Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon calls out the lack of effort.
No problem at all with what Mixon said. I too would like those players who are lacking in effort to stay at thier homes. When I hit the lottery and purchase this dumpster fire organization, he might be one of the few players I keep around.....Provided he backs up what he is saying.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As much as everyone here fawning over Mixon.

If he said it in the locker room then why would he even have to say it to a reporter?

Their is no "leadership" in playing up to the fans and media.

Technically he did say it in the locker room lol.

Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 01:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont know how anything said below can be misconstrued as being negative:

“You’re going to know who is going to let up and [who will] go play 100 percent,” Mixon said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “You’re going to know who’s shutting it down. At the end of the day, it’s how bad do you want it? Either go out and give it 100 or stay home. Don’t show up.”

He's not calling out teammates for not working or playing hard in past games, he's saying they still need to show up and work hard..and if they don't, people will notice.

Maybe this team needs a little "positive reinforcement"...for the love of God we all know the Marvin hand clapping on the sidelines isnt working.

It's not a negative statement, I just see it as misguided, naive, and generic.  And positive reinforcement in this case would be getting some W's for the hard work...something that doesn't really happen when you are working your arse off for coaches that torpedo the gameplan and an owner who has no interest in keeping up with the proverbial Jones's of the NFL.

Mixon should know what it is like to run as hard as you can and come up short because their chintzy owner gave you a crap o-line...and that's just one example.  I predict we will see enough effort to save Marvin Lewis for another year, though.  So there is that.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: As much as I hate to admit it, I get the feeling that was Adam Jones.

actually, this team started sliding soon as Reggie Nelson left.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
We need more of these type of players in order to try and change the culture. Changes at top and at HC would help obviously.

AS to the locker room, you can tell by the teams lack of effort or inconsistent effort that ML is not listened to any longer. He is being tuned out.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: That guy is playing for Denver Sunday. 

Pacman? He was released by the Bronco's a week or so ago.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 01:51 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We need more of these type of players in order to try and change the culture. Changes at top and at HC would help obviously.

AS to the locker room, you can tell by the teams lack of effort or inconsistent effort that ML is not listened to any longer. He is being tuned out.

The issue with players and coaches that try to change the culture is that they've spend the last 27 years failing to change the culture...which leaves them in a position of give up and stick it out (ala Marvin) or leave (ala Boomer/Wyche/Carson/Dillon/etc.).  If you like Mixon and want him to be a Bengal you are taking a genuine risk by hoping he attempts to lead a revolution against the Mike Brown way.

I'm just saying!
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You notice how the only players seeming to be the ones talking about this are all offensive players? Perhaps it's (mostly) the defense who has thrown in the towel.

Yes. it's quite peculiar.....although I do think I recall Preston Brown and Vinnie Rey echoing some similar sentiments, and acknowledging themselves as culpable as well.

(11-30-2018, 12:27 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Sadly they threw the towel many weeks back.

LMAO

(11-30-2018, 01:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If you look at the entirety of what Mixon said in the overall context of the article, I don't see an issue:

“You're going to know who is going to let up and (who will) go play 100 percent,” Mixon said, asked about the next five games. “You're going to know who's shutting it down. At the end of the day, it's how bad do you want it? Either go out and give it 100 or stay home. Don't show up.”

“I came from Oklahoma and we don't lose much there, two games at most that I lost there, and at the end of the day, at this point, where we're at in the locker room, how bad do you want it? “ Mixon said. “You either go out and give it your all, leave everything out on the field or you might as well stay in the locker room or don't come or suit up or whatever it is. Everybody knows what time it is. We're sitting at 5-6. We've got five games left. I'm going to give it my all these next five games, I'm going to do whatever I can to put us in the best position possible, but everybody gotta want the same thing and I want it. I'm going to do whatever I can to take it.”

Right....he's challenging his teammates, and himself.  I see nothing wrong with it, and applaud it.

(11-30-2018, 01:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont know how anything said below can be misconstrued as being negative:

“You’re going to know who is going to let up and [who will] go play 100 percent,” Mixon said, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “You’re going to know who’s shutting it down. At the end of the day, it’s how bad do you want it? Either go out and give it 100 or stay home. Don’t show up.”

He's not calling out teammates for not working or playing hard in past games, he's saying they still need to show up and work hard..and if they don't, people will notice.

Maybe this team needs a little "positive reinforcement"...for the love of God we all know the Marvin hand clapping on the sidelines isnt working.

Right on.....it's making himself, and his teammates accountable for staying the course.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 01:46 PM)Okeana Wrote: actually, this team started sliding soon as Reggie Nelson left.

Good point, and I agree.....I feel Nelson was the general in the secondary, and Pacman was the emotional, firey type of inspiration.  I always viewed Reggie as the "Silent Assassin".

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like Mixon.  It may sound like I am bashing him here, but all I am really saying is that these type of comments to the media has nothing to do with "holding players accountable" or motivating them to play better.

I get the sense that this has been a conversation that has been had multiple times in the locker room. Otherwise, you'd assume the first step would be to initiate an inter-locker room conversation, rather than go to the media.

Of course, that is giving Mixon the benefit of the doubt that he has tried working with his team and this is just frustration boiling over.
Reply/Quote
And now his touches per game will be even less Whatever

You know Marv won’t be happy a second year player is saying what needs to be said
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 01:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If you look at the entirety of what Mixon said in the overall context of the article, I don't see an issue:

“You're going to know who is going to let up and (who will) go play 100 percent,” Mixon said, asked about the next five games. “You're going to know who's shutting it down. At the end of the day, it's how bad do you want it? Either go out and give it 100 or stay home. Don't show up.”

“I came from Oklahoma and we don't lose much there, two games at most that I lost there, and at the end of the day, at this point, where we're at in the locker room, how bad do you want it? “ Mixon said. “You either go out and give it your all, leave everything out on the field or you might as well stay in the locker room or don't come or suit up or whatever it is. Everybody knows what time it is. We're sitting at 5-6. We've got five games left. I'm going to give it my all these next five games, I'm going to do whatever I can to put us in the best position possible, but everybody gotta want the same thing and I want it. I'm going to do whatever I can to take it.”

I agree with you. He wasn't throwing anyone under the bus or calling anyone out. He's going to go 100% the last 5 games and hopes his teammates will follow and not pack it in... 
Reply/Quote
Thats right and he does lead by example out there, Mixon gives it his all every snap.

Also agree with the others as this DOES show Marv has lost the locker room once again.

Dude NEEDS to go for this team to become what it can be, lots of talented players with heart.

The ones that don't have that heart need to go along with Marv.
Reply/Quote

Sounds like he is leading by example, the teams that win it all every year want it the most.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 03:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good point, and I agree.....I feel Nelson was the general in the secondary, and Pacman was the emotional, firey type of inspiration.  I always viewed Reggie as the "Silent Assassin".

I remember in the preseason one of the defenders, I think it was Kirkpatrick, said something to the effect of things were better this year because they didn't have players yelling at coaches and stepping out of line.  I think that may have been a reference to losing Jones.  Maybe the defense just doesn't have anyone unhinged enough to get in their faces when they start backing off.  Might have something to do with Vontaze's drop-off, too.  Those two fed off of each other's aggression, for better or for worse.

That Njoku touchdown last weekend where he bulldozed his way into the end zone was a pretty stark display of want to vs lack of it.  
Reply/Quote
There was a quote last week and many said Mixon was calling out the coaching staff, because that's what they wanted. I said then that he was calling out his teammates and that's exactly what he did then and now.

As to Fred's slant: I agree true leadership happens behind closed doors, but he's a young kid that acts like he just won the Superbowl every time he gets a first down. Hopefully a team leader (AJ maybe) will get him on point/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: the teams that win it all every year want it the most.

No.  The teams that win it all have the best players and coaches.

We have no idea who wants it the most.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 01:35 PM)HuDey Wrote: ... When I hit the lottery and purchase this dumpster fire organization, he might be one of the few players I keep around...

You could have hit the largest lottery ever at 1.6 Billion, and still not have had enough to buy the Bengals... the franchise is worth 1.8 Billion.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 04:41 PM)samhain Wrote: I remember in the preseason one of the defenders, I think it was Kirkpatrick, said something to the effect of things were better this year because they didn't have players yelling at coaches and stepping out of line.  I think that may have been a reference to losing Jones.  Maybe the defense just doesn't have anyone unhinged enough to get in their faces when they start backing off.  Might have something to do with Vontaze's drop-off, too.  Those two fed off of each other's aggression, for better or for worse.

That Njoku touchdown last weekend where he bulldozed his way into the end zone was a pretty stark display of want to vs lack of it.  

You're right, I had forgotten about that.  It very well could have been Jones....no one else that left came off as doing something like that, but ya never know.  He and Burfict sure seemed like the Bengals' version of The Toxic Twins.

Indeed it did.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 12:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He isn't, but you are?

No. None of ud know how Mixon comducts himself in there, or wjat has transpired (if anything) to prompt this.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote