Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now
(09-01-2020, 04:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: We can debate that point if the Bengals continue to waste his (and frankly, Gio's) value as a potential receiver.  Right now, for what Mixon can bring to the table, I consider the contract fair and could (emphasis on the word COULD) prove to be a bargain.  If he puts up CMC numbers this year, we will be singing the Brown family's praises for getting it done in advance.

Plus, at the very least, it is one thing less that ZT has to worry about.  His team, as he wished it to be assembled, is largely healthy and ready to take the field.  

...or he could become Bell, Gurley, Johnson, Freeman and we are regretting it. History shows us he is more likely to be one of those guys than McCafferey, who himself could fall into a similar boat. People here hate this take, I get it, but the stats just say you are more likely to lose than win on re-signing backs because the data shows the decline is a real thing for almost all backs after 5-6 years of usage.
Reply/Quote
Good for Joe. He has taken advantage of his second chance after his problems in college. He's kept out of trouble and done a good job behind a bad o-line. Hopefully the o-line improves this year and he really has a great year. I'd really like it if he got involved in the passing game a bit more as well. I'm not sure if that is a big part of the Bengals playbook but it would be cool to see IMO.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would have preferred a deal under 10 million a year, but I think the Henry deal kind of set the market for RBs. Mixon is younger, is a better receiver and has more room to grow than Henry so it makes sense that he'd get paid similar to him.

I'm glad this one extension is done and over with. Now we can focus on Green, Lawson and WJIII next year! Big Grin All three have big years coming up, as they each have injury concerns but a big year could mean a big pay day for their next contracts.

The Derrick Henry deal is not the same. Derrick was not under contract. They get him for 4 years at $50 Mil. We get Joe 5 years for $49.2 Mil.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Derrick Henry deal is not the same. Derrick was not under contract. They get him for 4 years at $50 Mil. We get Joe 5 years for $49.2 Mil.

We already had him for one of those years at 1.7 mil.

We valued him at 12 mil per.  Just because it averages out to be less than over 5 years doesn't mean we valued him less than extension average.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Derrick Henry deal is not the same. Derrick was not under contract. They get him for 4 years at $50 Mil. We get Joe 5 years for $49.2 Mil.

The other thing to remember was Henry was tagged, so he had 10.2 already guaranteed for this year, so when they gave him the contract they didn't take on much more guaranteed. In fact, the Titans beyond the signing bonus only gave him guarantees for two years, which is what I am hoping is happening here.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is an emotional runner and now that his emotions are all positive I expect him to explode this year. Worth the signing or not, I just like the way the guy plays and the passion he has for the game, his city and his teammates.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would you call it a terrible deal if we tore up his rookie contract today and signed him for $49 Mil for 5 years? That puts you under your $10 Mil threshold. It's why many teams are doing extensions instead of new contracts it makes everyone happy.......well not some folks on a message board.

This doesn't make sense.

He's now valued at 12 mil per, per his extension.  We already held his right rights for the 1.7 mil 2020 season.

I'm not going out of my way to be unhappy. I've made my opinion known on his worth no less than 20 times on this board.  And I've ripped pretty much every single RB contract that's fallen north of 10 mil per.  Inluding the recently signed Mcafferty and Henry.

To each their own.  If you like the deal then more power to you.  But I'm also entitled to my opinion.  And using some bs math, with no understanding of actual contract values, isn't going to change my mind.
Reply/Quote
Mixon signs a four-year extension that keeps him in stripes for another five years!

Details of the deal are still being finalized this afternoon, but this is HUGE NEWS!

This has become a passing league, so having a bruiser like Mixon that can break a long run at any time is still possibly more valuable than ever!

Not to mention that having a back as good as Mixon will help make Burrow's transition into the NFL a BILLION TIMES EASIER because teams won't be able to tee-off on the pass rush! Defensive lines will be rushing upfield, blink, and Mixon's 10 yard past you!

Here's the story!

Quote:Joe Mixon and the Bengals have agreed to a four-year extension that will keep the running back under contract with Cincinnati for five more seasons, according to ESPN sources and multiple reports.

The language of the deal was still being finalized Tuesday afternoon, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Mixon tweeted a picture of himself with members of the Bengals front office Tuesday before he joined the rest of the team for practice.

Mixon, 24, had been absent from practice recently as he suffered from migraines, according to Bengals coach Zac Taylor.

Mixon, a second-round pick in the 2017 draft, was set to make $1.2 million this season in the final year of his rookie deal. The former Oklahoma star told ESPN at the end of last season that he wants to be a "Bengal for life," amid early speculation about his contract situation.

Mixon rushed for 1,136 yards and five touchdowns last season, his second straight season with over 1,000 rushing yards. He is one of four running backs in the NFL with at least 1,400 yards from scrimmage in each of the past two seasons, along with Carolina's Christian McCaffrey, the Giants' Saquon Barkley and Dallas' Ezekiel Elliott.

The Burrow-Mixon-Green-Boyd era in Cincinnati will be INCREDIBLE!

(Sorry, I didn't check the other thread titled with the migraines.)
Reply/Quote

Well, they're just 1 year apart is all. 

The Titans got Henry for 4 years 5.4 million, and then 4 more years 50 million.

We get Mixon for 4 years 5.45 million (of which he has played 3 of the 4) and then, after that contract expires, we get him for 4 more years at 48 million.

Total value of their two sets of contracts are still only 1.95 million dollars apart over the 8 years of service they will accrue with their respective teams, assuming they play out their respective contract extensions. The only difference is when they signed their extensions.

Let's say we don't sign Mixon to an extension, he plays on his current deal and then, going into 2021, we franchised Mixon and then signed him to the exact same contract we just did.

In that scenario, his career contract negotiations would be virtually identical to Henry's. So the only difference is the timing of the new contract. The money is basically identical.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...or he could become Bell, Gurley, Johnson, Freeman and we are regretting it. History shows us he is more likely to be one of those guys than McCafferey, who himself could fall into a similar boat. People here hate this take, I get it, but the stats just say you are more likely to lose than win on re-signing backs because the data shows the decline is a real thing for almost all backs after 5-6 years of usage.

Agreed.  I like Joe.  I even hyped him up in the draft forum and was happy that we took him.  But people that think this is a good deal simply aren't playing the odds.  With a strong FA class next year, the draft, the franchise tag, and the fact that the cap is going to go down next year, I wouldn't have given him close to that.
Reply/Quote
Worth every penny will be what Burrow needs for sure.
Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon signs a four-year extension that keeps him in stripes for another five years!

Details of the deal are still being finalized this afternoon, but this is HUGE NEWS!

This has become a passing league, so having a bruiser like Mixon that can break a long run at any time is still possibly more valuable than ever!

Not to mention that having a back as good as Mixon will help make Burrow's transition into the NFL a BILLION TIMES EASIER because teams won't be able to tee-off on the pass rush! Defensive lines will be rushing upfield, blink, and Mixon's 10 yard past you!

Here's the story!

The Burrow-Mixon-Green-Boyd era in Cincinnati will be INCREDIBLE!

It's 4 years, 48 mil

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Mixon-s-Migrane-Should-Be-Good-Now?pid=896864#pid896864
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I would have expected a discount for paying early. In no way did we get one.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This doesn't make sense.

He's now valued at 12 mil per, per his extension.  We already held his right rights for the 1.7 mil 2020 season.

I'm not going out of my way to be unhappy. I've made my opinion known on his worth no less than 20 times on this board.  And I've ripped pretty much every single RB contract that's fallen north of 10 mil per.  Inluding the recently signed Mcafferty and Henry.

To each their own.  If you like the deal then more power to you.  But I'm also entitled to my opinion.  And using some bs math, with no understanding of actual contract values, isn't going to change my mind.

My lack of understanding how contracts are valued aside. Feel free to call it BS math if you wish, but it's why teams do it; you'll see when the final numbers come out. It's what KC did with Mahomes.

To just look at this as $12 Mil per year and call it dumb without seeing the final numbers is in my opinion....

Reply/Quote
A good value extension I think. Sometimes it's worth a bit of extra money to avoid the headaches. There are too many positive things going on with the Bengals at the moment to bring about a negative contract negotiation.
Reply/Quote
Brad's late to the party. Given, perhaps we should change the title of the first one.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 05:03 PM)IcoHolic Wrote: Sometimes it's worth a bit of extra money to avoid the headaches.

In this case this is a literal statement.
Reply/Quote
Joe runs hard every play, and has proven he can get yardage behind a so so offensive line. As the line improves, so will he. I expect a big year from him barring injury, and if we were going to pay him a big contract, now is the time to do it while we have Burrow on the cheap. This team is shaping up to be loaded....
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 05:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My lack of understanding how contracts are valued aside. Feel free to call it BS math if you wish, but it's why teams do it; you'll see when the final numbers come out. It's what KC did with Mahomes.

To just look at this as $12 Mil per year and call it dumb without seeing the final numbers is in my opinion....

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm talking about the value placed on him.  That value is 12 mil per season over 4 seasons.  It's really simple.  And those are the "final numbers".

In Mahomes case, I never once attempted to place an annual value on the contract.  He's a league MVP, Super Bowl winner, who threw for 50 TD's.  I'd say his contract, which has the potential to north of 500 million, isn't really apples to apples.

I know what we're paying Joe Mixon over the next 5 seasons.  And I also so know what we paid to keep him the additional 4.  These are not complimented things to understand.  Some of us choose to look at them differently (correctly).
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 05:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What the hell are you talking about?  I'm talking about the value placed on him.  That value is 12 mil per season over 4 seasons.  It's really simple.  And those are the "final numbers".

In Mahomes case, I never once attempted to place an annual value on the contract.  He's a league MVP, Super Bowl winner, who threw for 50 TD's.  I'd say his contract, which has the potential to north of 500 million, isn't really apples to apples.

I know what we're paying Joe Mixon over the next 5 seasons.  And I also so know what we paid to keep him the additional 4.  These are not complimented things to understand.  Some of us choose to look at them differently (correctly).

Okey Doke.

Reply/Quote