Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now
contract details

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 06:54 PM)pally Wrote: contract details

That's a nice contract for both Mixon and the Bengals.

Congratulations Joe you've earned it. I'm praying you continue to have a great career in stripes.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 06:54 PM)pally Wrote: contract details

amazingly structured its perfect!  the 4th year is a club option so if things turn downhill the team has an out.  Doesn't have the guaranteed money listed, but i would assume that would be paid off by year 2 with all the frontloaded money on the contract.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 07:00 PM)Okeana Wrote: Doesn't have the guaranteed money listed, but i would assume that would be paid off by year 2 with all the frontloaded money on the contract.

The guaranteed money is the signing bonus of 10 mil.  The other bonus are non-guaranteed roster and play time bonus.

I'm not sure how you're seeing it as being frontloaded.  The base salary jumps each year. 
Reply/Quote
not a fan of the move. Love Mixon, but I think we should save the money for our trenches and secondary.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 04:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: It won't because signing HB's is bad business. The below article on HB contract basically sums up why. It comes down to the fact that only about 10% of backs receiving second long term contracts maintain their production from before the contract. 90% of them either slowly declining or fall completely off the cliff but most are cut by the 2nd/3rd year.

https://overthecap.com/the-outcomes-of-running-back-contracts/

Did not read the report but have read many similar articles about RB declines...  The thing is...Joe just turned 24 last month...he is barely older than out rookie QB...  RBs tend to decline near 30 years old...not so much playing time as actual age catching up...Joe will be 29 when this contract ends.... Joe is the emotional leader on offense and of the best backs in the league....
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 07:05 PM)spazz70 Wrote: RBs tend to decline near 30 years old...not so much playing time as actual age catching up

I'll see if I can find a few articles but there's been extensive research done to support the idea that most running backs deline due to usage more than they do age alone.

I know there's one long-standing theory that if a running back hits near or exceed something like 900 carries over a 3 year span then you almost always start to see a decline.  And there's also magic number for individual seasons as well, I think it's 370.  If a running back hits this number of carries in a single season then they're pretty much done no matter how old they are.
Reply/Quote
I am ok with this deal now that I see how it’s structured. I look at this like a 4 year deal where he makes a lot in the first year with the signing bonus. Then it goes to a more reasonable salary in years 2-4. I would not bet on that final year but I hope he plays so good they have to pick it up. That’s very doubtful so I am not counting it when I look at this deal.

If my math is correct then, assuming he gets all of the playing/workout bonuses he will average under 10 million per season over the next four years (including 2020 but not 2024)
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 07:28 PM)Clark W Griswold\ Wrote: I look at this like a 4 year deal where he makes a lot in the first year with the signing bonus. 

Are they putting the entire signing bonus against year 1?

I haven't seen anywhere where it shows how they're spreading it out yet, only that it's 10 mil.

Anyone got the deets?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 06:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Batted passes and run defense don't drive the 10+ mil market for DE's.  It's just not the way it works.

Carlos Dunlap will be 32.75 years old when 2021 opens up, due a whopping 13.25 mil.  He's definitely a potential cap casualty if continues to disappear for chunks of the season.

Wow.  Never really seen anyone's age have a decimal point.  Interesting.

We'll just agree to disagree on how his value to this team is calculated.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 07:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Are they putting the entire signing bonus against year 1?

I haven't seen anywhere where it shows how they're spreading it out yet, only that it's 10 mil.

Anyone got the deets?

I thought that is what they said but I may be wrong.
Either way it looks like the guaranteed money for 2020 - 2023 averages out to less than 10 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 07:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Are they putting the entire signing bonus against year 1?

Anyone got the deets?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Gratz Joe. Hard work pays off.
Reply/Quote
And miraculously the migraines disappear. Funny how money cures that.
Reply/Quote
Terrible deal.

Even if we ignore how paying non-generational talent RBs is a bad idea, they just gave him $500k/yr less than Henry, and Mixon is nowhere near Henry.

Bengals are going to regret this because they're locked in pretty solidly now. $6m in dead cap if they tried to get out in '22, $4m in '23.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 05:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-signing-rb-joe-mixon-to-4-year-extension
Good to see

Synric was the first to post on the extension, so all subsequent threads on same topic will be merged into this one.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 07:59 PM)pally Wrote:
I don't think we have the cap space to put the entire signing bonus against this years cap.  I'm guessing that it will get spread out capwise.
I think he just put into year 1 because it's paid out immediately.
Reply/Quote
They just updated the contract details. Here's the actual cap breakdown:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/joe-mixon-21789/

Cap Hits Per Year:

2020 - 4.325 mil
2021 - 10.7 mil
2022 - 10.7 mil
2023 - 12.1 mil
2024 - 12.3 mil
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 08:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Terrible deal.

Even if we ignore how paying non-generational talent RBs is a bad idea, they just gave him $500k/yr less than Henry, and Mixon is nowhere near Henry.

Bengals are going to regret this because they're locked in pretty solidly now. $6m in dead cap if they tried to get out in '22, $4m in '23.

It's definitely not a great deal.

I know most people on here really like him, and think he's a damn good player.  But I think that severly clouds their judgment when it comes to actually placing a fair market price for him.

We didn't get much value here.  There's zero discount for paying early.  And to put him right at the value of a player who just rushed for 1,540 yards at 5.1 a pop, with 16 TD's, who just played in Superbowl, is pretty absurd.

Mixon simply doesn't have the production to warrant this amount of money.  Not to mention, paying running backs this much is usually not a good use of cap space.

To each their own though, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 08:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They just updated the contract details. Here's the actual cap breakdown:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/joe-mixon-21789/

Cap Hits Per Year:

2020 - 4.325 mil
2021 - 10.7 mil
2022 - 10.7 mil
2023 - 12.1 mil
2024 - 12.3 mil

What’s the dead $$$ situation if cut each yr (knowing that the bengals rarely do that...)?
Reply/Quote