Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now
This comes out to like 9.8 per year over the next 5 years, maybe we slightly overpaid but Mixon is young and has the talent of a top tier RB that can help Burrow for the next 5 years. This is the time get guys like Mixon locked up and ready to play while we have our QB on a rookie deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would have signed for much less.

maybe maybe not...but it would likely have taken a much longer time to get the deal done. Probably would have involved more "migraines" limiting his play.  And taken the focus off the season 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think after this season, where you see him used more in the passing game instead of heading to the bench for Gio to pick up a blitzer (and taking one more option out of the pattern) that the contract me be viewed as a bargain.  

No such thing as that deal being a bargain in the current realities of HB's in the NFL. I'd rather give Aaron Jones or maybe Marlon Mack 8 or 9 a year, to be honest. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 03:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, the extension is 48 over 4. He has one year remaining on the current deal to make it 5. Now if they spread some money forward to this year and we are looking at somethign closer to 10 a year with little guranteed after 3 it wouldn't be a train wreck.

He will get signing bonus proration this year.  I'm assuming they will also give him a roster bonus this year, as well.  Just have to wait and see the details.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe, I was thinking somewhere between 8-10 was the reset market for him. The only thing I can think is Kamara was about to get a deal and the Bengals panicked. 

It is $48 over 5 years.  That is less than 10 million a year.  Not the 12 I was originally thinking.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe, I was thinking somewhere between 8-10 was the reset market for him. The only thing I can think is Kamara was about to get a deal and the Bengals panicked. 

Could be about to claim Fournette and knew paying him 4 million and Mixon 1m would cause problems. 

4m for Fournette isn't much given what we pay Gio.

Happy the deal is done. After the season with Burrow, it'll look like a steal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It looks like a fair deal for both parties. Hope Joe & Joe can get it done for this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is $48 over 5 years.  That is less than 10 million a year.  Not the 12 I was originally thinking.

Do you have a source? Everything I have seen is 48 over 4 new money, but he had a year remaining. Unless they pushed money forward then it will still be 48 over 4 starting next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:01 PM)pally Wrote: maybe maybe not...but it would likely have taken a much longer time to get the deal done. Probably would have involved more "migraines" limiting his play.  And taken the focus off the season 

I was thinking $12 million a year when I wrote that.

But the contract is actually 48 over 5 years or $9.6 million per year.

I was figuring 8 to 9 per year.  So that is not much more than I expected.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:01 PM)pally Wrote: maybe maybe not...but it would likely have taken a much longer time to get the deal done. Probably would have involved more "migraines" limiting his play.  And taken the focus off the season 

I know everyone is making fun of these "migraines" but from my understanding, he had dental surgery last week on the first day he missed.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Does this deal help the cap space this year?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: Do you have a source? Everything I have seen is 48 over 4 new money, but he had a year remaining. Unless they pushed money forward then it will still be 48 over 4 starting next year.

Players don't have to wait a year to get paid when they sign an extension.  It is a whole new contract.  They extended him 4 years which makes 5 total.  And it is for $48 million.

At least that is the way I read it.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Does this deal help the cap space this year?

Hopefully not, his cap number was 1.7 and they'd be better off bringing 10 forward into this year to make more space next year and beyond. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Does this deal help the cap space this year?

Thinking it is a jump but it's an extension not a new deal so not sure if that means it will hit next year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Do you think they will let Gio go after paying Mixon?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: No such thing as that deal being a bargain in the current realities of HB's in the NFL. I'd rather give Aaron Jones or maybe Marlon Mack 8 or 9 a year, to be honest. 

Thats insanity, your talking about saving a million to replace a guy that had more rushing yards than both those guys with one of if not the worst Oline in the NFL.

Jones had defenses worried about Aaron Rodgers while Mixon had defenses looking at a washed up Dalton and a rookie at QB.

Not to mention the Colts have one of the best lines in the NFL and Mack still looked pedestrian.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:07 PM)Okeana Wrote: I know everyone is making fun of these "migraines" but from my understanding, he had dental surgery last week on the first day he missed.  

I am pretty sure he was laying out of practice until this deal got done.

Honestly he would have been crazy not to.  He was only due to make $1.2 million this year.  So if he got injured in practice it could have cost him $46 million.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players don't have to wait a year to get paid when they sign an extension.  It is a whole new contract.  They extended him 4 years which makes 5 total.  And it is for $48 million.

At least that is the way I read it.

Nah, that isn't how it works. It didn't dissolve the 1.7 he was owed this year. Now with that said, the Bengals historically front-load, so it is very possible they load 10 of it into this year to make the last 4 years much lower. The structure will matter here. If the bulk of the guarantee is done 3 years in it's not the worst thing in the world.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: Could be about to claim Fournette and knew paying him 4 million and Mixon 1m would cause problems. 

4m for Fournette isn't much given what we pay Gio.

Happy the deal is done. After the season with Burrow, it'll look like a steal.

I doubt that happens, but I wouldn't mind seeing fournette here.  It would give a combination of running styles and offer great value as an injury backup.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:09 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Thats insanity, your talking about saving a million to replace a guy that had more rushing yards than both those guys with one of if not the worst Online in the NFL.

Jones had defenses worried about Aaron Rodgers while Mixon had defenses looking at a washed up Dalton and a rookie at QB.

Not to mention the Colts have one of the best lines in the NFL and Mack still looked pedestrian.

I can name a bunch of guys, point being HB's are a function of blocking. Advanced metrics will go as far as to say rushing outcomes most the time are functions of box counts. Either way, there will be a surplus of backs in FA and recent HB contracts have blown up most the time.
Reply/Quote