Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon to take pay cut?
Jeremy Fowler ESPN: “Joe Mixon, here’s another one that’s a high-end running back due $9.4 million in salary. The Bengals have been non-committal about Mixon’s future publicly, so that’s why he’s one to watch here because they need running back help though, they’re pretty thin behind him. So, they could keep him because they believe he had a good all-around year last year, but something has to give. They got to pay Joe Burrow, so they need some extra money.”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 04:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jeremy Fowler ESPN: “Joe Mixon, here’s another one that’s a high-end running back due $9.4 million in salary. The Bengals have been non-committal about Mixon’s future publicly, so that’s why he’s one to watch here because they need running back help though, they’re pretty thin behind him. So, they could keep him because they believe he had a good all-around year last year, but something has to give. They got to pay Joe Burrow, so they need some extra money.”

Not throwing slings at you Sooner, but that's a lot of "nothing we didn't already know" from Jeremy Fowler.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 07:44 PM)Stewy Wrote: Not throwing slings at you Sooner, but that's a lot of "nothing we didn't already know" from Jeremy Fowler.

I’ll make sure the next time I post it will be more “breaking” LOL it was from Saturday

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-think-joe-mixon-had-003349270.html
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 10:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cut him.

Yeah... He should take a pay cut to nothing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 11:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Has Mixon ever performed like a Top 5 back for a season?

I think he's had really good years, but I don't think he was ever a Top 5 guy.

Dalvi cook, Aaron Jones, Alvin kamara, Leonard fornette, Kareem hunt and some dude named McCaffrey were all drafted in 2017 along with Joe Mixon.

Only one of those RBs has more career yards rushing than Joe Mixon.

Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story but let's not pretend like Joe has played at a very high level.  He just ain't that guy anymore.

We can talk about honestly his value moving forward without diminishing what hes done in the past.
Reply/Quote
Whatever happens, he's not making $12 million or whatever it's supposed to be this year, because no other team is going to pay him that, even without his off field problems. He can take a cut here, or take a cut somewhere else.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 11:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Has Mixon ever performed like a Top 5 back for a season?

I think he's had really good years, but I don't think he was ever a Top 5 guy.

I don't think Mixon is that guy anymore and would not be upset if we moved on from him this year or next. That said, he's consistently had a bottom tier Oline throughout his tenure here which plays a huge impact on RBs effectiveness, especially the way he runs. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am a little confused on the Bengals plan with Mixon.

If they brought Perine back or signed a vet RB in FA, then I feel like the plan would be a little more clear. Right now, they only have Williams and Evans on the depth chart...both leave a lot to be desired of.

So even if they draft a RB somewhat early and cut Mixon, Im not sure I feel 100% confortable going into the season with THAT. Part of me wonders if they are going to double dip in the draft. Maybe go after a cowbell type of back like Charbonet and then draft a burner in the later rounds.

Either way, I am all for cutting Mixon - I am not sure things are super peachy with him and the guys in the locker room as well. I've just heard stories.

I think you are dismissing FA's. Fournette is better and would be cheaper. Elliott and Hunt also would be cheaper.

All 3 have a ton of NFL experience so if it is experience that is concerning, these 3 may be available after June 1 (would not count against compensatory picks).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't know if the Oline can be used as an excuse for Mixon. We watched over the years both Gio and Perine star in Mixons absence with the same "poor" Olines. There could be something to the bad oline argument, but we can't ignore the success both backups had when he went out with that same poor Oline play.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Legal issues not withstanding don't forget that Mixon has never had a great offensive line in front of him. Hell, he's never had an ok offensive line until last year and they surely weren't world beaters.. He's not entirely out in the cold right yet. He hasn't been convicted of anything, just accused and Perine left the building for mile high air.. Williams may or may not be the answer and the same holds true for any rookie they might draft.. I can see the pay cut being in the cards, but I don't see the team just outright cutting him over accusations. I think he takes the pay cut and they find out how the legal issues play out later.   He may or may not play this year for the Bengals, but if he does its his last hurrah in stripes either way. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 08:15 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't know if the Oline can be used as an excuse for Mixon. We watched over the years both Gio and Perine star in Mixons absence with the same "poor" Olines. There could be something to the bad oline argument, but we can't ignore the success both backups had when he went out with that same poor Oline play.

Well I was at MetLife and the Jets game. Had my binoculars and watched that 4th quarter drive that Perine carried 8 times and every carry was 5-7 yard chunks. The OL was blowing back the Jets DL and Perine was just pounding not trying to break anything. The coaching staff and Browns if they believed Mixon was not the answer would have moved on (respecting him to land somewhere) and made sure and kept Perine and set sights on drafting a running back. Now they are looking to replace Perine and possibly Mixon in 2024. Now I don’t think Mixon is out of the woods on his contract. I think his legal issues he’ll survive because it’s he said she said and no video or witnesses to what was said.

The bottom line is most likely Mixon we’ll be asked to take a pay cut and be on a 1 year prove it to keep from being cut for next year. But the bottom line is the coaches know his ability and whether he got the blocking he needed to be successful. It’s not a guessing game. They aren’t Santa Claus or Goodwill or the Red Cross. It’s a business and we’ll see if Joe survives. If he does it means they still value him.

Reply/Quote