Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mothership Article on Tyler Guyton
https://www.bengals.com/news/orlando-brown-mentoring-one-of-senior-bowl-big-men

Based on this article, Guyton will be high on the Bengals' board and the way his stock is rising, likely in play at #18.

The Cliff's Notes on the article is that Orlando Brown Jr (an Oklahoma alum) has been mentoring Guyton. On top of that, he's been working with Paul Alexander for the past couple of years, which will definitely boost his stock in the club's eyes. For his part, Guyton said that he thought the city was "beautiful" when OU played at UC and he likes Burrow, Chase, and the offense.

The club obviously has a need at RT with Jonah due to hit UFA and the stars seem to be aligning for OU RT.

Another snippet of interest for those wanting a RT in the 1st is Oregon State RT Taliese Fuaga, another potential 1st round target, started working with Alexander this year, as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/orlando-brown-mentoring-one-of-senior-bowl-big-men

Based on this article, Guyton will be high on the Bengals' board and the way his stock is rising, likely in play at #18.

The Cliff's Notes on the article is that Orlando Brown Jr (an Oklahoma alum) has been mentoring Guyton.  On top of that, he's been working with Paul Alexander for the past couple of years, which will definitely boost his stock in the club's eyes.  For his part, Guyton said that he thought the city was "beautiful" when OU played at UC and he likes Burrow, Chase, and the offense.

The club obviously has a need at RT with Jonah due to hit UFA and the stars seem to be aligning for OU RT.

Another snippet of interest for those wanting a RT in the 1st is Oregon State RT Taliese Fuaga, another potential 1st round target, started working with Alexander this year, as well.

FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah has Guyton as his 17th overall prospect. He does have 5 OTs ahead of him though.
https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

The way I see it, if Bengals are looking at RT in Rd 1, Fuaga, Latham, or Guyton might be good fits.

At least back in the Marvin days, you could place bets that the Bengals would draft someone they had reportedly met with leading up to Draft Day.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah has Guyton as his 17th overall prospect. He does have 5 OTs ahead of him though.
https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

The way I see it, if Bengals are looking at RT in Rd 1, Fuaga, Latham, or Guyton might be good fits.

At least back in the Marvin days, you could place bets that the Bengals would draft someone they had reportedly met with leading up to Draft Day.

Does that account for a run on QBs and all of the whacky associated trades involved with jumping up for a QB?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Does that account for a run on QBs and all of the whacky associated trades involved with jumping up for a QB?

It's prospect rankings, not predicted mock.
So no, it doesn't take into account teams reaching for certain players/positions and resulting in other players falling because of it.

One thing real interesting is DJ has Rome Odunze and Malik Nabers just ahead of Brock Bowers (8th overall).
4 pass catchers in DJ's Top 10.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Guyton will be garbage
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/orlando-brown-mentoring-one-of-senior-bowl-big-men

The Cliff's Notes on the article is that Orlando Brown Jr (an Oklahoma alum) has been mentoring Guyton.  On top of that, he's been working with Paul Alexander for the past couple of years, which will definitely boost his stock in the club's eyes.  For his part, Guyton said that he thought the city was "beautiful" when OU played at UC and he likes Burrow, Chase, and the offense.

I saw us taking Guyton in a mock today but it was in the second round. It was nine hours ago. Weird that he rose that far so quick.

I was shocked that they waited that long, but I'm just hoping we land a tackle at some point because I want to see Burrow in the NFL behind a solid line.
Reply/Quote
And it's worth repeating that we face Watt and Garrett each twice a year. Which, to me, probably puts OT ahead of DT in priority.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:50 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Guyton will be garbage

What makes you think so?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 07:33 PM)Goalpost Wrote: And it's worth repeating that we face Watt and Garrett each twice a year.   Which, to me, probably puts OT ahead of DT in priority.

The defense gave up rushing yardage at will to teams this season, the DT situation is equally if not more important than the RT situation.  Hell, they can sign a competent RT for less than $10M, signing a premiere NT is well North of $20M/per.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 06:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I saw us taking Guyton in a mock today but it was in the second round. It was nine hours ago. Weird that he rose that far so quick.

I was shocked that they waited that long, but I'm just hoping we land a tackle at some point because I want to see Burrow in the NFL behind a solid line.

I'm predicting he will.  He's looked really good at the Senior Bowl and was really seen as a traits based prospect, but he's been good in drills which should assuage rawness concerns.  He'll test through the roof at the combine and has one of the highest upsides in this T class.
Reply/Quote
Guyton could go top 10.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:50 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Guyton will be garbage

Well with analysis like this it’s hard to argue. Ninja

Reply/Quote
Outside of one snap, Guyton has looked great. Another thing about him that impressed the Sirius team on sight is his attitude. he says no one is more fired up to compete than him an he was shaking his opponent's hands before the reps during 1 on 1s. I'd love to have the kid at 18, but I doubt he'll be there
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
What are people's thoughts on gambling on a rookie to start on the OL in general?
Has the performance of the RTs the past few years made you think, "How much worse could it be?"
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 12:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What are people's thoughts on gambling on a rookie to start on the OL in general?
Has the performance of the RTs the past few years made you think, "How much worse could it be?"

Having a rookie start at any position is not ideal but OT is looking like the strength of the draft class especially mid to late first round RIGHT Tackles. JC Latham, Tyler Guyton, Taliese Fuaga, Amarius Mims.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 12:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What are people's thoughts on gambling on a rookie to start on the OL in general?

Reiff was solid, to be fair.  Not spectacular, but solid.

I'm normally very pro free agency for the OL.  However, this is a bad FA OT class.  The best you might get is a Jonah level stopgap for a year or two.  It's a very strong OT draft class, though.  

Another issue is that the current group's big weakness is lack of athletic ability across the board.  It's hampered us in the run game and frankly, we all saw how Jonah just didn't have the athletic ability to match up with freaks like Watt and Garrett twice a year.  There are a number of absolute freak OT's in this class, Guyton being one.  That athletic ability issue won't get fixed with 30+ year old stopgaps.  To improve they will have to have to replace expiring contracts with athletic draftees.  This year, the draft class aligns with the hole Jonah will leave.  If this was a bad T class, then I would be more for a stopgap option to get us through until there was a good class.  But this is the best class I've seen in forever. 

I think ultimately, they will FT Tee and re-up Reader.  They probably go after one of the top FA TE's and sign a cheap vet like Cody Ford to compete with Smith and Carman if the board doesn't fall right.  Based on history, if Higgins gets the tag, they will draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd(Bates-Hill, AJ-Higgins, MJ-Hunt).  RT will in all likelihood be the other pick, imo.  I do not think they will see NT as a big need if they resign/replace Reader.  We were 7th in run D in '21 and 5th in '22 with the exact same DL and LB's we fielded this year.  Lou stated that the turnover in the secondary really affected the LB play due to communication issues and that's logically what they will chalk up the run D struggles to, not the DL.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Having a rookie start at any position is not ideal but OT is looking like the strength of the draft class especially mid to late first round RIGHT Tackles. JC Latham, Tyler Guyton, Taliese Fuaga, Amarius Mims.

It definitely does, along with about 3-5 WRs, Brock Bowers, and Jer'Zhan Newton.
Those are my potential targets with the 18th pick.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 01:55 PM)Whatever Wrote:  
Another issue is that the current group's big weakness is lack of athletic ability across the board. 

This is what's always puzzled me...they originally wanted to run a wide zone, which requires the OL to be pretty athletic and block on the move.
But they (or Pollack) decided to get "glass eaters" who really weren't great athletic fits for the WZ.
They've had to try to adapt because the guys they brought in couldn't execute it well enough.

Seems to be a disconnect in what they want(ed) to execute and the guys they are finding/adding.

This is part of why I wanted Pollack gone.
Either change the scheme to fit the guys, or bring in better fits for the scheme you wanna run.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is what's always puzzled me...they originally wanted to run a wide zone, which requires the OL to be pretty athletic and block on the move.
But they (or Pollack) decided to get "glass eaters" who really weren't great athletic fits for the WZ.
They've had to try to adapt because the guys they brought in couldn't execute it well enough.

Seems to be a disconnect in what they want(ed) to execute and the guys they are finding/adding.

This is part of why I wanted Pollack gone.
Either change the scheme to fit the guys, or bring in better fits for the scheme you wanna run.

If that is what they still would like to do, then I would think that someone like Rosengarten would be the man for the job.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 02:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that is what they still would like to do, then I would think that someone like Rosengarten would be the man for the job.

I know that's what they tried doing the first couple years under Taylor, but they've definitely morphed it since then.

I think I just naturally don't like the style of offense that the Bengals run though.
I've always preferred more of a WCO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote