Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple teams call about Gio
(03-26-2021, 09:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone who wants to keep Gio at $4.1 million salary in 2021, please never complain we don't pay guards enough. Gio is a back up RB who makes more than any starting guard on our roster. I like Gio, but I want the money used to fix the OL making Gio very expendable via trade or a cut if Gio refuses to restructure his deal like many other players are doing as they age and head into a tough cap year for teams.

The time to cut Gio and apply the cap savings to a starter quality IOL is in the rear view mirror. If they were going to do that it should have already been done.

Who are you going to sign now who doesn’t have some sort of age, injury, or ability question mark? Nobody.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Anyone who wants to keep Gio at $4.1 million salary in 2021, please never complain we don't pay guards enough. Gio is a back up RB who makes more than any starting guard on our roster. I like Gio, but I want the money used to fix the OL making Gio very expendable via trade or a cut if Gio refuses to restructure his deal like many other players are doing as they age and head into a tough cap year for teams.

What did Pats sign James White for in 2021? In my opinion, White is a good or better than Gio.

its not like his salary is stopping us from signing an OG     we have plenty of space at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: its not like his salary is stopping us from signing an OG     we have plenty of space at the moment.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: its not like his salary is stopping us from signing an OG     we have plenty of space at the moment.

and that falls on Duke and the Front Office.  For the people saying Mikey boy isnt involved anymore.

This is why it makes it look like he's still involved.  Ineptitude of the front office to fix issues that need taken care of urgently.

Could be that Duke and Zac both think there's plenty of talent on the OL and we dont need anymore additions.  

Neither one are going to answer that question so it's only a guess.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:49 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The time to cut Gio and apply the cap savings to a starter quality IOL is in the rear view mirror. If they were going to do that it should have already been done.

Who are you going to sign now who doesn’t have some sort of age, injury, or ability question mark? Nobody.

Use it for extension for Bates/Hubbard.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 10:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Use it for extension for Bates/Hubbard.

That makes sense, but I wouldn’t cut him until after Bates or Hubbard re-signs and Gio becomes a cap casualty.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 09:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Mixon should have been paid what many of us were either predicting or calling for; about 8-9 mil per.  10 mil and up and you got ripped off, especially when you locked him up early (usually results in some level of discount).

Here is what he gets paid each year under the deal

$14.3 million..2020
$ 5.4 million..2021
$ 8.7 million..2022
$10.1 million..2023
$10.3 million..2024

Five year $48.8 million.  Less than $10 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 09:38 AM)TJ528 Wrote: If his blocking was good we wouldnt need Gio in there on 3rd down to block to make sure JoeyB didnt end up on his ass.  

Mixon is a 2 down back.  1st and 2nd down.  Once you hit 3rd down, Taylor's offense is never going to keep Mixon on the field.

2 down backs dont command $12M when it comes to salary.  

There’s a big gap between “bad” and being as good as Gio at blocking. Mixon falls in the middle. He’s better than people give him credit for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon got his deal after a season where he was one of only three RBs in the league with back-to-back 1100 yard seasons.

Carson got his deal after a season where he was injured and only gained 681 yards.

Apples to oranges.

And Larry Fournette signed for just $2 million (2020) after rushing for over 1,000 yards 2 of the three years he was in the league. Has a nice Super Bowl ring as well.

Mixon is WAY overpaid regardless of his back to back 1,000 yard seasons. His salary could pay for 6 Larry Fournettes.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:11 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: And Larry Fournette signed for just $2 million (2020) after rushing for over 1,000 yards 2 of the three years he was in the league. Has a nice Super Bowl ring as well.

Mixon is WAY overpaid regardless of his back to back 1,000 yard seasons. His salary could pay for 6 Larry Fournettes.

It is Leonard Fournette, and he only rushed for 367 yards in 13 games last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:11 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: And Larry Fournette 

Good old Larry Fournette. #1/2

[Image: ti112606.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 10:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what he gets paid each year under the deal

$14.3 million..2020
$ 5.4 million..2021
$ 8.7 million..2022
$10.1 million..2023
$10.3 million..2024

Five year $48.8 million.  Less than $10 million per year.

2020 was already under contract, as it was part of his rookie deal. That's why the extension was set at 4 years, and not 5. (I think you know this)

The cost to extend to him (his market price and the cost moving forward) was set at 4 years 48 million dollars.

Here's how it breaks down in cap hits:

2021 ------------------------------------- 8.137
2022 ------------------------------------- 11.450
2023 ------------------------------------- 12.850
2024 --------------------------------------13.133
Bonus frontloaded onto 2020 --------- 2.43

Total -------------------------------------- 48 million dollars

You can see for yourself in here: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/joe-mixon-21789/
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 02:26 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals did just lock up Samaje Perine for 2 years.

This is what makes this possible, Gio is a great pass blocker and Samaje shown he can be too last year.

If we can free up some money while getting a pick to add an O-lineman I am for it even though I will miss Gio big time.
Reply/Quote
Time to get younger. Trade Gio while we can still get something for him. While Mixon was out, Gio was serviceable, but not great at RB. We can get younger, cheaper guys that can bring what he brought on the field. Where we will lose is what he brought to the locker room.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is Leonard Fournette, and he only rushed for 367 yards in 13 games last year.
That's too funny because Mixon only rushed for 428 yards last year. Don't give me the, "But he was injured" excuse. You already used that with your Carson contract excuse. You can't play both sides of the argument.

As you like to say, "It's apples and oranges." We are comparing pre-2020 contracts and stats. Your 20/20 hindsight doesn't count.

By the way, how did Larry do in the playoffs/Super Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 02:58 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: That's too funny because Mixon only rushed for 428 yards last year. Don't give me the, "But he was injured" excuse. You already used that with your Carson contract excuse. You can't play both sides of the argument.

As you like to say, "It's apples and oranges." We are comparing pre-2020 contracts and stats. Your 20/20 hindsight doesn't count.

I don't know what you don't understand about this.

Fournette had to settle for just $2 million because he is coming off a season with just 367 yards.

Mixon got his contract when he was coming off of back-to-back 1100 yard seasons.

The situations are totally different.  Apples-to-oranges.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fournette had to settle for just $2 million because he is coming off a season with just 367 yards.

Fwiw, he signed for 2.5 million last year (2020) coming off of 1,157 yards rushing, a 4.3 YPC, and 76 receptions for 522 yards in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what you don't understand about this.

Fournette had to settle for just $2 million because he is coming off a season with just 367 yards.

Mixon got his contract when he was coming off of back-to-back 1100 yard seasons.

The situations are totally different.  Apples-to-oranges.

Fred, you may want to check your sources. Fournette signed a $2 million contract in 2020 (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/leonard-fournette-21745/) after rushing for 1,152 yards in 2019 (https://www.nfl.com/players/leonard-fournette/stats/career). Get your apples and oranges straight.

By the way, he just signed today for $3.25 million after his 367 yard 2020 season. He also had 448 post season yards. Still a great deal for the Bucs.

Nice try.
Reply/Quote
WHAT ARE TEAMS OFFERING ?

Don't say teams have made offers. Trading baseball cards and offering somebody 3 nobody's for a Willie Mays collectors card is an offer, but not a good offer. People in Fantasy try to make offers like that, I'll give you 3 bums for your best player. Get out of here.

WHAT ARE TEAMS OFFERING ? Are they offering good draft picks or lousy draft picks ? It makes a difference.

Bengals will NOT trade Gio and get garbage in return. Now if a team steps up and makes an offer they can't refuse, that's different.

It all depends on what a team is willing to trade. So far, I haven't heard what a team is willing to trade. Neither has Bengals because Gio still here. Gio is going to be here unless some team that wants him sweetens the pot on a good deal for Bengals.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 03:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, he signed for 2.5 million last year (2020) coming off of 1,157 yards rushing, a 4.3 YPC, and 76 receptions for 522 yards in 2019.

Again, someone explain to Wes and me how Gio is worth 4.1 million and Fournette was worth 2.5 million in a normal cap year.

Gio is  2 million dollar back on high end

Gio versus Fournette closer than Mixon to him
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote