Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More details on Joe's injury

Recovery time is 4-6 months. Bradley Beal also tore this ligament, a player in the NBA for the Washington Wizards. Here is a doctor discussing the success rates of repairing this ligament...

Quote:BF: What is the success rate of various types of surgical procedures to repair the scapholunate ligament?

Dr. Rozmaryn: I’m not sure exactly what repair Beal had, and there are about 20 different procedures to address it. And I’m going to startle your readers, but the success rate of scapholunate ligament surgery is only 75 to 80 percent, even with the best of hand surgeons. The thing is that many of these repairs fall apart. They may fall apart a year or five years after surgery.
EDIT - Link to the article for the above quote.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493b1wo068bmhjh1oijqs7w...w.gif&ct=g]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, that was my analysis, the scapholunate ligament. Whatever the hell that is.

My lord, a success rate of just 75 to 80 percent and that "many of these repairs fall apart," in maybe just a year or five years later? Bengals finally invest megabucks of guaranteed money and now this?.

I just hope Dr. Rozmaryn (source of the quote) is a veterinarian and the doctor that actually did the procedure has a better prognosis.

Edit: Thanks for the link. Basically, Dr. Leo Rozmaryn is an orthopaedic surgeon at The Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics.
Reply/Quote
[Image: impressive-pitcher-chug-83800.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 08:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yeah, that was my analysis, the scapholunate ligament. Whatever the hell that is.

My lord, a success rate of just 75 to 80 percent and that "many of these repairs fall apart," in maybe just a year or five years later?  Bengals finally invest megabucks of guaranteed money and now this?.

Well, we did sign him for 5yrs so, hopefully we get the best of him before the warranty runs out.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 08:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=82a1493b1wo068bmhjh1oijqs7w...w.gif&ct=g]

Is that Michael's face when he has to report that he ran over Meredith? Kind of fitting, I hope.. Michael reporting: “The doctors tried their very best to save Meredith… [[long pause, everyone in shock]] . . . and they did.”
Reply/Quote
Conclusions: A majority (approximately 80%) of professional athletes return to competitive playing within 4 months of undergoing a scapholunate ligament reconstruction. Approximately two-thirds return to play at their preinjury level of competition.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 08:39 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Conclusions: A majority (approximately 80%) of professional athletes return to competitive playing within 4 months of undergoing a scapholunate ligament reconstruction. Approximately two-thirds return to play at their preinjury level of competition.

Is so, Burrow will certainly be a candidate for his second Comeback Player of the Year award.
Reply/Quote
Dr Graham worked for Kettering Health until April of this year so he already had a team relationship

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 08:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: impressive-pitcher-chug-83800.gif]

That is impressive.  Mellow

Thanks for the heads up KG and Big Ern with the conclusion. Hope this Doc rocks and Burrow comes back better than ever. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Well hopefully Tom Graham's surgery is better than the doctor who commented about it. For now I'm rooting for Browning to win the superbowl.
Reply/Quote
Merry Christmas
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 08:46 PM)pally Wrote: Dr Graham worked for Kettering Health until April of this year so he already had a team relationship

Dr. Graham is the also the one who did the Surgery on Bryson DeChambeau's wrist while he was working at Kettering Medical Center.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2023, 09:54 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: Dr. Graham is the also the one who did the Surgery on Bryson DeChambeau's wrist while he was working at Kettering Medical Center.

Never new Bryson worked at Kettering
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The literature on Joe Burrows injury sounds horrible, but I found a few professional athletes made full recoveries and continued playing at a high level.

I couldn’t find many examples of this injury in the NFL. Philip Lindsay tore his scapholunate ligament and rushed for 1,000 yards and 4.5 YPC the next year. Darrelle Revis came back from the same injury in his final season at the age of 32. He didn’t put up great numbers, but he was also old.

There are more examples in the NBA. Jaylen Brown suffered the same injury in early 2021. He made a full recovery the next season and put up a career high average in points the following year. Romeo Langford (2020) and Bojan Bogdanovic (2020) also made full recoveries from their surgeries. Bradley Beal, Olivier Sarr, and Kenrich Williams recently recovered from their injuries so the jury is out on them.

Isaiah Whitehead (2018) and Xavier Henry (2013) were of the NBA shortly after their scapholunate ligament recoveries, but it’s not clear that the injuries were the cause. Henry tore his achilles tendon the following year and Whitehead still plays professional basketball to this day. I’m not an NBA fan so I can’t give a detailed analysis on any of these players.

There’s no comprehensive list, so I’m sure there are more examples. Thankfully my research didn’t return as much doom and gloom as I expected. Anyone who tells you that Burrow is done based on their own personal experience with the injury is wrong. However, I couldn’t find quarterbacks who suffered this injury. Burrow’s comeback will be historic, but if anyone can do it - number 9 can.
Reply/Quote
Do people not grasp the concept of statistics?

I'm not worried in the slightest.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:13 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: The literature on Joe Burrows injury sounds horrible, but I found a few professional athletes made full recoveries and continued playing at a high level.  

I couldn’t find many examples of this injury in the NFL. Philip Lindsay tore his scapholunate ligament and rushed for 1,000 yards and 4.5 YPC the next year. Darrelle Revis  came back from the same injury in his final season at the age of 32. He didn’t put up great numbers, but he was also old.

There are more examples in the NBA. Jaylen Brown suffered the same injury in early 2021. He made a full recovery the next season and put up a career high average in points the following year. Romeo Langford (2020) and Bojan Bogdanovic (2020) also made full recoveries from their surgeries. Bradley Beal, Olivier Sarr, and Kenrich Williams recently recovered from their injuries so the jury is out on them.

Isaiah Whitehead (2018) and Xavier Henry (2013) were of the NBA shortly after their scapholunate ligament recoveries, but it’s not clear that the injuries were the cause. Henry tore his achilles tendon the following year and Whitehead still plays professional basketball to this day. I’m not an NBA fan so I can’t give a detailed analysis on any of these players.

There’s no comprehensive list, so I’m sure there are more examples. Thankfully my research didn’t return as much doom and gloom as I expected. Anyone who tells you that Burrow is done based on their own personal experience with the injury is wrong. However, I couldn’t find quarterbacks who suffered this injury. Burrow’s comeback will be historic, but if anyone can do it - number 9 can.

This is great research, thanks for posting this. Joe is in a unique case where he has to not only take physical punishment but he has to throw the ball and put strain on his entire arm. Both Beal and Brown tore it in their left wrist but play right handed. However, Bojan tore his in his right wrist and plays right handed. He returned the next season and had a small dip in efficiency and points per game but was still a solid player. It's unfortunate that we don't really have any QBs to work with but this is good data.

For Beal, Sarr and Kenrich, I can provide an update. Beal is playing okay. He's definitely taken a step back but he is also struggling with some other injuries this year. He's playing like a high end bench player/average-ish starter. Both Sarr and Kenrich are rotational guys and are still holding down that role. They are solid when they get minutes. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do people not grasp the concept of statistics?

Do you not? A QB we just signed our souls away to for the next 5 years has a 20-25% chance of this not being a success. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do people not grasp the concept of statistics?

I appreciate your optimism brother, but I can also appreciate why people might have concerns.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 12:56 AM)TheFan Wrote: Do you not? A QB we just signed our souls away to for the next 5 years has a 20-25% chance of this not being a success. 

You chipped in money to pay Burrow?
Reply/Quote