Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon - Could he become a Top 3 back this year?
(03-25-2019, 05:29 PM)McC Wrote: Fournette?  And his 3.7/ypc career?  Surely you jest.  Mixon averaged just shy of 5 a carry behind our line.

I dunno, I thought he was better than that. Can't say I'm watching a lot of Jacksonville Jaguars games, lol.

...it is definitely nuts that Mixon had that high of YPC last year, though.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:43 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I dunno, I thought he was better than that. Can't say I'm watching a lot of Jacksonville Jaguars games, lol.

...it is definitely nuts that Mixon had that high of YPC last year, though.

I think it has a lot to do with all the zero or negative yard runs he turned into three to five yard gains pretty much all on his own.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I dont know where Mixon will rank but I think he will be more successful in the McVay/Gruden/Kubiak/Sherman system that both Zac Taylor and Brian "Not Bill" Callahan influences come from. Im guessing we will see more horizontal blocking scheme that will allow Mixon to be more of a one cut slasher. Of course that is all pure speculation.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon is plenty talented enough to be mentioned among the top backs. I'd just like to see them spring him for some of those big splash plays, like we had with Hill, in his rookie season. Grinding it out on volume, and getting the occasional 15 yard gain is nice, but those long ones to the house really get the people on their feet.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Again we just need to fix our O-Line and we have a top Offence, Mixon will be a huge part of it and I think he could be the best overall
Reply/Quote
Weve seen what Mixon can do behind a subpar line. Fix the line and im sure we'll be talking about how to lock Mixon up long term by the end of the season. Id lock him up now before we have a Leveon Bell situation on our hands.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Mixon is as talented as any RB in the NFL.
his numbers arent up there with say McCafferty or Gurley but look at who was Mixons OCs were the last 2 years.Lazor and Zampese.
they ARE NO LONGER OCs.
Carolina leaned on MxCafferty so much cause they dont have much
at WR and TE. Mixon would catch 100 passes their too.
Mixon finally will have a oline that can open consistant holes.
Mixon was hit before the LOS more than Gurley Gordon etc
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think he could IF he stays healthy and plays 15+ games.

Last year, people thought the line improved because we could run the ball better, but A LOT of those runs were on Mixon. His 1st lane was blocked many times and he made an INSANE CUT to gain 4-5-6 yards when nothing was there.

We should be a little better run blocking this year as Miller's best feature is his run blocking. One would have to think that Price will be better run blocking with a year experience and hopefully health.

Eifert should force defenses to not crowd the box as will Green and Boyd. Also, one would have to think we will use a more unconventional offense.

Mixon is also a pretty good pass catching back.

IF he stays healthy, I could see him being a Top 3 back. IF the Bengals could win, I could even see him garnering a few MVP votes or OPOY votes.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he puts up numbers like Leveon Bell did during his best years.

if the pass game is functioning so they cant load the box on him and the line holds up/improves on the run side..

Very possible...

Rams used their RB a lot I expect to see the same here.
Reply/Quote
I think there is top 3 in talent or production. I think he could be a top 3 back talent wise, but I hope he isn't a top 3 back production wise. I hope we don't run him into the ground as we saw how Gurley broke down towards the end of last year.
Reply/Quote
He was mad about one of the coaches leaving (I forget which one), but let's just hope that the improved run blocking and play calling makes him quickly forget it, he has a big first game, and then just explodes this year!

He has the talent to do it all and be THE top back, and I think using him more (and more efficiently) will improve Andy and AJ's play, and then they just start feeding off each other.

Yes, he can (and will) be that good ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think there is top 3 in talent or production. I think he could be a top 3 back talent wise, but I hope he isn't a top 3 back production wise. I hope we don't run him into the ground as we saw how Gurley broke down towards the end of last year.

You'd think Gurley spending the most important games of the year on the bench might slow down the fans who always seem to demand that the top RB get the chance to RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN all year, but I doubt it.  I assume the Rams will still be called geniuses for running Gurley so much and it is the fault of his crappy knee that it didn't work out.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 02:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You'd think Gurley spending the most important games of the year on the bench might slow down the fans who always seem to demand that the top RB get the chance to RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN all year, but I doubt it.  I assume the Rams will still be called geniuses for running Gurley so much and it is the fault of his crappy knee that it didn't work out.

well being used a lot is part of the reason RBs turn over so fast in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think he could IF he stays healthy and plays 15+ games.

Last year, people thought the line improved because we could run the ball better, but A LOT of those runs were on Mixon. His 1st lane was blocked many times and he made an INSANE CUT to gain 4-5-6 yards when nothing was there.

We should be a little better run blocking this year as Miller's best feature is his run blocking. One would have to think that Price will be better run blocking with a year experience and hopefully health.

Eifert should force defenses to not crowd the box as will Green and Boyd. Also, one would have to think we will use a more unconventional offense.

Mixon is also a pretty good pass catching back.

IF he stays healthy, I could see him being a Top 3 back. IF the Bengals could win, I could even see him garnering a few MVP votes or OPOY votes.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he puts up numbers like Leveon Bell did during his best years.

I think so too, i think outside of Saquan Barkley i don't think there is a more talented young RB in the NFL.

Happy about the Miller pickup and like you said with Price getting healthy and having some time to grow our Line should be much better. With Mixon's versatility and crazy cuts, vision and ability to go around, through or over Defenders he could definately put up some great numbers with a better run blocking O-line. He did lead the AFC in rushing last season and got snubbed by the Probowl and should of been named All Pro, might be a chip on his shoulder there.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so too, i think outside of Saquan Barkley i don't think there is a more talented young RB in the NFL.

Happy about the Miller pickup and like you said with Price getting healthy and having some time to grow our Line should be much better. With Mixon's versatility and crazy cuts, vision and ability to go around, through or over Defenders he could definately put up some great numbers with a better run blocking O-line. He did lead the AFC in rushing last season and got snubbed by the Probowl and should of been named All Pro, might be a chip on his shoulder there.

I’m pretty sure ZT saw his skills and thought “OMG” I got to figure a way to open holes for this kid. Plus it helps Dalton. He will fix this line.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’m pretty sure ZT saw his skills and thought “OMG” I got to figure a way to open holes for this kid. Plus it helps Dalton. He will fix this line.

No doubt Harley the Offense is going to be so much better this season under Zac rather than Marv who was a defensive coach.

Getting Miller was a good start and we can still add a top RT in the first or 2nd round. Mixon is rare talent and like you said this helps Dalton and as much as i liked Pollack i still find Turner to be better than the Piano Man.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon has never played a full season.

He has all the talent needed to be one of the top backs in the league.  He just has to show that he can stay healthy.

With a whopping 2 seasons he's certainly made of glass, eh?  He's actually only missed very little time compared with what might have happened to him. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 01:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He was mad about one of the coaches leaving (I forget which one), but let's just hope that the improved run blocking and play calling makes him quickly forget it, he has a big first game, and then just explodes this year!

He has the talent to do it all and be THE top back, and I think using him more (and more efficiently) will improve Andy and AJ's play, and then they just start feeding off each other.

Yes, he can (and will) be that good  ThumbsUp

It was coach Pollock.
He tweeted that Pollock had a lot to do with his success last year and wasn't happy the Bengals let him leave
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:05 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: It was coach Pollock.
He tweeted that Pollock had a lot to do with his success last year and wasn't happy the Bengals let him leave

And i agree with him, we will see how Turner does but sure seems like a downgrade to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And i agree with him, we will see how Turner does but sure seems like a downgrade to me.

Maybe but I think the entirely new system, new offense, and just entirely new mentality will help the line perform better under Turner.

Winning cures all, so let's just hope that winning a few games (and even just seeing the success in practice) doesn't allow Mixon to have any lasting bad thoughts on it.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe but I think the entirely new system, new offense, and just entirely new mentality will help the line perform better under Turner.

Winning cures all, so let's just hope that winning a few games (and even just seeing the success in practice) doesn't allow Mixon to have any lasting bad thoughts on it.

Could be right and adding Miller and Price having some more time under his belt should only help Mixon. Add that RT in the early rounds and Turner should have a much more talented Line to work with than Pollack had. Agreed on Mixon, winning cures all, he should be fine with it once the guys settle in.
Reply/Quote