Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon should have took a knee at the half yd line.
I love how we snapped the ball after the catch with AJ with like 18 seconds left on the play clock. Just take the clock all the way down to a second and either call TO or snap it. Just so basic.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 07:05 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Absolutely not. If you can get in the end zone, get in the end zone. Mixon did nothing wrong. For the most part, what happened wasn't a bad thing. Mixing in a couple of other runs on the drive would've used a little more clock. We did still have 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning when the drive started.

However, I think you have to hope your D can get 1 more stop with only 78 seconds left.

Agree with everything except Dalton should have had more clock awareness and ran clock before snapping the ball. Only so many plays can be run within that distance and having 2 timeouts there was absolutely no need to snap the ball as early as he did.
Reply/Quote
Nothing is a guarantee. Score points when you can.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 09:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I love how we snapped the ball after the catch with AJ with like 18 seconds left on the play clock. Just take the clock all the way down to a second and either call TO or snap it. Just so basic.

The game clock was not running after the out of bounds play.  So what is "so basic" about letting the play clock run longer?

Can you believe fans like this try to make fun of the coaches clock management?  He is actually suggesting we burn a time out when the game clock is not even running.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 09:30 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Only so many plays can be run within that distance and having 2 timeouts there was absolutely no need to snap the ball as early as he did.

Even running "hurry up" no huddle it takes 15-20 seconds to run a play, unpile the tacklers, let the officials spot the ball, and have the offense set long enough to snap the ball again.  With 1:20 and 2 timeouts that means we could have ran 4 to 6 plays, but we would have to be in full "hurry up" mode which limits our ability to call plays or adjust personnel. If we had started "burning clock" then we would have only had time for 3 to 5 plays.   With 2nd and 3 from the 4 it could have taken us up to 7 plays to score.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 03:01 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Nothing is a guarantee. Score points when you can.

I don't think you will ever see a team trailing by 6 down the ball before the goalline.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 07:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As long as he didn't do the "I'm eating pretend soup" thing.  I'm so damn sick of everyone doing that.  

Me too.  Fortunately, there aren't that many guys still doing it.  Unfortunately, Mixon is one who still is.  It's a five yard run.  Get over yourself.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 03:42 PM)McC Wrote: It's a five yard run.  Get over yourself.

Right, fans are entitled to go crazy when they "see" that play, but the guy who trained and busted his ass to actually accomplished it is not allowed to celebrate.

That makes a lot of sense.

All he did was score a go ahead TD in an NFL game.  Who HASN'T done that at some point in their life.
Reply/Quote
Physics prevented him from taking a knee. When he came through the hole, he had too much forward lean and momentum to be able to take a knee. And he had to break at tackle at the LOS, which is why he was leaning to begin with. It was only a four yard run with defenders all around.

Taking a knee at the end of a longer run with nobody around is really the only way taking a knee works.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, fans are entitled to go crazy when they "see" that play, but the guy who trained and busted his ass to actually accomplished it is not allowed to celebrate.

All he did was score a go ahead TD in an NFL game.  Who HASN'T done that at some point in their life.

That's how I see it.  Celebrations can be worth of an eye-roll, but fans tend to go pretty ape-poop when thigns happen (actually, we feel like we are lousy fans if we DON'T go ape-poop), so who are we to tell someone who is actually accomplishing something to calm down and not celebrate.  I like to assume I'd be quiet and dignified as an NFL player, but I've never had tens of thousands of people cheering my actions, either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Grammar lesson for the day:

I should be have taken , instead of have took.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 05:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's how I see it.  Celebrations can be worth of an eye-roll, but fans tend to go pretty ape-poop when thigns happen (actually, we feel like we are lousy fans if we DON'T go ape-poop), so who are we to tell someone who is actually accomplishing something to calm down and not celebrate.  I like to assume I'd be quiet and dignified as an NFL player, but I've never had tens of thousands of people cheering my actions, either.

I like it when guys celebrate TDs, INTs, sacks, critical 1st downs, and things like that.  I also like it if they don't, it's their call.  I DON'T necessarily like celebrations on routine plays.  It cheapens the celebration of a worthy play for one thing, and for another......really dude?  It's not all about you....lol.  I don't see why folks get all riled up over a person doing something that not many people on this planet could do and celebrating that.  As long as it's not tasteless, celebrate if you want.....or don't.  Do your thing.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We had the ball at the 40 on their side of the field with 2 mins left throw short high % passes to move down the field and burn the clock seen it hundreds of time in the NFL. The team with the ball at the end normally win specially this year with the offense being favored by the refs and the new rules. Our head coach has no clock awareness and we have not taught our players to have any either. Our offense was either forced to score as quickly as they could or Lazor does not know how to manage a game winning drive which I do not think is the case.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 07:02 PM)motoarch Wrote: This is stupid.

Thank You.  I have a thread on here, " My Take On Bengals Loss To Steelers ".   I said it was a well played game.  Dalton moved Bengals to game winning TD with under 2 minutes left.  Two future Hall of Famers Big Ben to Antonio Brown came back to score, much like HOF combo of Montana to Rice.  As a Bengal Fan, it hurts.  It was a well played game, on to the Chiefs.   I asked what do you want Mixon to do, not go in for the TD with under 2 minutes to go.  Field goal would have kept Bengals behind, and they needed a TD with under 2 minutes.  Some said nobody is saying Mixon shouldn't have scored......Well, now you have a thread that Mixon shouldn't have scored. 

Thank you for saying it is stupid.  The blocking hole was there, Mixon pounded it in with some extra effort.  Bengals went ahead after 2 minute break.  

Lets say Mixon gets cute and takes a knee at the 1, which goes against all football logic behind by more than 3 points.  What if Steelers goal line D never lets Bengals into end zone after that.  That's possible with our O line still in rebuilding mode. Now fans are are going wild because Mixon took a knee at the 1, and they would be right to be upset over that. 

So thank you for saying the idea of Mixon trying to not score would have been stupid.  :andy:  Football is not played for Green or Boyd to go out of bounds at the 1 on purpose or Mixon to take a knee at the 1 on purpose. When you get a chance to score touchdowns, you score touchdowns. Lets say Mixon takes a knee at the 1, and the next play is illegal procedure on O Line moving ball back 5 yards. You don't tell players not to score touchdowns, that would be real bad coaching idea. You could try this stuff in Madden Games, but not in real football.

Also Mixon has to be aggressive. He goes into end zone and Steelers have to lay off late hits. He stops at the 1 and Steelers on goal line can clobber him. We already have Bernard injured.

As to Dalton should have called plays slower, 2 things. Under 2 minutes and Bengals needed to drive the field for a TD, 3 would not have helped. Also Lazor has the offense in more hurry up than the last OC and the offense has been much better under Lazor. It could be Mixon scored because Lazor and Dalton caught the wrong D set on the field, and the faster snap was what helped score. When you are down more than 3 with under 2 minutes, you are lucky to get a TD against Steelers D. The TD is not what lost the game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, fans are entitled to go crazy when they "see" that play, but the guy who trained and busted his ass to actually accomplished it is not allowed to celebrate.

We weren't even talking about a TD celebration.  I'm fine with them.  It's the feed me thing.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 03:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even running "hurry up" no huddle it takes 15-20 seconds to run a play, unpile the tacklers, let the officials spot the ball, and have the offense set long enough to snap the ball again.  With 1:20 and 2 timeouts that means we could have ran 4 to 6 plays, but we would have to be in full "hurry up" mode which limits our ability to call plays or adjust personnel. If we had started "burning clock" then we would have only had time for 3 to 5 plays.   With 2nd and 3 from the 4 it could have taken us up to 7 plays to score.

Dave Lapham and Rocky Boiman disagree with you and they both played the game.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you will ever see a team trailing by 6 down the ball before the goalline.

I don't think anyone would ever try it. Ever...

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/sports/football/super-bowl-46-after-giants-surreal-touchdown-debates-on-the-strategy.html

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 05:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: I like it when guys celebrate TDs, INTs, sacks, critical 1st downs, and things like that.  I also like it if they don't, it's their call.  I DON'T necessarily like celebrations on routine plays.  It cheapens the celebration of a worthy play for one thing, and for another......really dude?  It's not all about you....lol.  I don't see why folks get all riled up over a person doing something that not many people on this planet could do and celebrating that.  As long as it's not tasteless, celebrate if you want.....or don't.  Do your thing.....

Yeah, I get neither high nor low on it.  I will say the choreography and planned nonsense reminds me a little too much of stupid crap suburbanites do at their wedding receptions, though.  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 06:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I get neither high nor low on it.  I will say the choreography and planned nonsense reminds me a little too much of stupid crap suburbanites do at their wedding receptions, though.  

Agreed.

When it's singular it can be both ends of the spectrum.

Chad was great...  until Ocho went overboard!

The whole group choreography thing is cheesy as F.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Why not just have Mixon run the opposite direction to our own 1 yard line which would have given us more than enough time to run out the clock?  Isn't it already a foregone conclusion that we would have scored anyway? 
Far be it from me to suggest that the game is fixed, but....it ain't carved in stone that it's 100% on the up and up. 

Just in case you might be wondering if I'm actually serious about him running backwards...uhhh..no..
I'm only clarifying this because never in the history of Bengals fandom have we ever had fans with a lousy sense of humor.  Nervous You know who you are. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote