Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon To Be More Involved In The Passing Game?!
(06-26-2022, 05:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dehner did a fantastic job of articulating what many of us have been thinking about the prospects of the Bengal offense, heading into the 2022 season.  Great share!

I thought exactly the same. Their podcast the other day with Taylor and Callahan was golden. You can tell they really feel that finally they can run an offense they envisioned
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 04:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The Athletic Mailbag …. Paul Dehner
Will the run game or pass game improve more because of the O-line improvements? I think Joe Mixon and Joe Burrow both have a chance to be top five at their positions. — Zachary Popp

This one could probably go either way, but I would lean toward the running game. First off, over the last two seasons, La’el Collins has ranked as one of the best run-blocking offensive linemen in football.

He ranked fifth in run-block grade in 2019 and last year eighth among every offensive lineman. The idea of him plowing the back side of the wide zone with Mixon’s absurd ability to cut back with power coming off his blocks provides a dangerous weapon for the running game.

Alex Cappa and Ted Karras should serve as upgrades there as well, with the entire combination fitting into offensive line coach Frank Pollack’s glass-eating vision for the ground game.

A few advanced stats to ponder when thinking about the potential spurt for Mixon with more consistent run blockers in front of him. The Bengals ranked 31st in the NFL last year in yards before contact per rush (0.86). The league average was 1.49.

The Bengals also ranked fifth in yards after contact per rush (3.14). The average was 2.83.

If Cincinnati could continue to make as many yards after first contact while avoiding so many of the hits in the backfield and other drive-killers that led to such an awful before-contact average, they could plop an extra half yard onto every run.

An offense that has Burrow at quarterback and averages 4.5 yards per carry on the ground will run it up all season long. They become nearly unstoppable.

Finally, the Bengals ranked 26th in the league in percentage of third-down runs that produced a first down (44.2 percent). The league average was 52.8 percent and the Buccaneers led the NFL at 71.4 percent.

Short yardage has been a point of emphasis and analysis this offseason by offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and the coaching staff. Finding ways for those runs to be better even just to a league-average level, which could naturally be the case with more dynamic run blockers up front, could extend 8 percent more drives during the year.

That’s significant.

Meanwhile, the passing offense will improve with better protection. Giving Burrow more time will only allow for him to dissect the intermediate and deep edges more. But he already came off a year when he led the league in yards per attempt and PFF grade. There’s only so much efficiency you can squeeze out of the position. Fewer sacks will go a long way in creating more opportunities, but there is more room for significant improvement in the running game, and the hosses coming to town are built to take advantage.

Fantastic read. Honestly exactly what I think will happen once the OL gels. The thing is we need to just do what works and if the 
running game is working so well, why throw? This is why I agree completely with what is said here about the running game having
much more room for significant improvement. Mixon and the RB's as this shows got hit in the backfield more than any other team
and yet Mixon was still a top 5 RB last season. Insane.

Awesome that we got Cappa here now who was on the best team for producing 1st downs on 3rd down runs. This is exactly what
we needed to improve on Offense, this and in the Red Zone.

Great post Soonerpeace, thanks for sharing this man. Wink
Reply/Quote