Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morrison's who's up and down
(08-02-2021, 10:37 AM)pally Wrote: Since we have to rely on the media to inform us of camp performances more than ever this year...here is The Athletic's Jay Morrison's take on week 1.  It does include a few players of major interest

up

1)  WR Trent Taylor
2)  DE Khalid Kareem
3}  OG Xavier Su'a Filo- right now looks to be game 1 starter
4)  Markus Bailey
5)  Trey Hopkins

down

1} OG Jackson Carman  

2} WR Auden Tate
    in perspective, just not the camp MVP...has had a few drops

3}  DT Larry Ogunjobi
'     hasn't seen the field

4}  Austin Siebert
     again perspective, has made 13 of 15 kicks one of the misses being a 60 yard.  McPherson has made 14 of 15 missing only that 60 yarder (had enough length though}.  Siebert is doing enough to be signed to another team.  Of course, we still have to see them in a game

5] RB/WR Pooka Williams

Very encouraged that guys that could have been backup guards are stepping up.  Competition improves the breed and last year there was none. 

Ogunjobi is my biggest concern, given the importance of his position.  I can't help but think if Shelvin, Tupou/Wren step up big time, that Reader might be lining up at 3T.  

Khalid Kareem  has been a bit of a forgotten man for me, but glad to see the competition of Ossai and Sample arriving (as well as Hendrickson) have pushed him to be his best.  

High character guys rise in the face of competition....and we are seeing that across the board.  Coincidentally, it appears the much-maligned Darius Phillips has been his inconsistent self.  Coaches must know something there and never wanted to rely on him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:37 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Jackson Carman is garbage we all knew this we all knew the bengals can’t scout an olineman to save their life and here we are after burrow has destroyed his knee what have we done we brought in a second round rookie who should’ve always been drafted in the 4th and we signed an over the hill tackle in Riley Reiff to play a position he hasn’t played in years.  The bengals will always be bad because of this type of shit.  Run burrow.  Run

"We?"  Is there a mouse in your pocket?

The guy that had his college team in the playoff each and every year he started at LT is garbage?

The guy that cost himself a combine/pro day because he played through a herniated disc in his final 4 games to make a final push for a National Championship is garbage?  (Note:  He had already won one of them)

The guy that immediately accepted the move to guard (people forget this) and didn't cry "I'm a tackle" because they make more money is garbage?

Look, I get venting on here when you are pissed at the team, or some player.  But just because the first week of unpadded practices shows Carman 3rd on the depth chart doesn't mean he is garbage.  The guy has incredible speed for a man of his size, and is a road grader.  He will likely be in the league a very long time.  If you don't recall, Andrew Whitworth struggled mightily when he was first put at tackle...and he was 28 years old!  Carman, btw, is just 21 years old.  

Give the guy a chance.  If he doesn't show in the preseason and earn a starting position, you can hammer him and the pick in the middle of round 2 by saying any lineman taken there should be an immediate starter.  Fine.  Until then, patience, grasshopper.  Patience.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 02:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: "We?"  Is there a mouse in your pocket?

The guy that had his college team in the playoff each and every year he started at LT is garbage?

The guy that cost himself a combine/pro day because he played through a herniated disc in his final 4 games to make a final push for a National Championship is garbage?  (Note:  He had already won one of them)

The guy that immediately accepted the move to guard (people forget this) and didn't cry "I'm a tackle" because they make more money is garbage?

Look, I get venting on here when you are pissed at the team, or some player.  But just because the first week of unpadded practices shows Carman 3rd on the depth chart doesn't mean he is garbage.  The guy has incredible speed for a man of his size, and is a road grader.  He will likely be in the league a very long time.  If you don't recall, Andrew Whitworth struggled mightily when he was first put at tackle...and he was 28 years old!  Carman, btw, is just 21 years old.  

Give the guy a chance.  If he doesn't show in the preseason and earn a starting position, you can hammer him and the pick in the middle of round 2 by saying any lineman taken there should be an immediate starter.  Fine.  Until then, patience, grasshopper.  Patience.  

Well said, Racer. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:02 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: This reminds me of when Pete carrol passed the ball on the 1 yard line instead of giving it to lynch.

Russel Wilson forced the ball into tight coverage on 2nd down for no reason.  Swagger done lost him that game, not the playcall.  

Anywho, the best thing about Sewell going to the Lions is that there is virtually no chance we're going to have to watch him winning any meaningful games for at least 5 years.  If a real franchise took him I'd worry about the optics of the situation. 

Gotta feel for these guys, though...
[Image: 10130239.png?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,of...height=630]
Reply/Quote
Goodness...Early preseason before even hitting: don't get too excited at the fluff pieces, and the sky isn't falling if a rookie isn't starting yet.
Reply/Quote
Funny that Marvin needed to start those 1/2 round rookies but Carman not projected to start on one of worse lines from last year is oh not uncommon.. hmmm
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 04:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Funny that  Marvin needed to start those 1/2 round rookies but  Carman not projected to start on one of worse lines from last year is oh not uncommon.. hmmm

We dont have a good enough roster for 1st and 2nd rounders to sit a year so if thats a case it was a bad draft choice. in that respect  generally 1st and 2nd rounders need to see the field 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 02:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: "We?"  Is there a mouse in your pocket?

Well said brother. Great post. Rock On
Reply/Quote
It's good to hear about Kareem - Bledsoe seemed to have soundly outplayed him last year. 

We knew that Carman was a bit of a risk. We know that Spain/XSF are grizzled vets who have had stretches of solid to good play in the pros. A stint at backup might help him in the long run. Remember Clint Boling's career trajectory? 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 11:42 AM)kalibengal Wrote: The Carman pick was in many ways the barometer of this yrs draft class, because they  passed on the best OL prospect in a decade from what we we were hearing about Sewell. I hope he ends up a good pick but this is troubling.  

And how is Sewell doing thus far?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 01:21 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, I don't get his list.

AFAIR, he and PDJ were praising Tate earlier this week and he was getting a lot of love, but then he's on the players whose stock is down?

I don't get it.

I think the issue is there just isn't much to write about this early on. Every titbit is then magnified in the absence of any more substantial news.

FWIW Jay Morrison says Carman took the snaps with the firsts today.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:48 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I think the issue is there just isn't much to write about this early on. Every titbit is then magnified in the absence of any more substantial news.

FWIW Jay Morrison says Carman took the snaps with the firsts today.

Just to support your statement...

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 12:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Good thoughts.

The confusing thing for me has always been, once a player is a Bengal, I am his biggest fan to succeed. It is like hoping for cancer (i know it is a game), in this case a team cancer so Bengals lose. If Carmen pick ends up being very bad, we take a huge step backwards again.
You must have been thinking of those commercials for Cancer centers of America.. I remember thinking, Gee, i wish I could get cancer too..after watching them.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We dont have a good enough roster for 1st and 2nd rounders to sit a year so if thats a case it was a bad draft choice. in that respect  generally 1st and 2nd rounders need to see the field 

i tend to agree most of the time yes, but i that does not address my point.. so many people just went crazy when a high rounder did not start under Marvin or were already assigned as a backup.. seems a bit quite on that right now is all. 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 06:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: And how is Sewell doing thus far?

listed as starting Right tackle after moving over from LT in college... and your point is ??
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 07:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: listed as starting Right tackle after moving over from LT in college... and your point is ??

My point is that no games have been played
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 07:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i tend to agree most of the time yes, but i that does not address my point.. so many people just went crazy when a high rounder did not start under Marvin or were already assigned as a backup.. seems a bit quite on that right now is all. 

People are quiet about it because it was the first week of TC.  If it was week 1 and Carman hadn't been declared the starter, then more people would grouse about it, especially if the starter played poorly.  However most people saw this for what it always appeared to be after Carman was back with the 1st team today.  Pollack was making him earn it.  

There just seems to be a vocal group on this board that tries to twist everything into the OL being in trouble.  When they brought in Reiter for a look, it was "OMG, Hopkins is going to be PUP'd.  We should have blah, blah, blah".  That turned out to be nothing, too, as Trey was cleared for the first practice.  When Adeniji went down, it was "OMG, we need to sign a vet OT" even though he was firmly on the bubble from the get go.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 07:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: People are quiet about it because it was the first week of TC.  If it was week 1 and Carman hadn't been declared the starter, then more people would grouse about it, especially if the starter played poorly.  However most people saw this for what it always appeared to be after Carman was back with the 1st team today.  Pollack was making him earn it.  

There just seems to be a vocal group on this board that tries to twist everything into the OL being in trouble.  When they brought in Reiter for a look, it was "OMG, Hopkins is going to be PUP'd.  We should have blah, blah, blah".  That turned out to be nothing, too, as Trey was cleared for the first practice.  When Adeniji went down, it was "OMG, we need to sign a vet OT" even though he was firmly on the bubble from the get go.  

It’s hard to keep up with some of these guys. We draft a couple o-linemen in the mid to late rounds and they’re basically useless picks. A 6th round backup OT goes down and the sky is falling. Which is it? Are they valuable or not?

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 08:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s hard to keep up with some of these guys. We draft a couple o-linemen in the mid to late rounds and they’re basically useless picks. A 6th round backup OT goes down and the sky is falling. Which is it? Are they valuable or not?

You have to love the double standards.

The Bengals did nothing to help the OL in the draft besides drafting Carman because Day 3 picks apparently don't count.  

We need to run out and sign a quality vet T because Adeniji got hurt.  Of course, he was a 6th round pick last year and didn't play well.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen one of the #TeamChase people point out that the WR's struggled against our DB's in week one.  You could argue using the same logic as these OL alarmists that it proves the WR desperately needed help.  Of course, most of the #TeamChase people seem to realize that week 1 of TC doesn't mean a whole lot.
Reply/Quote
is Glasgow still around?
Reply/Quote