Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More extensions in the works
Per http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/17/11692854/bengals-working-on-extensions-for-2017-free-agents

Hobson is quoted as saying

" It’s believed they’re also working on extensions for other contract-year guys, such as running back Giovani Bernard and fullback Ryan Hewitt. Hewitt becomes a free agent after three years because he was undrafted.

They’d also like to get extensions for cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and right guard Kevin Zeitler, playing on their fifth-year options as 2012 first-round picks. "

I don't really want to see them extend kirkpatrick, but I am glad their working on Gio, Hewitt, and Zeitler.

Zeitler is making 8 million next year if they can't sign a contract. I would like to see that number taken down and add on them years. =)

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Still can't understand why people are so down on Dre. If the price is right you sign him. He's not the liability many of you make him out to be. Sure most 1st year starting corners struggle, and even more so those that are opposite a very good corner like Jones.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:07 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Still can't understand why people are so down on Dre. If the price is right you sign him. He's not the liability many of you make him out to be. Sure most 1st year starting corners struggle, and even more so those that are opposite a very good corner like Jones.

The issue is with "the price being right".  I haven't looked at the potential FA crop, but with his youth and starting on a great D, it takes one team to throw a substantial contract at him.  I'm not down on Dre, I'm just not sure why you'd sign him to the guaranteed money it would take to lock him up, or why he'd take less than that sort of deal form his perspective.  
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 03:39 AM)phil413 Wrote: The issue is with "the price being right".  I haven't looked at the potential FA crop, but with his youth and starting on a great D, it takes one team to throw a substantial contract at him.  I'm not down on Dre, I'm just not sure why you'd sign him to the guaranteed money it would take to lock him up, or why he'd take less than that sort of deal form his perspective.  

I don't get why other people are down on Dre, either, and I get what you're saying about the price being right, but I don't see another team throwing huge money at him to take him away from us.

With corners being so important with it being more of a passing league, I'd lock him up now so we don't risk him having a big year and demanding more money from us based off of a small sample size.

From his perspective, I think he signs for decent money and doesn't risk injury or having a bad season because he hasn't shown enough to have another team toss big money at him based off of his production so far.
Reply/Quote
Not sure why people are down on Dre? He was decent last year and can only get better
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
There were numerous occasions where Kirkpatrick came from the complete other side of the field to run a receiver down and save a touchdown. The guy is not the crap the people make him out to be. Sure, he gets picked on by QB's.....basically because they don't want to throw at Adam Jones.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:07 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Still can't understand why people are so down on Dre. If the price is right you sign him. He's not the liability many of you make him out to be. Sure most 1st year starting corners struggle, and even more so those that are opposite a very good corner like Jones.

You stunt the potential development of Shaw, WJIII, Dennard and CLH. Why do we keep drafting these CBs in the first if we are going to just sit them on the bench until a new contract rolls around? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 10:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: Per http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/17/11692854/bengals-working-on-extensions-for-2017-free-agents

" It’s believed they’re also working on extensions for other contract-year guys, such as running back Giovani Bernard and fullback Ryan Hewitt. Hewitt becomes a free agent after three years because he was undrafted.

They’d also like to get extensions for cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and right guard Kevin Zeitler, playing on their fifth-year options as 2012 first-round picks. "

I don't really want to see them extend kirkpatrick, but I am glad their working on Gio, Hewitt, and Zeitler.

Zeitler is making 8 million next year if they can't sign a contract.  I would like to see that number taken down and add on them years. =)

Zeitler should be the priority out of all the guys, however I think Gio will be the hardest to get signed.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 10:34 PM)Okeana Wrote: Per http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/17/11692854/bengals-working-on-extensions-for-2017-free-agents

Zeitler is making 8 million next year if they can't sign a contract.  I would like to see that number taken down and add on them years. =)

You mean 8 mil this year? as both Z and Dre are on their last years both 5th year options.. But extending them both possibly lowers this years cap hit as the option can be recended.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 08:53 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You stunt the potential development of Shaw, WJIII, Dennard and CLH. Why do we keep drafting these CBs in the first if we are going to just sit them on the bench until a new contract rolls around? 

DEPTH!!!!!! And quality Depth at that you can never have enough at CB

Signing Dre low term is a good idea. even if its at a 2nd CB level. and not a 1st
Reply/Quote
Glad to see them being proactive. I'd be happy if all of them were extended, but, I think Gio is the first priority.
Reply/Quote
To be honest, I'm not sure how smart it is to extend a RB. Depends on the price.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 09:48 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: DEPTH!!!!!! And quality Depth at that you can never have enough at CB

Signing Dre low term is a good idea. even if its at a 2nd CB level. and not a 1st

You don't, or at least you shouldn't, draft guys in the first round for depth.  You draft them to contribute and to play.  By sitting them on the bench for 3-4 years, you're basically losing the advantages of the current rookie pay scale... you're left wondering what exactly they can do while working on extensions or debating about picking up the fifth year option.
Reply/Quote

Tend to agree with you.  He played with a pretty bad shoulder last year which really messed up his tackling and fighting for the ball.  And he still only gave up one touchdown.

He still has those occasional episodes of looking too hard into the backfield - but even Iloka had one of those.   I think a healthy Dre will play well this year, the biggest concern being whether he can stay healthy or not.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 10:49 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You don't, or at least you shouldn't, draft guys in the first round for depth.  You draft them to contribute and to play.  By sitting them on the bench for 3-4 years, you're basically losing the advantages of the current rookie pay scale... you're left wondering what exactly they can do while working on extensions or debating about picking up the fifth year option.

When your a bad team I agree... We are not a bad team that needs the first rounders to contribute right away.

This is an old stigma from when we had to draft instant starters.  There wasn't very many spots that's would have provided value and a starter @24 for this club.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:15 PM)3wt Wrote: Tend to agree with you.  He played with a pretty bad shoulder last year which really messed up his tackling and fighting for the ball.  And he still only gave up one touchdown.

He still has those occasional episodes of looking too hard into the backfield - but even Iloka had one of those.   I think a healthy Dre will play well this year, the biggest concern being whether he can stay healthy or not.

Adam Jones is the one who only gave up one TD not Dre.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:15 PM)3wt Wrote: Tend to agree with you.  He played with a pretty bad shoulder last year which really messed up his tackling and fighting for the ball.  And he still only gave up one touchdown.

Agree with this.

It is odd because myself and Shady (I believe) were very outspoken about not wanting to draft this kid when many others had him mocked to Bengals. But both hushed after he became a Bengal and supported him.

Yet since then the kid has grown on me and believe he has a place on this defense. Would not break the bank to re-sign him but am fine with market value or a little less on extending his contract now.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 10:49 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You don't, or at least you shouldn't, draft guys in the first round for depth.  You draft them to contribute and to play.  By sitting them on the bench for 3-4 years, you're basically losing the advantages of the current rookie pay scale... you're left wondering what exactly they can do while working on extensions or debating about picking up the fifth year option.

I don't think they drafted WJIII for depth. I think they drafted him to replace Kirkpatrick. Plus we needed another corner. I don't know why people act like we have enough corners. We have an aging Adam Jones, a mediocre at best Kirkpatrick, and an unproven Dennard, and Shaw. We lost Hall during the off-season. Even if WJIII doesn't start this year they are planning on making him a starter not a depth pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 08:53 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You stunt the potential development of Shaw, WJIII, Dennard and CLH. Why do we keep drafting these CBs in the first if we are going to just sit them on the bench until a new contract rolls around? 

Exactly what I was going to post. They just signed Adam to a multi year deal. If they extend DreKirk, where does that leave WJ3? 

Again, exactly what I was going to say.  Smirk

Seriously though, you can't rationally justify spending 1st rounders on "depth" with no intentions of ever giving that player the full-time gig. What team does that? None.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 12:37 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't think they drafted WJIII for depth. I think they drafted him to replace Kirkpatrick. Plus we needed another corner. I don't know why people act like we have enough corners. We have an aging Adam Jones, a mediocre at best Kirkpatrick, and an unproven Dennard, and Shaw. We lost Hall during the off-season. Even if WJIII doesn't start this year they are planning on making him a starter not a depth pick.

Yup.  And we will draft another corner in 2 years as well.   Eventually they will extend the best one.     Dre will be done like Andre smith.   He can come back at the team's price or he can shop himself a better deal.   And they drafted for the ability to do that
Reply/Quote