Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mixon could return against the Falcons
The back has been explosive catching and running with the ball, and was a huge part of Cincinnati's 2-0 start. He was limited in Week 2 by the injury, but carved up the Ravens defense when he was on the field and is vital to coordinator Bill Lazor's game plan. Mixon has rushed for 179 yards on 38 carries with one rushing touchdown in two games this season, and also had six catches for 57 yards and a touchdown. Mixon is feeling much better since the scope and, if the incision heals before the Bengals take the field in Week 4 at the Atlanta Falcons and there is no advanced risk of infection, he could be active by then.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-mixon-could-return-for-the-bengals-in-week-4-despite-recent-knee-surgery/
Reply/Quote
Meh, I say keep him sidelined and don’t take any chances. 1 more week out isn’t going to kill us.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 07:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Meh, I say keep him sidelined and don’t take any chances. 1 more week out isn’t going to kill us.

I'm with your Harley.  As a guys that has had more knee procedures than most people have had visits to the dentist - the "cleaned up" areas in a knee scope need to be healed near 100% before attempting "normal" activities.  I would consider playing running back in the NFL, just a little above normal Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
I'm kind of split on it . I've had procedures that healed up really quick . Last year I pretty much buried a hatchet in my knee and it hurt like hell for the first week. After a few weeks it was healed up completely with absolutely no pain. 
Then again I heal really quick every time I get cut. If I have to go get stitched up I almost always stop bleeding long before I make it to the hospital .
If Joe is one of the lucky few who heals really fast let him play if he's ok..After all,  it's his knee . If he wants to risk it let him.. It's just a game, huh? It'll have been what, 15-16 days? It's not like he had his entire leg surgically reattached.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 09:23 AM)grampahol Wrote:  It'll have been what, 15-16 days? It's not like he had his entire leg surgically reattached.. 

15 days is a long time to not be able to do any kind of physical exercise. It can take a little bit to get your legs back to where they were. Theres really no sense in playing him this game and maybe having him not be at his best for the next 4 instead of sitting him this one and having him full go the rest of the way. 
Our run game looked fine in the limited attempts they got in Carolina. 
Reply/Quote
If we waited an eternity for Eifert, we can wait 3 games for Mixon.

Mixon, let it heal... let - it - heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal.
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one here that thinks Gio can do almost as much as Mixon?

People forget how good Gio can be. Build a game plan around him catching and running the ball. Dont rush Mixon back.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 07:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Meh, I say keep him sidelined and don’t take any chances. 1 more week out isn’t going to kill us.

I dont think Mixon makes a huge difference in this game even if he plays, especially with AJ out. Im already chalking this game up as a loss. 2-2 heading into a home game with the Dolphins and Steelers. Get everyone healthy. Ill take it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Am I the only one here that thinks Gio can do almost as much as Mixon?

People forget how good Gio can be. Build a game plan around him catching and running the ball. Dont rush Mixon back.

I don't think it's that close. Gio is good and fun to watch, but Mixon has potential to be a top 3-5 RB in this league. He can do everything at such a high level, and has a nice build to make it hard to tackle him. 

I'm with you on this week though. I posted about moving on to Atlanta, but if we don't have AJ, then I'd just prefer to hold Mixon out an extra week and get back to truly 100%. Nobody in our division is running away with it this year, so just let it be. Especially if Pittsburgh beats the Ravens this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Am I the only one here that thinks Gio can do almost as much as Mixon?

12 carries last week didn't show the coaches' confidence in Gio. Narrow minded coaches.. we even started the game with the lead. No excuse. We won the first 2 games because we had a running game and our talented WR/TE to deliver by air. FastForward to game 3... we have our WR/TE still but we abandoned the running game after GIO, yes, GIO stuffs one running TD on the panthers.

This one is on the coaches. Hammer
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 10:20 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont think Mixon makes a huge difference in this game even if he plays, especially with AJ out. Im already chalking this game up as a loss. 2-2 heading into a home game with the Dolphins and Steelers. Get everyone healthy. Ill take it. 

Hate to say it - but I'm kind of with you.  Outside of week 1 - the falcons have dropped over 30 points on their last two opponents.  The Bengals defense has given up an average of over 28 ppg over the first three weeks.  Down their #1 RB and WR, and starting center - don't see them able to win a shoot out.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised that the defense can stouten up and Boyd, Ross and Malone can work magic.  Eifert and the other TE's should have a big day - but between them and Gio, probably not going to be enough.
Reply/Quote
Put me in the camp with the guys that say wait.

If we're to win this game, it's most likely going to be a shootout style game and high scoring. Running the ball isn't going to be that important.

Our Dline getting home on the pass rush will as well as throwing the ball - a lot. Gio can get it done from that stand point.

Save Mixon for later in the season.
Reply/Quote
I would want him to return if Gio didn't play well this past Sunday, but dude was playing great. Why we didn't use him more, I don't know, but having Mixon in there doesn't mean anything changes on Sunday except MAYBE they run the ball more. The reality is our defense didn't do its job and that's the main reason we lost. Having Mixon wouldn't have changed that.

If he's ready, then let him play, but if he's not, give him more rest and let Gio carry the load.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 09:23 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm kind of split on it . I've had procedures that healed up really quick . Last year I pretty much buried a hatchet in my knee and it hurt like hell for the first week. After a few weeks it was healed up completely with absolutely no pain. 
Then again I heal really quick every time I get cut. If I have to go get stitched up I almost always stop bleeding long before I make it to the hospital .
If Joe is one of the lucky few who heals really fast let him play if he's ok..After all,  it's his knee . If he wants to risk it let him.. It's just a game, huh? It'll have been what, 15-16 days? It's not like he had his entire leg surgically reattached.. 

Note to self, wear my glass while splitting wood...... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Well all they did was go in and remove a piece of something that was floating around. They didn't cut, reattach or anything else to tendons, ligaments, etc. If the incision is healed and his pain is gone, no reason for him not to play.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 11:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I would want him to return if Gio didn't play well this past Sunday, but dude was playing great. Why we didn't use him more, I don't know, but having Mixon in there doesn't mean anything changes on Sunday except MAYBE they run the ball more. The reality is our defense didn't do its job and that's the main reason we lost. Having Mixon wouldn't have changed that.

If he's ready, then let him play, but if he's not, give him more rest and let Gio carry the load.

Completely agree. If the D coordinator gets his ass out of head, this offense will be fine without Mixon this week.
Reply/Quote

No, you're not alone in that thought.  Gio is a very talented back.  He averaged just over 5 yds/touch versus Carolina.  If the OL can establish any sort of rhythm on Sunday, he could easily handle 25 touches.  There's no need to rush Joe back into action, and risk ripping open that incision.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It doesn't have to be 100% one or the other. If him and the doctors think he's ready to go, let him be "active" but limited. Give him 3-5 touches just to shake the rust off and gain confidence in his knee, then he's really ready to go full-steam for week 5.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 07:40 AM)Trademark Wrote: The back has been explosive catching and running with the ball, and was a huge part of Cincinnati's 2-0 start. He was limited in Week 2 by the injury, but carved up the Ravens defense when he was on the field and is vital to coordinator Bill Lazor's game plan. Mixon has rushed for 179 yards on 38 carries with one rushing touchdown in two games this season, and also had six catches for 57 yards and a touchdown. Mixon is feeling much better since the scope and, if the incision heals before the Bengals take the field in Week 4 at the Atlanta Falcons and there is no advanced risk of infection, he could be active by then.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/joe-mixon-could-return-for-the-bengals-in-week-4-despite-recent-knee-surgery/

Well we get some good news for a change this week.

Now, if the defense shows up we should be able to win, with or without Mixon.

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote