Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon wants Watkins
(03-07-2018, 11:19 AM)kevin Wrote: Thoughts ?

OK, my thought is Mixon hasn't done enough to say who should be on this team. He is still earning his stripes. Bernard played better than Mixon.  Ocho wanted TO, team won 4 games.  Mixon wants Watson.  BENGALS NEED BLOCKING.  If Bengals went out and signed 4 Pro Bowl receivers and tight ends, they win only 4 games with no blocking.  I will not be happy with Bengals until they fix the offensive line. They will not go back to play-offs until they fix the offensive line.  Any Salary Cap money for free agents and draft picks must first go to bringing in blockers. After that, we need tacklers at linebacker, still a weak area if you want play-offs and Super Bowl.  Watkins IS NOT a Super Bowl move. The problem is not the Bengals receivers, it is the fact that there is no blocking to run or throw the ball, especially against play-off type teams that are all over Dalton as soon as ball is snapped. Og and Fish block nobody as D players run by to nail Dalton. Our guards and center not much better. The worst O Line in NFL needs completely rebuilt by the new O Line coach from Dallas Cowboys. Give this coach the free agents and draft picks to bring in blockers.  Mixon would benefit much more by blockers opening running and passing lanes. 

Actually, it was Palmer banging the table for TO after they worked out together. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 12:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe we should stop drafting injured players?

Gonna missout on a lot of talent that way.

4 of the top 9 picks in last years draft were injured (Garrett, Fournette, McCafferty, Ross)
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gonna missout on a lot of talent that way.

4 of the top 9 picks in last years draft were injured (Garrett, Fournette, McCafferty, Ross)

I understand that, but my response is more in reply to people who think we have some sort of system in place to prevent rookies from playing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think Mixon might be about to learn his first lesson about how the Bengals handle the hopes and desires of the players...

...by crushing their hopes and dreams like a bug.
Reply/Quote
I refuse to believe that the Bengals will sign a high prices FA WR with a severe injury history.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:06 PM)Stewy Wrote: I refuse to believe that the Bengals will sign a high prices FA WR with a severe injury history.

Remind Mikey too much of Antonio Bryant eh?

I could see that dissuading him for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 10:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We have a lot of young WR talent I would like to develop instead of signing a free agent.

Go back and look at what Sanu and Jones did as rookies.  I think Ross and Malone can develop as well as they did.

I was a huge fan of watkins coming out of college, but we have MUCH bigger needs in free agency than WR.

I'm trying to remember if I've see a rookie 1st round WR have a worst first year than Ross had. Sanu, Jones, Malone, Core and Boyd all had better rookie years than Ross and there's not a 1st round pick among them.

Watkins had 65 catches for 982 yards with 6 TDs his rookie year. Compare that to the triple zero Ross put up.

I'm not counting on Ross for a single thing other being a player I get to rag on due to his pathetic production.

Watkins would be an instantaneous upgrade. Therefore, of course, Mikey Brown won't consider it, no matter what Mixon has to say.

(03-07-2018, 09:06 PM)Stewy Wrote: I refuse to believe that the Bengals will sign a high prices FA WR with a severe injury history.

Nope, but he'll spend the 9th overall pick for one.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm trying to remember if I've see a rookie 1st round WR have a worst first year than Ross had. Sanu, Jones, Malone, Core and Boyd all had better rookie years than Ross and there's not a 1st round pick among them.

Watkins had 65 catches for 982 yards with 6 TDs his rookie year. Compare that to the triple zero Ross put up.

I'm not counting on Ross for a single thing other being a player I get to rag on due to his pathetic production.

Watkins would be an instantaneous upgrade. Therefore, of course, Mikey Brown won't consider it, no matter what Mixon has to say.

I sure hope to see you eating some tasty crow next year Chris.

Don't want to put myself in your position. John Ross will have an entire Offseason to lift weights and get into football
shape. He is a football player, not a track guy. He has great quicks, runs all the routes, is great in space and was the
best redzone threat in college football in Washington at one time.

WJ3 and Billings didn't do anything their rookie year either and look what WJ3 did last year. He might just be the next
great shutdown Corner in the NFL. John Ross has tons to prove and i think he will if he can just get healthy and he is
healthy now.

As i have said before, look out Ross haters. If he can stay healthy he will shut you all up in a great way.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I sure hope to see you eating some tasty crow next year Chris.

Don't want to put myself in your position. John Ross will have an entire Offseason to lift weights and get into football
shape. He is a football player, not a track guy. He has great quicks, runs all the routes, is great in space and was the
best redzone threat in college football in Washington at one time.

WJ3 and Billings didn't do anything their rookie year either and look what WJ3 did last year. He might just be the next
great shutdown Corner in the NFL. John Ross has tons to prove and i think he will if he can just get healthy and he is
healthy now.

As i have said before, look out Ross haters. If he can stay healthy he will shut you all up in a great way.

Look, I'd love nothing more than to see Ross become a high producing WR that helps this team win in the playoffs. But I didn't like the pick at all for the exact reasons that I saw him as a one year wonder who was oft injured and the coaches just plain didn't push back hard enough against Mikey Brown's panic drafting that he gets into when he feels like he's gotta make something happen.

WJ3 and Billings both missed the year on IR. Ross was healthy a number of games and did exactly nothing. Completely different. WJ3 was ready to come off IR, but the team brought back Peerman by mistake. WJ3 would have produced had he been taken off IR, he's a better overall player than Ross will likely ever be.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm trying to remember if I've see a rookie 1st round WR have a worst first year than Ross had.

Yeah well, one run, 12 yards and a fumble are stats that are hard to fall below.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm trying to remember if I've see a rookie 1st round WR have a worst first year than Ross had. Sanu, Jones, Malone, Core and Boyd all had better rookie years than Ross and there's not a 1st round pick among them.

I would not touch Watkins for the money he probably wants.. last two years not good for ex 1st rounder.. 22 games started around 1,000 yards total in WR and 10 TD.. if you give me the injury line.. then how can you trash Ross since he was way more hurt in his 1st year than Watkins has been in last two......
Reply/Quote
Unless the market sours on him and he's available for a lot less than he's expected to get, then I don't see it as a fit.

This team needs o-linemen and linebackers, not receivers.

Between Malone, Boyd, and Ross, the young players need to get a shot at development. Hell, I'd even throw Erickson into the mix. Not high on Cody Core, but even without him, it's a potentially nice young group.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 10:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We have a lot of young WR talent I would like to develop instead of signing a free agent.

Go back and look at what Sanu and Jones did as rookies.  I think Ross and Malone can develop as well as they did.

I was a huge fan of watkins coming out of college, but we have MUCH bigger needs in free agency than WR.

this is dead on............and don't give up on Boyd, Core or Erickson.........B+ WR room

Watkins will land in a city willing to over pay for an oft injured, semi bust, former first rounder
Reply/Quote
I thought Sammy would be a top receiver coming out of college but it doesn't seem like he has . The bills games I watched last year he was playing but he didn't get targeted hardly at all,they was going to Robert woods more ,so how is he getting big money?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Look, I'd love nothing more than to see Ross become a high producing WR that helps this team win in the playoffs. But I didn't like the pick at all for the exact reasons that I saw him as a one year wonder who was oft injured and the coaches just plain didn't push back hard enough against Mikey Brown's panic drafting that he gets into when he feels like he's gotta make something happen.

WJ3 and Billings both missed the year on IR. Ross was healthy a number of games and did exactly nothing. Completely different. WJ3 was ready to come off IR, but the team brought back Peerman by mistake. WJ3 would have produced had he been taken off IR, he's a better overall player than Ross will likely ever be.

Well you didn't like the pick and i did at the time, that is IF he could stay healthy. This was my only concern.

Still a big If but i still see a lot of an Antonio Brown type player in John Ross. We will see with a full Offseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well you didn't like the pick and i did at the time, that is IF he could stay healthy. This was my only concern.

Still a big If but i still see a lot of an Antonio Brown type player in John Ross. We will see with a full Offseason.

It would be awesome if he turned the corner and played like a top 10 draft pick. Maybe will and I hope he does. But until he does it's hard to for me to like him as the #9 pick.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 11:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It would be awesome if he turned the corner and played like a top 10 draft pick. Maybe will and I hope he does. But until he does it's hard to for me to like him as the #9 pick.

Maybe Mixon has some insider trader info here for him to broadcast this. Lets face it, we still don't have that guy opposite Green that can stretch the field and make plays and Ross isn't looking too promising at this point.....they actually explained away why he ran that 4.2 at the combine.....almost like it was a fluke. WTF?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 11:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It would be awesome if he turned the corner and played like a top 10 draft pick. Maybe will and I hope he does. But until he does it's hard to for me to like him as the #9 pick.

And i cannot blame yah.

(03-09-2018, 12:00 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Maybe Mixon has some insider trader info here for him to broadcast this. Lets face it, we still don't have that guy opposite Green that can stretch the field and make plays and Ross isn't looking too promising at this point.....they actually explained away why he ran that 4.2 at the combine.....almost like it was a fluke. WTF?

It wasn't a fluke and who cares it it was? I liked John Ross on the field when he played for Washington.

I want to see THAT guy, not the track star.
Reply/Quote
Would rather have Robinson I think he would be cheaper in all honesty. My preference would be sign Sutton,sign Solder, and re signing Eifert this off season. Free up some room to draft a LB, DE, and Safety early.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 04:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Would rather have Robinson I think he would be cheaper in all honesty. My preference would be sign Sutton,sign Solder, and re signing Eifert this off season. Free up some room to draft a LB, DE, and Safety early.

I would rather have Allen Robinson myself but i doubt he would be cheaper.

Would love a FA of Solder, Sutton and Eifert but i doubt that all happens. Probably Andre Smith, Geno and Dunlap.

If we got Solder instead of Andre i would be ecstatic.
Reply/Quote