Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underrated backup QB we've had
(06-26-2021, 06:41 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: and really all that matters is how you finish.

This is ridiculous.  If he had not played so poorly earlier in the game then we would have won instead of lost.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 06:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Have you already forgotten about Daltons playoff performances? We would have been killed with Dalton in there.

Joe Flacco had a worse passer rating passer rating (46.5) over his first 5 playoff games than Andy Dalton (57.8)

Based on your logic Flacco could never have four straight 100+ rated games on the way to winning a Super Bowl in 2012.
Reply/Quote
Dalton
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is ridiculous.  If he had not played so poorly earlier in the game then we would have won instead of lost.

Remember the Colts game last season? If They would’ve played better at the end of the game they woulda won instead of lost. Playing well early in that one meant squat when Burrow threw a pick on the final drive. It’s how you finish that matters.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 08:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Remember the Colts game last season? If They would’ve played better at the end of the game they woulda won instead of lost. Playing well early in that one meant squat when Burrow threw a pick on the final drive. It’s how you finish that matters.

This is the most insane argument I have ever heard.

The score through the first three quarters does not even count?

What good does it do to win the 4th quarter 14-0 if you lose the first three quarters 35-0?
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Flacco had a worse passer rating passer rating (46.5) over his first 5 playoff games than Andy Dalton (57.8)

Based on your logic Flacco could never have four straight 100+ rated games on the way to winning a Super Bowl in 2012.

That's not how it works. Flacco's bad performances came in his first 2 years. After that, he got much better. 

Dalton never got better. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 08:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the most insane argument I have ever heard.

The score through the first three quarters does not even count?

What good does it do to win the 4th quarter 14-0 if you lose the first three quarters 35-0?

Your argument is the one that absurd. Any single game you can say “oh we should’ve played better earlier”. Every drive should be a TD but that’s not how the real thing goes.

I mean, clearly I’m talking about close games… the kind where a qb has a chance to put his team ahead late in the game. AJ Mcarron did that… he really performed better in the playoffs than both Dalton and Palmer when it counted. Neither of those starters played well or even came close to closing out a playoff game. Andy Dalton overthrew AJ against the Texans… McCarron threw a touchdown.
Reply/Quote
I'd have to agree with most that it's gotta be Fitz.

Kitna has to honorable mention.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 10:37 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I'd have to agree with most that it's gotta be Fitz.

Kitna has to honorable mention.

Jay Schroeder had a productive stretch of games but they were committed to Klingler.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 09:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not how it works. Flacco's bad performances came in his first 2 years. After that, he got much better. 

Dalton never got better. 

[Image: jon-ryan-seahawks-punter-tied-with-andy-...831280.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 02:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Stop it.

AJ McCarron the first 3 quarters vs the 30th ranked pass defense... 0 points, 1 INT, 3 Fumbles.

Meanwhile the defense faced the 4th scoring offense and held them to just 18 points. Of those 18 points... 3 points came off a McCarron INT, 3 points off a McCarron Fumble, and 3 points off a Hill Fumble. McCarron literally gave the Steelers 33% of their points and couldn't score a single 1 for 3 quarters against the third worst pass defense in the league.

Stop it.

Why do folks try to break down AJ's playoff game by quarters?

The dude had the best QB playoff rating of any Bengal since Boomer Easian in 1988.

We can all agree that AJ is a better playoff QB than Andy Dalton..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 09:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not how it works. Flacco's bad performances came in his first 2 years. After that, he got much better. 

Dalton never got better. 

So one QB can get better but another can't?

I fail to see your logic.

Which year is the cutoff for a QB getting better?  Post the stats to back up your position.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We can all agree that AJ is a better playoff QB than Andy Dalton..

No we can't.

I'll take 334 passing yards, 67.0 rating, and 26 rushing yards over 212 passing yds, 68.3 rating, 9 rushing yards any day.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do folks try to break down AJ's playoff game by quarters?

Why do people pretend that McCarron's performance the first three quarters never happened?
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 09:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Your argument is the one that absurd. Any single game you can say “oh we should’ve played better earlier”. Every drive should be a TD but that’s not how the real thing goes.

So "the real thing" does not include the entire game?

WTF
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 01:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No we can't.

I'll take 334 passing yards, 67.0 rating, and 26 rushing yards over 212 passing yds, 68.3 rating, 9 rushing yards any day.

Well nobody's ever accused you of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'll take the QB that had the better game
(06-27-2021, 01:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why do people pretend that McCarron's performance the first three quarters never happened?

2funny. Did all the playoff games that Andy played in happen? Seems I recently said AJ is a better playoff QB than Andy, but some dude feebly tried to bring up only the least terrible game of Andy's absolutely train wreck of a playoff career.  

All 4 of AJ's quarters happened. All 4 of Andy Dalton's playoff games happened. I'm not pretending anything didn't happen.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 02:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well nobody's ever accused you of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'll take the QB that had the better game

And that would be Dalton.  He outgained McCarron 360 to 221, had one fewer fumble, and almost identical passer rating (67.0 to 68.3)
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 02:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 2funny. Did all the playoff games that Andy played in happen? Seems I recently said AJ is a better playoff QB than Andy, but some dude feebly tried to bring up only the least terrible game of Andy's absolutely train wreck of a playoff career.  

Just comparing Dalton's best playoff game to McCarron's best.  What could be more fair than that.  

I would compare Dalton's other playoff games to McCarron's, but A.J. sucked too bad to ever even play in another postseason game.  

Funny how the same guy who discounts Dalton's 2015 season because of all the talent around him doesn't even consider that when trying to prop up McCarron playoff performance.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do folks try to break down AJ's playoff game by quarters?

The dude had the best QB playoff rating of any Bengal since Boomer Easian in 1988.

We can all agree that AJ is a better playoff QB than Andy Dalton..

Because if he was just mediocre or even sub-par for the first 3/4ths of the game (against the 30th ranked pass defense) it would have been an absolute blowout victory because the defense played amazing. Instead he was absolutely atrocious and gave the Steelers 6 points while scoring 0.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 01:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So one QB can get better but another can't?

I fail to see your logic.

Which year is the cutoff for a QB getting better?  Post the stats to back up your position.

Any QB "could" get better". Also, any QB "could" remain the same. QBs "could" even get worse.

There is no cutoff. You either do it or you don't. Flacco did. Dalton didn't. It's written in the annals of history.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote