Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon Is Draft Sharks 2018 BREAKOUT PLAYER!
(08-02-2018, 03:48 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: We’ve brought in better players and have better coaches.

It’s optimism based on logic and probability.

But that's no different than any other year in the last few. Optimism is fine, but there are some that just go way overboard before the team has even stepped foot on the field. I'll be as happy as anyone if the season turns out like it seems it should, but i just don't understand the over-the-top giddiness that i see around here with the history this team has. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 08:22 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Last year I didn't think we'd win 5 games, and we went 7-9.  We've made improvements, hired new coaches, have key players coming back healthy, and have battles for starting positions.  Much to be optimistic about my friend.

I don't know...maybe i'm just too compassionate and i don't want to see my fellow fans crash like they have so many times. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Although I'm a bit more optimistic than Rfaulk I fully understand where he's coming from and agree with him sorta. 

In other words I have no illusions this team is going to go from being somewhere between an NFL joke/wanna be contender and miraculously morph into the Patriots in one season. However I am holding out hope things are changing.

I mean for the love of gawd Mike Brown surely after 26 seasons has to realize his way doesn't work and let the football people do football things right ? Isn't that what happened this offseason ?

It actually follows MBs M.O. Do things that others were doing a decade ago. 

Kudos, finally, i guess. Wink

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i have to see a Playoff win before i believe it under Marv.

I just find it to be a bit ridiculous to not see that even with Marv and PA we still won a lot of regular season games.

Adding Pollack, Lazor, Austin, Van Pelt, a new WR coach always forget his name, Glenn and Price should have most
excited and seeing us win atleast 8 games. Hearing all the right things and with our weapons and a renewed running
game i see us winning around 12 but losing in the Playoffs.

As i've said before, that's misleading. They were 5-9 with 2 straight horrible showings before winning the last 2 games. Some used to call that the dead cat bounce. They could have easily been 5-11. Before those last 2 games, everyone wanted Marv's head on a platter and they were fed up. 

Unlike a few here, objectively, i can see a double digit win season with the talent they seem to have. I would not expect this season to be a stepping stone to a better season next year. I could more realistically see a very good season this year.

The only thing holding me back is the teams history, that can not just be ignored. 

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But that's no different than any other year in the last few. Optimism is fine, but there are some that just go way overboard before the team has even stepped foot on the field. I'll be as happy as anyone if the season turns out like it seems it should, but i just don't understand the over-the-top giddiness that i see around here with the history this team has. 

I get the pessimism too after all these years with the history this team has...

But i have to say once again that moving on from our O-line Coach and bringing in the O-line Coach that coached the
best O-line in football is about as different as you can get. Don't get your argument saying we brought in new coaches
last year, cause we didn't. We sat with the same shit that got us shit for the last few to 20 years...

If you are not watching the Training Camp highlights ON THE FIELD Rfaulk you ought to...

Looks way different. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I get the pessimism too after all these years with the history this team has...

But i have to say once again that moving on from our O-line Coach and bringing in the O-line Coach that coached the
best O-line in football is about as different as you can get. Don't get your argument saying we brought in new coaches
last year, cause we didn't. We sat with the same shit that got us shit for the last few to 20 years...

If you are not watching the Training Camp highlights ON THE FIELD Rfaulk you ought to...

Looks way different. Mellow

I'm simply in a place where off-season moves aren't going to impress me. I've just about seen it all in the last 40 years and i'm not going to get excited until i see that long-awaited playoff win. 

Until then, it's the same ole, same ole. 

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It actually follows MBs M.O. Do things that others were doing a decade ago. 

Kudos, finally, i guess. Wink

Oh believe you me Faulk I get it. 

But here's the thing: I'm always going to be a Bengals fan, it's in my blood. And though I have nearly zero faith in Mike and Marvin I'm hoping they're making changes now that will help the team down the road. Finally
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm simply in a place where off-season moves aren't going to impress me. I've just about seen it all in the last 40 years and i'm not going to get excited until i see that long-awaited playoff win. 

Until then, it's the same ole, same ole. 

I understand this as well, just saying that the O-line change could be that big move to get us that long awaited Playoff win.

We will see.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But that's no different than any other year in the last few. Optimism is fine, but there are some that just go way overboard before the team has even stepped foot on the field. I'll be as happy as anyone if the season turns out like it seems it should, but i just don't understand the over-the-top giddiness that i see around here with the history this team has. 

I disagree because we haven't seen this much change in one offseason in a while, and all the coaching moves are especially big.  

We have more talent being led by better coaches, so I'll put my money on this year over any other.
Reply/Quote
All it really requires is for about 80% of either or both sides of the ball to be clicking at the same time and we have a hell of a fun team to watch play the game.. 
We've always had a few players clicking at once, but seldom have we had most of the team all clicking at the same time.  
I try to remind people that all of these players have as much potential as any team in the league to succeed. Almost all of them have tasted success at a very high level in college football. None of them reached the NFL level by being just average or below in college so it's really just a matter of getting them all playing great at the same time.  Do that and this team can beat anyone in the entire league. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
A good exercise maybe to compare this Team, internally and externally, to the 2015 Team. Not only because that was the last competitive squad, but also, because with the exception of the NFC rotation, the AFC opponents are basically the same.

Internally, I feel that the RB, LB, D-Line and CB positions are an upgrade over the 2015 squad - but there are some important questions:
1) Can Eifert deliver a full season of quality play?
2) Can Price adjust to NFL and along with Glen, make up for the loss of Zeitler and Whit?
3) Can Ross and Boyd, come close to Jones and Sanu's production?
4) Can Bates as a rookie, come close to what Nelson did for us?
5) Can the DC and OC revive the defense and offense?

Externally, the AFC West is a mess and NFC South is tough. Pitt will have a new play caller on offense and has to replace Shazier.

So, lots of questions and moving parts and it doesn't help that we are on the road three of the first four weeks - with games against Panthers and Falcons being two of them.  

This is the year that Lewis shows us whether he is an NFL caliber HC and a leader or just a personnel manager. 

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:02 AM)XsandOs Wrote: A good exercise maybe to compare this Team, internally and externally, to the 2015 Team. Not only because that was the last competitive squad, but also, because with the exception of the NFC rotation, the AFC opponents are basically the same.

Internally, I feel that the RB, LB, D-Line and CB positions are an upgrade over the 2015 squad - but there are some important questions:
2) Can Price adjust to NFL and along with Glen, make up for the loss of Zeitler and Whit?

1.  Hopefully, but I'm also excited for Kroft and Uzomah, so I'm not worried about it.

2.  Glenn, yes, and Price just needs to get the snaps down, which can be done with practice.  He'll be good.

3.  Boyd has already shown that he has the ability to produce and Ross is a playmaker in waiting.  He'll EXPLODE.

4.   I believe so with the new coaches and the new energy of the team.  He has the ability.

5.  The team is already buying into their schemes and it's getting them excited, so yes  ThumbsUp 

I'M READY!

(08-03-2018, 02:02 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Externally, the AFC West is a mess and NFC South is tough. Pitt will have a new play caller on offense and has to replace Shazier.

So, lots of questions and moving parts and it doesn't help that we are on the road three of the first four weeks - with games against Panthers and Falcons being two of them.  

This is the year that Lewis shows us whether he is an NFL caliber HC and a leader or just a personnel manager. 

Don't forget the Bell drama in Pitt.

I'm pretty sure Ben calls his own plays (could be wrong), so I don't see a new play caller being too rough on them.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know...maybe i'm just too compassionate and i don't want to see my fellow fans crash like they have so many times. 

I'm prepared for a let down.  Hell, I almost expect it.  But I'm just really excited this year, way more than the past, and I'm going to ride that wave until proven wrong.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:07 AM)grampahol Wrote: All it really requires is for about 80% of either or both sides of the ball to be clicking at the same time and we have a hell of a fun team to watch play the game.. 
We've always had a few players clicking at once, but seldom have we had most of the team all clicking at the same time.  
I try to remind people that all of these players have as much potential as any team in the league to succeed. Almost all of them have tasted success at a very high level in college football. None of them reached the NFL level by being just average or below in college so it's really just a matter of getting them all playing great at the same time.  Do that and this team can beat anyone in the entire league. 

Good point Gramps, it always seems it is either the Offense or Defense playing good, never both at the same time.

Look out if this happens, could blow some teams away.

(08-03-2018, 02:02 AM)XsandOs Wrote: A good exercise maybe to compare this Team, internally and externally, to the 2015 Team. Not only because that was the last competitive squad, but also, because with the exception of the NFC rotation, the AFC opponents are basically the same.

Externally, the AFC West is a mess and NFC South is tough. Pitt will have a new play caller on offense and has to replace Shazier.

That is a good exercise. I like the comparison and do think we could be better with this team.

PA was here for one, Pollack is here now for two, Van Pelt is here for three, Bicknell is here for four...

My X-factors as far as players go are Ross and Billings. If these two can compliment our best players in AJ and Geno. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2018, 11:33 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Man this is exciting.  We sure weren't talking like this last year at this time.

They were talking like this in 2015, when people were saying Hill would get 2k yards.... and that was after Hill actually had a good year compared to Mixon's 3.5 YPC.

Time to be realistic: Mixon isn't even a Top-5 RB in his draft class right now.
1. Hunt
2. Kamara
3. Fournette
4. Cook
5. McCaffrey
6. Mixon/Perine/Williams

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 08:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They were talking like this in 2015, when people were saying Hill would get 2k yards.... and that was after Hill actually had a good year compared to Mixon's 3.5 YPC.

1. Hunt
2. Kamara
3. Fournette
4. Cook
5. McCaffrey
6. Mixon/Perine/Williams

Yet. However you give Mixon the lines these guys had and he right in there.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 08:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They were talking like this in 2015, when people were saying Hill would get 2k yards.... and that was after Hill actually had a good year compared to Mixon's 3.5 YPC.

1. Hunt
2. Kamara
3. Fournette
4. Cook
5. McCaffrey
6. Mixon/Perine/Williams

I believe that might have had something to do with his shitty OL?  We'll see where he pans out this year.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 08:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yet. However you give Mixon the lines these guys had and he right in there.

(08-05-2018, 08:28 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I believe that might have had something to do with his shitty OL?  We'll see where he pans out this year.

Maybe so, but that's the thing. MAYBE so.

That said, even with a great OL, I honestly don't see Mixon on the level of Hunt/Kamara's 2017 season, though.

Kamara: 120 carries/728 yards (6.1 YPC)/8 TD ... 81 catches/826 yards (10.2 AVG)/5 TD
Hunt: 272 carries/1,327 yards (4.9 YPC)/8 TD ... 53 catches/455 yards (8.6 AVG)/3 TD
Mixon: 178 carries/628 yards (3.5 YPC)/4 TD ... 30 catches/287 yards (9.6 AVG)/0 TD

I don't see an improved OL bridging that big of a gap. Those guys were electric. Kamara had 7 less touches than Mixon, but 639yd/9 TD more. That's not just OL.

And Mixon isn't big enough that we can compare it to Bell's rookie season, where Bell lost 20lbs in the offseason after his low YPC rookie season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 09:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Maybe so, but that's the thing. MAYBE so.

That said, even with a great OL, I honestly don't see Mixon on the level of Hunt/Kamara's 2017 season, though.

Kamara: 120 carries/728 yards (6.1 YPC)/8 TD ... 81 catches/826 yards (10.2 AVG)/5 TD
Hunt: 272 carries/1,327 yards (4.9 YPC)/8 TD ... 53 catches/455 yards (8.6 AVG)/3 TD
Mixon: 178 carries/628 yards (3.5 YPC)/4 TD ... 30 catches/287 yards (9.6 AVG)/0 TD

I don't see an improved OL bridging that big of a gap. Those guys were electric. Kamara had 7 less touches than Mixon, but 639yd/9 TD more. That's not just OL.

And Mixon isn't big enough that we can compare it to Bell's rookie season, where Bell lost 20lbs in the offseason after his low YPC rookie season.

Good stats, they will be turned on their head this year. Mixon is just as talented as those two, had better vision
than both Hunt and Kamara in college, has just as good of hands and is bigger, stronger and just as fast.

We will see who is the more talented back this season, my bet is on Mixon. Those guys were impressive behind
far superior O-lines, far superior, behind our O-line they would of disappeared. Its amazing Mixon averaged what
he did behind the most passive O-line of all time, shit of shit. Never seen anything that embarassing.
Reply/Quote
We did do some things right this time. But the thing that is holding me back from getting excitied is that we did the biggest thing wrong.

MARVIN IS STILL HERE

Untill he actually wins a playoff game, or if they ever fire him(LMAO) I can't get fully excitied for a Bengal season.

Prediction 9-7
Reply/Quote