Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon and Perine
I don’t start many threads but I’ve noticed there has been a ton of talk about our lack of a running game. I know Mixon is considered an elite RB and a lot of people are down in Perine, but during the saints game watching our two RBs I feel Perine runs harder, it just seemed to be he was much more explosive, Mixon makes better cuts, but I just feel Perine takes his opportunities and makes the most of them.

Just my worthless 2cents

Edit; it sometimes looks as tho Mixon just gives up or looks “lazy”. Does anyone else see that?
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon has looked elite the past couple of weeks. Great cuts and explosiveness. Perine looks good though too. I'm fine with the time split but I'd prefer to play Perine more on third downs for his pass pro ability. Mixon has been putrid blocking.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:13 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I don’t start many threads but I’ve noticed there has been a ton of talk about our lack of a running game.  I know Mixon is considered an elite RB and a lot of people are down in Perine, but during the saints game watching our two RBs I feel Perine runs harder, it just seemed to be he was much more explosive,  Mixon makes better cuts, but I just feel Perine takes his opportunities and makes the most of them.

Just my worthless 2cents

Edit;  it sometimes looks as tho Mixon just gives up or looks “lazy”. Does anyone else see that?

The last 2 games the run game and specifically Mixon has been trending up. In the past Mixon has looked like 2 different backs in the same season. I believe he excels at a certain type of run blocking scheme. Maybe someone else could help with more insight on the scheme. Or maybe certain schemes are easier for offensive lineman to block. But I believe we have been changed it the last two games so I'm hopeful the trend continues.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think Mixon has looked elite the past couple of weeks. Great cuts and explosiveness. Perine looks good though too. I'm fine with the time split but I'd prefer to play Perine more on third downs for his pass pro ability. Mixon has been putrid blocking.

Perine is just a guy. I like him. Does a lot of things well. Good blocker, good receiver, and can get tough yards. But he's not a RB1 in the NFL.

Mixon is a stud.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:25 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The last 2 games the run game and specifically Mixon has been trending up. In the past Mixon has looked like 2 different backs in the same season. I believe he excels at a certain type of run blocking scheme. Maybe someone else could help with more insight on the scheme. Or maybe certain schemes are easier for offensive lineman to block. But I believe we have been changed it the last two games so I'm hopeful the trend continues.

Yup... I tend to lean towards scheme as well. Mixon can still perform now does he perform relatively to his contract well no.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:13 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I don’t start many threads but I’ve noticed there has been a ton of talk about our lack of a running game.  I know Mixon is considered an elite RB and a lot of people are down in Perine, but during the saints game watching our two RBs I feel Perine runs harder, it just seemed to be he was much more explosive,  Mixon makes better cuts, but I just feel Perine takes his opportunities and makes the most of them.

Just my worthless 2cents

Edit;  it sometimes looks as tho Mixon just gives up or looks “lazy”. Does anyone else see that?

Mixon is recovering from an ankle injury for the 1000th time....
Reply/Quote
I’ll have to say that this is the best I have ever seen Perine.He just looks faster and stronger than he’s been in the past.He’s seeing the field well,and making good cuts.Maybe it’s not so much that Mixon has declined,but Perine has just improved to the point that Mixon doesn’t appear as dominant as opposed to Perine.

At this particular point Perine is outplaying Mixon.Although that doesn’t mean he’s going to ever be #1 RB,but he might get a few more carries if he keeps improving.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:26 PM)TCUBengal34 Wrote: Perine is just a guy. I like him. Does a lot of things well. Good blocker, good receiver, and can get tough yards. But he's not a RB1 in the NFL.

Mixon is a stud.

Except when he has to block, then he is a turd. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mixon is recovering from an ankle injury for the 1000th time....

DAMN!!! That's a lot of ankle injuries
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:40 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I’ll have to say that this is the best I have ever seen Perine.He just looks faster and stronger than he’s been in the past.He’s seeing the field well,and making good cuts.Maybe it’s not so much that Mixon has declined,but Perine has just improved to the point that Mixon doesn’t appear as dominant as opposed to Perine.

At this particular point Perine is outplaying Mixon.Although that doesn’t mean he’s going to ever be #1 RB,but he might get a few more carries if he keeps improving.

Weird timing of this thread and some posts as Mixon is coming off his best 2 games of the season. He's averaged 5.6ypc the last 2 games on 22 carries. 
Reply/Quote

Just my worthless 2cents

Prior to the last 2 games Mixon was running primarily wide zone plays which requires the RB to find the hole, whereas most of Perine's run plays seem to be more straight forward inside gap.  Mixon has been running the inside gap the last 2 games and is doing very very well.

The pass in the flat in which the defender had Mixon dead to rights and somehow missed was a tremendous move that Perine does not have in his tool box.

Reply/Quote
I was thinking about this on my walk to work this morning: Perine is built more like a FB, so he has more-bruising and tougher runs, but watch all of his touches this year; he is HARD to bring down, man.

Guy's always on his feet.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
That mini jump / hurdle that Mixon did was a pretty awesome , athletic and instinctive move. I do think Perine has had some decent moments lately too. If the line keeps progressing, I still think Mixon could have a pretty great year moving forward if he’s used right.
Reply/Quote

Just my worthless 2cents

Until two weeks ago this would have been my take, but Mixon has run well the last few games.

Not sure if the ankle had anything to do with it or not per he was dancing around in the back field a lot when running bad. Did not really seem hobbled with his dance moves, just hesitant.  

Believe Casear is right about the schemes playing a big roll in his turn around.    

Well that and shear determination, now if only he would attack blocking with the same determination. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Everyone always thinks the spellback "runs harder" or "is more explosive". Like no shit, dude spends most of the game riding the pine pony - it's easy to have burst when you've got fresh legs. It's the same thing with backup edge rushers - easier to look good when your opponent is worn down.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 09:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I was thinking about this on my walk to work this morning: Perine is built more like a FB, so he has more-bruising and tougher runs, but watch all of his touches this year; he is HARD to bring down, man.

Yes. Seems a bit quicker too.

Mixon seems slightly slower, but maybe not. Mixon hasn't broken many tackles.

Doesn't it seem like Mixon has started years rushing slowly before too? This isn't the 1st year.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 10:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Seems a bit quicker too.

Doesn't it seem like Mixon has started years rushing slowly before too? This isn't the 1st year.

As others have said I think Mixon looks like a different back the past couple of weeks and he made a lot of people miss and had a ton of YAC.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 09:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I was thinking about this on my walk to work this morning: Perine is built more like a FB, so he has more-bruising and tougher runs, but watch all of his touches this year; he is HARD to bring down, man.

Yes ThumbsUp

Perine is more like Pete Johnson FB type. Just 30 lbs. lighter lol. He's more of a between the tackles grind out 4 yards bust you in the mouth with an occasional 9 yard type runner.

Mixon has more agility can make a guy miss. But he lacks that true 3rd gear. He needs to stay in his lane as well. Make a cut and hit it. And I believe he's learning that.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 10:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Seems a bit quicker too.

I think Perrine just needed an infusion of confidence which all players do. He's obviously more compact than Mixon and has a lower center of gravity. Seems to me he's more physical and tougher to find in piles. Both have contrasting styles. Plus, imo, anybody that rushes in major college football for over 400 yards in a game and averaged almost 13 ypc needs to get some carries.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 05:13 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I don’t start many threads but I’ve noticed there has been a ton of talk about our lack of a running game. I know Mixon is considered an elite RB and a lot of people are down in Perine, but during the saints game watching our two RBs I feel Perine runs harder, it just seemed to be he was much more explosive, Mixon makes better cuts, but I just feel Perine takes his opportunities and makes the most of them.

Just my worthless 2cents

Edit; it sometimes looks as tho Mixon just gives up or looks “lazy”. Does anyone else see that?

I don’t really think Mixon is elite but he’s in the tier right under elite. No one runs harder than Mixon so i don’t see laziness at all. I think the run scheme was just bad. Mixon is still a guy that’s hard to get for a negative play. He didn’t all of a sudden forget how to find holes. I think the scheme was horrible and Zac was just running too many times a game. When you have one of the leagues worse YPC you shouldn’t then Also be leading the league in rush attempts. We were running so much and so blatantly that teams would literally sit 9 in the box at times

It’s ok to have poor run pass balance when you have 3 elite WRs, a gelling offensive line, a great TE and Joe Burrow.

I’d venture to bet Mixon finishes the year strong.

Perine is a great backup RB imo. Iv got a running joke in the game threads where i say his Oklahoma tape was amazing. He’s definitely got power and skill too.
-Housh
Reply/Quote