Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mixon wants to be a Bengal for life...
(01-01-2020, 04:03 PM)Okeana Wrote: The fact is people want to pay AJ green 18 million when the guy benched himself an entire year to secure another contract.  If he gets franchised he will do the same thing again or just straight hold out.  Joe Mixon has worked hard and been a great example of overcoming your past.  He loves the team and he's super young so making an argument that we keep an injured 32 year old receiver over a 24 year old stud running back is just ignorant imo.

This seems like a Straw man, but I'll bite.

I don't want to pay AJ 18 million. I don't think he's going to be the old AJ. I also don't want to pay Joe Mixon a ton. Sure, I'll go for something reasonable, but the value returned on RB extensions seems to be very small. Look at every playoff team this year. None are paying running backs big money. They've invested it in defenses and lines. 

There was a great thread about this on Twitter yesterday. I highly recommend checking it out 

https://twitter.com/mten_stats/status/1203823705643765760?s=19
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 04:28 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: This seems like a Straw man, but I'll bite.

I don't want to pay AJ 18 million. I don't think he's going to be the old AJ. I also don't want to pay Joe Mixon a ton. Sure, I'll go for something reasonable, but the value returned on RB extensions seems to be very small. Look at every playoff team this year. None are paying running backs big money. They've invested it in defenses and lines. 

There was a great thread about this on Twitter yesterday. I highly recommend checking it out 

https://twitter.com/mten_stats/status/1203823705643765760?s=19

cool post.  Sometimes I feel that people are trying to use scientific data to prove a point, but there are so many data points that go into evaluating true player value.  Not to mention you also have to take into account each team's specific standing in the free-agent market.  Are we going to get players of equal of higher value at other positions that want to play for our team for the money we are offering?  If not then you must spend money on players who you draft and develop.  

I think we all agree that Mixon is worth the extension at the right price.  I may do a full workup of Cap space going into FA/Draft for this year and moves we can make to free up even more space and gain value.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon is good but he is not going to get paid like Bell, Zeke, or Gurley.

The 5th highest paid RB in the league last year (based on average yearly salary) made a little over $8 million.

4 years for 34 million with 20 guaranteed seems like a reasonable offer to get it rolling. Mixon has 3 down skills, and has suffered behind a terrible line. The only guy that makes these bums look good would be Barry Sanders.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 05:08 PM)Okeana Wrote: cool post.  Sometimes I feel that people are trying to use scientific data to prove a point, but there are so many data points that go into evaluating true player value.  Not to mention you also have to take into account each team's specific standing in the free-agent market.  Are we going to get players of equal of higher value at other positions that want to play for our team for the money we are offering?  If not then you must spend money on players who you draft and develop.  

I think we all agree that Mixon is worth the extension at the right price.  I may do a full workup of Cap space going into FA/Draft for this year and moves we can make to free up even more space and gain value.

I agree. I think we're all in agreement that we want him back at a reason price. The truth is, we're trying to gauge what Mike Brown is going to do, so who knows! With the cuts we can make and the money saved we have room for him to stick around.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 06:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Their rush offense went from first in the league in rushing tds to 20th, and they went from 7th to 16th in yards.

And won their division because they spent their money wisely.
Reply/Quote
Running backs are not a dime a dozen. You don't have to be top two every year to prove your worth. Too many variables in that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 10:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Running backs are not a dime a dozen.  You don't have to be top two every year to prove your worth.  Too many variables in that.

I stated this, but in hind sight you may be right. What I should have said is high price RBs are not a guarantee to success. The four top paid Rbs are staying  home during the 2019 playoffs. The Nfl is a passing league. Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton are all HOFers but the one thing they have in common is they have Zero rings. Give him a fair contract but do not overpay him.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:45 PM)Okeana Wrote: i don't think anyone is suggesting that we pay him near 15 million a year.  He won't get that on the open market so why would he get that here?  

See Hart, Bobby
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 11:36 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I stated this, but in hind sight you may be right. What I should have said is high price RBs are not a guarantee to success. The four top paid Rbs are staying  home during the 2019 playoffs. The Nfl is a passing league. Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton are all HOFers but the one thing they have in common is they have Zero rings. Give him a fair contract but do not overpay him.

Walter Payton has one.  I get what you are saying.  Of course don't overpay.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 06:46 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Woah woah woah, dude!!!!

You lost a bet with me. YOUR BET. A battle to the death where the loser had to stay off the boards FOREVER. Looking at your post history, you came back quite a while ago.

What gives?

(12-31-2019, 07:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Weak and pathetic for him to accept that.

Being 100% serious: DELETE MY ACCOUNT. I don't socialize with cowards or clowns who are okay with not honoring their own bets or who shelter those who decide their word is worthless.

Best of luck to you both in finding your spines.

Be sure to delete this so no one sees you get pissed on, coward.

When you get multiple people SENDING PMs (which I get in my email inbox, otherwise I wouldn't have even known) including mods, asking me to come back because my presence is valued and WANTED, that's the only reason why I decided to come back.

After the win against the Jets, is when I got the PM and I came back to respond; I even wrote in said pm:

Quote:I will say this though; if enough people reach out to me and people don't mind the, "bet," being called off (truthfully, I can just post whenever I want lol, I know; but I'm a man of my word), I'll come back; you and Tiger Teeth have so far reached out.

I would like to come back too, because the draft this year will be mighty interesting and will allow for some great discussion; as a team, we could approach it so many ways as there are a few holes that need to be filled.

Please see the bolded, specifically how I absolutely wished to keep my word.

But then I got more PMs and a bunch of very heartfelt messages in the Rep page, so I decided that it would be fine, as many people thought it was stupid of me to do anything in the first place and they want me around.

Take from that as you will.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 12:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Walter Payton has one.  I get what you are saying.  Of course don't overpay.

That Emmitt Smith guy wasn’t too bad either...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: That just isn't realistic to expect. With how easy it is to find a serviceable back spending 15 million a year, which is the new top tier pay scale, would be insane. 

While you're absolutely correct, the guy is clearly a special talent.

if he could only pass block decently, he'd be arguably the most-complete back in the league (Elliot gets that).

If he was another Jeremy Hill, I wouldn't maintain my position.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 12:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: When you get multiple people SENDING PMs (which I get in my email inbox, otherwise I wouldn't have even known) including mods, asking me to come back because my presence is valued and WANTED, that's the only reason why I decided to come back.

After the win against the Jets, is when I got the PM and I came back to respond; I even wrote in said pm:

Please see the bolded, specifically how I absolutely wished to keep my word.

But then I got more PMs and a bunch of very heartfelt messages in the Rep page, so I decided that it would be fine, as many people thought it was stupid of me to do anything in the first place and they want me around.

Take from that as you will.

Stick around... We've lost too many good posters recently for whatever reason. A lot of frustration this year, but no reason to stop something you enjoy doing, and others enjoy you doing it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 09:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: And won their division because they spent their money wisely.

They let Ingram go because they had Kamara under contract.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They let Ingram go because they had Kamara under contract.

They had both under contract in 2018. What's the point you are trying to make? Mine is the Saints opted to pay one million a year instead of five million a year and spent the five million on other more important positions.  The run game is a direct reflection of the total offense. Mixon with a good offense could run for 1500 yds. He could also fall off a cliff and never break 1000yds again.The only problem is we don't have a good offense. There are positions that will help the total offense more than overpaying for a RB.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 03:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well Belicheat called him the best back in the league, but what does he know.....

Dude don't know shit man lol Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 09:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: And won their division because they spent their money wisely.

So did Baltimore
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 04:18 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: They had both under contract in 2018. What's the point you are trying to make? Mine is the Saints opted to pay one million a year instead of five million a year and spent the five million on other more important positions.  The run game is a direct reflection of the total offense. Mixon with a good offense could run for 1500 yds. He could also fall off a cliff and never break 1000yds again.The only problem is we don't have a good offense. There are positions that will help the total offense more than overpaying for a RB.

I'm not sure why you guys all keep saying overpay, who cares it's not your money, and MB is known for being prudish anyways.

At the same time, we have so many other players that we could cut/trade first to make money room if needed.

Now, you mention guys that are the top paid at their HB. but just how many of those guys have had an elite qb on their teams at the same time as having an elite RB?

So with Burrow on a Rookie deal, there is no need to not give Burrow a good hb to lean on til he grows into his own or not. Besides if we don't keep Mixon, then it's catch-22 from the we draft and keep our own group. And by not keeping him, we have another hole to fill, It's a never ending circle with some of you.

I would try to keep Green as well, no reason why we can't continue to give him $15/year with incentives that if he plays and reaches certain milestones then his pay could go up to $17, this would help protect both, AJ and us.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 07:38 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm not sure why you guys all keep saying overpay, who cares it's not your money, and MB is known for being prudish anyways.

At the same time, we have so many other players that we could cut/trade first to make money room if needed.

Now, you mention guys that are the top paid at their HB. but just how many of those guys have had an elite qb on their teams at the same time as having an elite RB?

So with Burrow on a Rookie deal, there is no need to not give Burrow a good hb to lean on til he grows into his own or not. Besides if we don't keep Mixon, then it's catch-22 from the we draft and keep our own group. And by not keeping him, we have another hole to fill, It's a never ending circle with some of you.

I would try to keep Green as well, no reason why we can't continue to give him $15/year with incentives that if he plays and reaches certain milestones then his pay could go up to $17, this would help protect both, AJ and us.
We can't say we don't believe some's worth but you can give away the farm to keep players you are in love with. OK then.
Reply/Quote

That and the rest of the division ***** sucks. That helps a lot.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote