensive.
You know they'd test the limits of the program, at least once.
This is the epitome of the current problem in US politics.
(01-05-2017, 03:48 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: So... here's my solution.

F. Hold new elections

*edit*

love it
People suck
(01-05-2017, 03:48 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: So... here's my solution.

F. Hold new elections

*edit*

Eh you'd have to clean up and sanitize after a biochemical agent was used.

How about once an official is elected, he's fitted with a small explosive collar. Or a remote controlled kill switch is fitted to their heart which when activated jolts the heart into stopping or exploding. Less clean up. And make them foot the bill for it's installation and removal out of their own damn pockets.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(01-06-2017, 12:29 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Eh you'd have to clean up and sanitize after a biochemical agent was used.

How about once an official is elected, he's fitted with a small explosive collar. Or a remote controlled kill switch is fitted to their heart which when activated jolts the heart into stopping or exploding. Less clean up. And make them foot the bill for it's installation and removal out of their own damn pockets.

Can we make the Mexicans pay for it?
(01-05-2017, 03:26 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: When are politicians going to realize the one major thing the American people aren't going to stand for is this constant show of do nothing going on in Capitol Hill? Aren't these idiots supposed to work for us, not waste time and money?

We do put up with it. Have been for 8 years.
(01-06-2017, 12:29 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Eh you'd have to clean up and sanitize after a biochemical agent was used.

Not a bad idea.
Then the guardians of each state could dictate the term of each representative, moment by moment.

I can see it now.....

----------
Senator, what is your vote to immediately repeal Obama-care ?

I don't think it's a good idea, so I'm going to vote.....

*beep* *beep* (red light flashing) *beep* *beep*

Well.....hey, I'm all for it !
Yes, yes...definitely yes !

----------

I'm guessing someone watches Rutger Hauer movies.
(01-06-2017, 01:21 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: We do put up with it. Have been for 8 years.

did we fast forward to the end of trumps 2nd term already?
People suck
(01-06-2017, 02:12 PM)Griever Wrote: did we fast forward to the end of trumps 2nd term already?

Nope. I would be interested in finding a cryo chamber though to freeze my body in time until all this is over.