Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple teams call about Gio
(03-28-2021, 01:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not that I disagree with your post, but it's interesting to note that Fournette just signed for 1yr/$4m, compared to the 1yr/$4.1m that Gio will be making this year. Almost dead on.

Fwiw, his deal is for 3.25 mil and incentives can push it to 4.  Gio doesn't make 4.1 mil either, that's just what we would save by cutting him.  He actually makes 4.76.

Fournette is 5 years younger, 2 of his 4 seasons have been 1,000+ yards, and he has more TD's (23 vs 22.) despite playing in less than half the amount of games (49 vs. 115).

Also, and this is a very big one, look at this stat line from Fournette in the Super Bowl win...

16 carries, 89 yards rushing, 5.6 YPC, 1 rushing TD, 4 receptions for 46 yards, and 135 yards of total offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 09:31 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: See this is why I think the report of "multiple teams" calling for Gio is false or at the very least embellished.

Who would want to overpay for Gio's services?

Is this a ploy to convey his salary value to the general public/fans... by claiming that not just one team wants him but multiple teams do?

The flip side is if these so called multiple teams offered next to nothing for him they might be able to restructure his contract with some leverage.

Then keep him. What you say makes sense to me.

Hope we can restructure his contract even if we never do that kind of thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:45 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Exactly, GB brings value as a change-of-pace runner, receiver and pass protector.

What frustrates me is the FO complete lack of foresight.  Do what every other team does: sign him to an extension and bring his cap number down. He’s worth it.

Most don't realize that Gio has a higher yards per touch, than Joe Mixon.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 02:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Most don't realize that Gio has a higher yards per touch, than Joe Mixon.  

I still wonder why they don't use Mixon in the passing game and have Gio in the blocking game....
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 10:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still wonder why they don't use Mixon in the passing game and have Gio in the blocking game....

They do, it's just that Gio has better move to juke and get YAC, and more short area focus to get those blocks.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 10:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They do, it's just that Gio has better move to juke and get YAC, and more short area focus to get those blocks.

When I watch both I find that a little hard to believe brother...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 10:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When I watch both I find that a little hard to believe brother...

The stats don't lie. Yes, Gio sometimes gets bottled up in the backfield on runs, but in space he makes people miss.  His yards per touch is higher than Joe Mixon's.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The stats don't lie. Yes, Gio sometimes gets bottled up in the backfield on runs, but in space he makes people miss.  His yards per touch is higher than Joe Mixon's.

Thanks on this, I am still waiting on Mixon's greatness, we will see if it happens. Hopefully so...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 09:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because the guy is worth it, he earned that contract by being an excellent personal protector for the QB and is 9th on the team's All Time Receiving list.

Did you know that he does that on 12% of total pass attempts?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Did you know that he does that on 12% of total pass attempts?

Rfaulk, you are getting a bit too PFFiffy for me...
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 12:12 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rfaulk, you are getting a bit too PFFiffy for me...

They got numbers. I like numbers.

Actually, i went to the Bengals page to get total pass attempts and then got Gio's passblock numbers from PFF and came up with the percentage. It's what i do most of the time, take the numbers and try and find a new/different way to present them. Like the Pressures per snap and Hit % that i posted recently. They don't have things like that already made up, i have to take the time to do it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 12:23 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They got numbers. I like numbers.

Actually, i went to the Bengals page to get total pass attempts and then got Gio's passblock numbers from PFF and came up with the percentage. It's what i do most of the time, take the numbers and try and find a new/different way to present them. Like the Pressures per snap and Hit % that i posted recently. They don't have things like that already made up, i have to take the time to do it.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Rock On
Reply/Quote
I usually go to Pro Football Statistics - better than PFF because they don't try to rate anything they just give the info.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They have 2 good, starting quality tackles, Hopkins is on track to be back early, they have at least 2 serviceable guards and it's highly likely they will get a potentially good guard in rd2 of the draft, if they don't take Sewell at #5OA. 

They're not desperate for Oline atm, like they were in the middle of last year. 

I'll semi agree with you on those points.  At this point last year the front office thought our offensive line was set.  

We needed no upgrades as what we had would work and be an average to above average OL.  

How'd that work out for us?  

I think our biggest issue is even with adding Reiff is yes we have some decent OG, but what happens if Jonah can't stay healthy?  What happens if Reiff goes down?  I mean Jonah hasnt played a full season yet due to health.  Reiff is 33/34 yo....and the low of averages if look at the injuries on our OL the past 3-4 years i feel like we are always having 2-3 people injured per season on that line.  

As far as Hopkins, he's okay.  If he was playing somewhere else then he'd be riding the pine and being their equivalent of Billy Price.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 05:33 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I'll semi agree with you on those points.  At this point last year the front office thought our offensive line was set.  

We needed no upgrades as what we had would work and be an average to above average OL.  

How'd that work out for us?  

I think our biggest issue is even with adding Reiff is yes we have some decent OG, but what happens if Jonah can't stay healthy?  What happens if Reiff goes down?  I mean Jonah hasnt played a full season yet due to health.  Reiff is 33/34 yo....and the low of averages if look at the injuries on our OL the past 3-4 years i feel like we are always having 2-3 people injured per season on that line.  

As far as Hopkins, he's okay.  If he was playing somewhere else then he'd be riding the pine and being their equivalent of Billy Price.  

Hopkins doesn't really seem to jump off the page but his numbers are good, and that's with some pretty bad guys next to him. An upgrade would be welcome.

I agree about how short-sighted the FO was regarding the line last year. The only thing that's going to show they really know that it's important is to hit it twice out of their first three picks in the draft. They can't look at 'how much better' they were with Spain and XSF in there. They're ok but they need more. And they need to do that with the idea that Reiff is a one year stopgap. They still have a long way to go to imporve the line to where it needs to be. 

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 01:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: I usually go to Pro Football Statistics - better than PFF because they don't try to rate anything they just give the info.

This one???  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/

I use this for pretty much everything stat related now.  Their site is pretty amazing.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 11:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This one???  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/

I use this for pretty much everything stat related now.  Their site is pretty amazing.

Yep them! Don't know why I said Statistics. 
Reply/Quote
wonder if this will end up be some sort of draft day trade.

or now that teams know we are shopping him they will just wait so they can sign to a friendly contract
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wonder if this will end up be some sort of draft day trade.

or now that teams know we are shopping him they will just wait so they can sign to a friendly contract

I think Bengals are just waiting to make sure Mixon is 100% recovered.

With Trayveon still on his rookie contract I figured Gio was probably on his way out when they re-signed Perine.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wonder if this will end up be some sort of draft day trade.

Maybe wait for a rb injury come training camp. I don't see the need to trade him now with still having cap room and the potential signings (Kerrigan, Reed, Saints Dlineman I can't remember the name of right now etc) falling through. 

They may just keep him now that they don't need that extra cap room. This was probably a thing when they thought they had a shot at some of those players. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote