Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon to take pay cut?
(04-18-2023, 11:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: In 2021 - mixon was top 3 in yards, top 4 in tds, top 5 in first downs

That’s the only year.

It's all dependent on how you qualify it. He was also #3 in rushing attempts, and was top three in rushing attempts inside the 5. IIRC, the majority of his TDs came from two yards or in. He had a lot of yards because he ran the ball a lot, but he wasn't very good at it. 

Some people only like to look at volume production and others like efficiency. I think efficiency is the better way to look at it, and Mixon has rarely been efficient. He has been a high volume/low efficiency back for most of his career. 
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say this in the nicest way for Mixon, but he should only be offered about what Samaje Perine got with the Broncos.
2 years, $7.5 mill. $3.75 mill APY.
Maybe bump Mixon up to $4 mill APY since he has been overall more productive, but only because he got more of the touches.
Both Mixon and Perine have rushed for about the same YPC (Perine actually a bit higher), so it's not like Mixon was a standout.

With that said, I'm not overly concerned whether he's on the team or not.
Having ~4.0 YPC isn't considered good anymore, it's ~4.5 YPC.
Over 25 RBs that played significant snaps had 4.3 YPC or higher. 19 of them 4.5 YPC or higher.

I'm not saying any RB can achieve what Mixon did, but I do think it's relatively easy given enough opportunity to get 800+ rushing yards for close to 4.0 YPC in about any offense in the NFL nowadays. I do think an early draft pick can definitely do it, and you'd have them for 4-5 years on a very affordable contract.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 09:09 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Play for the Bengals?

I highly doubt any other team would pick him up with his past and current legal problems, especially since he’ll be 27 by the start of the season with over 1300 carries.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 11:37 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm going to say this in the nicest way for Mixon, but he should only be offered about what Samaje Perine got with the Broncos.
2 years, $7.5 mill. $3.75 mill APY.
Maybe bump Mixon up to $4 mill APY since he has been overall more productive, but only because he got more of the touches.

With that said, I'm not overly concerned whether he's on the team or not.
Having ~4.0 YPC isn't considered good anymore, it's ~4.5 YPC.
Over 25 RBs that played significant snaps had 4.3 YPC or higher. 19 of them 4.5 YPC or higher.

I'm not saying any RB can achieve what Mixon did, but I do think it's relatively easy given enough opportunity to get 800+ rushing yards for close to 4.0 YPC in about any offense in the NFL nowadays. I do think an early draft pick can definitely do it, and you'd have them for 4-5 years on a very affordable contract.

I have to agree with you and Killergoose, Mixon is very low on the pole, as far as efficiency goes.  I would like to add that he's also appeared to me to be very ineffective in critical short yardage situations.  Way too many 3rd and shorts have resulted in FGA and punts.  If you want to be in that top pay tier, you've got to be able to come through in crunch time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am a little confused on the Bengals plan with Mixon.

If they brought Perine back or signed a vet RB in FA, then I feel like the plan would be a little more clear. Right now, they only have Williams and Evans on the depth chart...both leave a lot to be desired of.

So even if they draft a RB somewhat early and cut Mixon, Im not sure I feel 100% confortable going into the season with THAT. Part of me wonders if they are going to double dip in the draft. Maybe go after a cowbell type of back like Charbonet and then draft a burner in the later rounds.

Either way, I am all for cutting Mixon - I am not sure things are super peachy with him and the guys in the locker room as well. I've just heard stories.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am a little confused on the Bengals plan with Mixon.

If they brought Perine back or signed a vet RB in FA, then I feel like the plan would be a little more clear. Right now, they only have Williams and Evans on the depth chart...both leave a lot to be desired of.

So even if they draft a RB somewhat early and cut Mixon, Im not sure I feel 100% confortable going into the season with THAT. Part of me wonders if they are going to double dip in the draft. Maybe go after a cowbell type of back like Charbonet and then draft a burner in the later rounds.

Either way, I am all for cutting Mixon - I am not sure things are super peachy with him and the guys in the locker room as well. I've just heard stories.

Agreed.

Can we double dip at RB? People think we're going to double dip at TE too. We need a RT possibly. We probably need help at DT and DE and CB too.

Lots of needs.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed.

Can we double dip at RB? People think we're going to double dip at TE too. We need a RT possibly. We probably need help at DT and DE and CB too.

Lots of needs.

They could. They also might draft just one and sign a free agent to complement the draft pick. A bigger paired with jerrick McKinnon or a smaller back paired with zeke elliott possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am a little confused on the Bengals plan with Mixon.

Also post draft vets will be available.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed.

Lots of needs.

I don't see room to add another DE, personally.
They added Basham for that, who will compete with Gunter for the last DE spot.
DT seems like it could be a selection, but not necessarily one that needs addressed this year, as they have 5 DTs on the roster in Reader, Hill, Carter, Tupou, and Tufele.

If the Bengals go DT, I think it will be an heir to Reader, as both he and Tupou are in final year under contract.

Bengals can double-dip at TE and RB, but that would leave only 3 other draft picks for other positions.
If the double-dip happens, it will for sure be Day 3 picks for the 2nd TE and RB taken, I feel.

If Bengals keep Williams this year, I don't see much room for another OT with Brown, Ford, and Carman already on the roster too. Collins is due to come back, and I doubt they keep 5 OTs unless one of them essentially is slotted as a guard.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like that we are confident enough now in our team that we can talk about cutting Mixon without following it up with warnings that the Steelers will sign him in 2 seconds and then the media will love him and he will run all over us for years to come.
Reply/Quote
They won't be doing anything with Mixon until after the draft, since the course of action will be predicated on whether they pick a RB, in what round and who it is.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: They could.  They also might draft just one and sign a free agent to complement the draft pick.  A bigger paired with jerrick McKinnon or a smaller back paired with zeke elliott possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-18-2023, 12:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Also post draft vets will be available.

Good points. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 01:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: They won't be doing anything with Mixon until after the draft, since the course of action will be predicated on whether they pick a RB, in what round and who it is.

Right. I think we all understand that. That's how the Bengals have operated for years.
Reply/Quote
I think Zac and Brian want to add a real homerun
Threat to the backfield. A RB that can hit the crease
And simply outrun the defense at the 2nd and 3rd levels.
Mixon was never that can kind of RB..how many career runs of 30 yd plus runs does he have for his career?
The Bengals for so Long have lack that explosion element
At RB. They have had RBs that can get you 70 80 yds a game. But it takes them 20 to 26 carries to accumulate that. Plus Mixon is a poor judge of hitting the correct hole
Or making the right read in front of him.
Combine that with his lackadaisical approach to pass blocking, he deserves a pay cut or to be cut altogether
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 10:46 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Sounds like the Bengals are going to ask Mixon to take a pay cut.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/04/bengals-expected-to-ask-joe-mixon-to-take-pay-cut

(04-17-2023, 10:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cut him.

Yep, expecting us to give him a big time pay cut, one that might be so low it is insulting lol

Take it or you're cut will be the options for Mixon and he can compete for a job with a couple new RB's that we add in the Draft.

But you have to pass protect in our passing Offense, just the way it goes here now. He doesn't fit and even seems hesitant in trying.
Reply/Quote
My take on this has been the same since the season ended.

He's done as a Bengal. He cost too much for his production, doesn't fit the system and backs are the most replaceable position on the field.

Bring zek in on a vet min contract to replace perine on passing downs as he's an excellent blocker and draft a replacement for Mixon.

This has nothing to do with off field stuff it's strictly a business move that's best for the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 03:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Zac and Brian want to add a real homerun
Threat to the backfield. A RB that can hit the crease
And simply outrun the defense at the 2nd and 3rd levels.
Mixon was never that can kind of RB..how many career runs of 30 yd plus runs does he have for his career?
The Bengals for so Long have lack that explosion element
At RB. They have had RBs that can get you 70 80 yds a game. But it takes them 20 to 26 carries to accumulate that. Plus Mixon is a poor judge of hitting the correct hole
Or making the right read in front of him.
Combine that with his lackadaisical approach to pass blocking, he deserves a pay cut or to be cut altogether

The challenge is finding a RB who is both a home run threat but also a good pass blocker.
Usually the guys who are better pass blockers are the bigger dudes who don't pick up big chunks of yards.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 03:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The challenge is finding a RB who is both a home run threat but also a good pass blocker.
Usually the guys who are better pass blockers are the bigger dudes who don't pick up big chunks of yards.

Well, both Darren Sproles and even Gio to a point were this and they were small RB's. Haven't really paid attention to Keaton Mitchell's
pass blocking but he is a small RB that is also a home run threat. Also believe Tyjae Spears can do all of this as well. Gibbs is only a home
run threat, Bijan probably won't be around at 28 who can do both, Charbonnet I like but he isn't the best blocker according to some.

Chase Brown is probably the best in pass pro in this draft, him and Roschon Johnson who I also like but neither seem to be home run 
threats especially Roschon.
Reply/Quote
If they were going to just get rid of him, he would have been gone a long time ago.

And LOL at those stats.

What were the yearly offensive line rankings during Mixon's career as a pro? That'll tell you more than "RB efficiency" numbers.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 04:26 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If they were going to just get rid of him, he would have been gone a long time ago.

And LOL at those stats.

What were the yearly offensive line rankings during Mixon's career as a pro? That'll tell you more than "RB efficiency" numbers.

Been a bad OL in front of Mixon his entire career you are correct, but he missed a lot of holes last season especially early.

My biggest problem with Mixon is his pass pro is terrible and he is paid FAR too much for what he brings. Inconsistent as a runner and...

The off field problems don't help either.

Disagree, I think if we Draft a couple RB's he will either take the restructure or be cut after the Draft. No point in cutting him prior.
Reply/Quote