Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mt. Rushmore of Sports figures
from the state you live in.  Who would they be and why?  I got to thinking about this a few days ago because Zach Johnson recently won the British Open, and the local radio sports talking heads asked who would be on Iowa's Mt. Rushmore.  Here is a list of people they came up with from Iowa.

Dan Gable- a retired American Olympic wrestler and head coach. He is best known for his tenure as head coach at the University of Iowa where he won 15 NCAA team titles between 1976 and 1997. He is also famous for having only lost one match in his entire Iowa State University collegiate career – his last – and winning a gold medal at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany, while not giving up a single point.[/url]

Bob Feller- nicknamed "The Heater from Van Meter", "Bullet Bob", and "Rapid Robert", was an American [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball]baseball
pitcher who played 18 seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Cleveland Indians. Feller pitched from 1936 to 1941 and from 1945 to 1956, interrupted only by a four-year sojourn in the Navy. In a career spanning 570 games, Feller pitched 3,827 innings and posted a win–loss record of 266–162, with 279 complete games, 44 shutouts, and a 3.25 earned run average (ERA).

Nile Kinnick- was a student and a college football player at the University of Iowa. He won the 1939 Heisman Trophy and was a consensus All-American. He died during a training flight while serving as a United States Navy aviator in World War II. Kinnick was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951, and the University of Iowa renamed its football stadium Kinnick Stadium in his honor in 1972.

Shawn Johnson- a retired American artistic gymnast. She is the 2008 Olympic balance beam gold medalist and team, all-around and floor exercise silver medalist.

Kurt Warner- a former American football quarterback, a current part-time TV football analyst, and a philanthropist.[1] He played for three National Football League teams, the St. Louis Rams, the New York Giants, and the Arizona Cardinals. He was originally signed by the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent in 1994 after playing college football at Northern Iowa.[2] Warner went on to be considered the best undrafted NFL player of all time,[3] following a 12-year career regarded as one of the greatest stories in NFL history.

Zach Johnson- an American professional golfer who has 12 victories on the PGA Tour, including two major championships, the 2007 Masters and the 2015 Open Championship.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Pete Rose
Ken Griffey Jr.
Roger Staubach
LeBron James
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
My "state" is Ontario when we eventually amalgamate the two countries. I tried not to be too hockey-centric because lets face it...we could be here all day.

Wayne Gretzky
Originally from: Brantford, Ontario
How could a man nicknamed "The Great One" not be first on this list? He's the holder of almost every hockey scoring record, and is possibly the best hockey player to ever play the game.

Donovan Bailey
Originally from: Manchester, Jamaica; immigrated to Oakville, Ontario as a pre-teen
Former world record holder in the 100m sprint, Donovan Bailey won two gold medals for Canada at the 1996 Olympics, and was the first Canadian to run the 100m in under 10 seconds.

Bobby Orr
Originally from: Parry Sound, Ontario
One of the best defencemen to put on skates, Bobby Orr remains the only defenceman to win the NHL’s scoring title, and still holds the record for most points and assists in a season.

Ferguson "Fergie" Jenkins
Originally from: Chatham, Ontario
Canada might be known for its hockey players, but Ferguson Jenkins was the first Canadian to win the Cy Young Award, as well as the country's first Baseball Hall of Fame member.

Mike Weir
Originally from: Sarnia, Ontario
The only Canadian to ever win the Masters Tournament (in 2003), Mike Weir is the country's greatest golfer to date.

and even though he was not from Ontario this man was an inspiration to all and should be mentioned regardless.

Terry Fox
Originally from: Winnipeg, Manitoba
He's one of the most inspirational sports figures anywhere. Fox, missing one leg from cancer, vowed to run across Canada to raise funds for cancer research and treatment. He wasn’t able to complete his monumental run, but his memory serves as a lasting inspiration.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Pete Rose
Ken Griffey Jr.
Roger Staubach
LeBron James

Pretty much this. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Pete Rose
Ken Griffey Jr.
Roger Staubach
LeBron James

I didn't know Staubach was from Ohio? Interesting.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I didn't know Staubach was from Ohio?  Interesting.

should prove to be a pretty interesting thread Hawk, good idea.

I had no clue Warner was from Iowa.  for some reason i thought he went to University somewhere in the southwest?
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pretty much this. 

You could maybe make an argument for Jack Lambert, Charles Woodson, Cris Carter, or Jack Nicklaus as being #5, but I think the top 4 are pretty obvious.

Actually, a lot of people will say that Jesse Owens is #1. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I'm not 100 years old, so I don't remember the guy.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I didn't know Staubach was from Ohio?  Interesting.

Not just Ohio....but Cincinnati.

You could actually make an impressive list from the city with Rose, Griffey Jr, Staubach and Barry Larkin.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 05:33 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Not just Ohio....but Cincinnati.

You could actually make an impressive list from the city with Rose, Griffey Jr, Staubach and Barry Larkin.

Maybe you should make a Cincinnati Mt Rushmore and then an Ohio one as well. I can't see how you can leave off Jack Nicholas and Jesse Owens from any list.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:50 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: should prove to be a pretty interesting thread Hawk, good idea.

I had no clue Warner was from Iowa.  for some reason i thought he went to University somewhere in the southwest?

Warner went to the University of Northern Iowa. It's a DII school, or as the young kids these days call it an FCS school. Good football program though.

Reply/Quote
you want those that played in the state we live in or were born/Are from the state we live in?
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 05:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Maybe you should make a Cincinnati Mt Rushmore and then an Ohio one as well.  I can't see how you can leave off Jack Nicholas and Jesse Owens from any list.
I did, yo!

Cincinnati - Rose, Griffey Jr., Staubach, Larkin
Ohio - Rose, Griffey Jr., Staubach, LeBron

I don't see how you'd leave Pete Rose, Ken Griffey Jr., or LeBron James off of any list.  Maybe Roger Staubach....maybe, but not the first 3.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 04:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pretty much this. 

How about someone from Ohio State University?

Or maybe Paul Brown.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

He went to Turpin High school I believe My dad played against him
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 07:28 PM)EatonFan Wrote: How about someone from Ohio State University?  

Or maybe Paul Brown.

True that.

Ron Troyan, one of the best wrestlers ever
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 10:06 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: He went to Turpin High school I believe My dad played against him

He actually went to a catholic school Purcell, it used to be all all guys school that has since merged with an all girls catholic school Marian - Purcell Marian. My girlfriend went there as did her parents and I work with his great niece.

All his stuff is hung up pretty much right when you walk in.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 05:33 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Not just Ohio....but Cincinnati.

Other notables from Ohio-
Roger Clemons
Don Shula
Ben Roethlisberger
Russell Wilson - in the making
Reply/Quote
Muhammad Ali (we already win)

Paul Hornung

Jim Bunning

Pee Wee Reese
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Virginia MT Rushmore
Arthur Ash
Allen Iverson
Russell Wilson
Kam Chancellor
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
From Alaska

Mark Schlereth: 2 probowls, 3 time Superbowl champion
Curtis Schilling: 6 time All Star, 3 World series, 2001 world.series MVP
Lance Mackey: 4 time winner Yukon Quest (1000 mile dog sled race) 4 time winner Iditarod
Scott Gomez: 2 Stanley cups.

Not to many athletes from Alaska. These are the best could think of
Reply/Quote