Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mundane, lifeless offense
When you watch the better teams in the NFL do you like me get the feeling that our offense is near lifeless with little to no innovation ?

Watch the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, hell even the Titans, Bears, Steelers. There's more motion, players motioning to one side then back, misdirections, all kinds of movement.

Perhaps it's just me but it seems like much like our D we stay basically in base offense and run the same 20 plays no matter what. We're stagnant, boring, easy to predict.

Which begs the question is in Lazor or Marvin ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We’ve seen much better offenses under Hue and Gruden...

It’s not all on Marvin.

Reply/Quote
Our offensive line is really bad.

We can't run the ball consistently. We have to throw really quick passes because they can't block. I'm not sure any OC could do much with that.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 11:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: When you watch the better teams in the NFL do you like me get the feeling that our offense is near lifeless with little to no innovation ?

Watch the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, hell even the Titans, Bears, Steelers. There's more motion, players motioning to one side then back, misdirections, all kinds of movement.

Perhaps it's just me but it seems like much like our D we stay basically in base offense and run the same 20 plays no matter what. We're stagnant, boring, easy to predict.

Which begs the question is in Lazor or Marvin ?

Our OL is bad, really bad winning the line of scrimmage. Remove Eifert and Green and our WR group is flat out weak. We look ad because horrid run blocking and can't trust the OL to give AD 3 to 4 seconds consistently
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yes I agree with OP completely. Was just tellin my buddy who is a diehard Bears fan in Chicago that I enjoy watching them because it’s a breath of fresh air watching their offense. I love the misdirections and unpredictable playcalling. Lot of bootlegs, misdirection, motions like you said.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:45 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Yes I agree with OP completely. Was just tellin my buddy who is a diehard Bears fan in Chicago that I enjoy watching them because it’s a breath of fresh air watching their offense. I love the misdirections and unpredictable playcalling. Lot of bootlegs, misdirection, motions like you said.

And the Bears changed coaches. Do you think you'd be seeing that if they kept Fox?
Reply/Quote
Nnnnnnope. I’ve been calling for Marv’s head for so many years this team has literally beaten me to a pulp.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And the Bears changed coaches. Do you think you'd be seeing that if they kept Fox?

The hot thing to do in the NFL these days seems to be ditching your old, defense-oriented HC for a young, offensive-oriented guy.  Jeff Fisher and John Fox were set aside and things have looked quite good for the Rams and Bears.  With that said, we're going from Marvin to Hue which is offense, at least.  I'll take it?  Who knows.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Our OL is bad, really bad winning the line of scrimmage. Remove Eifert and Green and our WR group is flat out weak. We look ad because horrid run blocking and can't trust the OL to give AD 3 to 4 seconds consistently

Tyler Boyd is the real deal.

But yeah... Both lines suck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I was hoping to see some more of that Driskell RPO
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The Chiefs, Bears, and Eagles are all part of the Andy Reid offensive coaching tree and Reid has always been a pretty solid offensive mind. McVay in LA is arguably one of the best offensive minds in football. Pats have always used a lot of motion to move their receiving corp of slot WR's around to stack them and pick them open.

Honestly, our offensive scheme is probably an average NFL scheme today. Nothing too fancy but it can get the job done when everything is clicking. When we do try some of the motioning stuff however it is funny because people here will call them gimmicks and pointless....if they don't work of course. A lot of that stuff is window dressing to hold defenders eyes, not even make big plays just hold them for later on similar motions. The reality is Hue was doing some of this stuff years ago with the Monster formation where he'd run lineman wide then motion everyone back in, a lot of people here thought it was stupid. The reality is that was a box check, based on numbers inside and out you could run the play or check out but either way ti made defenders think and travel which both tend to cause mistakes.

If you want an innovative offensive play caller, we have one on staff...
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offensive line is really bad.

We can't run the ball consistently. We have to throw really quick passes because they can't block. I'm not sure any OC could do much with that.

I get that and there's no doubt that's a big factor. But it still seems to me we're way to predictable !

I don't know ? Perhaps there's nothing we can do without a serious upgrade to the Oline ?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 11:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve seen much better offenses under Hue and Gruden...

It’s not all on Marvin.

This organization will never win anything,period. Just so out of touch with real football.Everyone needs to be fired and please start the backup qb,he is way way better than Dalton,who is just awlful. I have seen more than enough from him,he needs to go back to texas and never come back.Someone please fire MARVIN.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 10:25 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: This organization will never win anything,period. Just so out of touch with real football.Everyone needs to be fired and please start the backup qb,he is way way better than Dalton,who is just awlful. I have seen more than enough from him,he needs to go back to texas and never come back.Someone please fire MARVIN.

You sir are delusional.  It's hard enough to read your posts due to the obvious, but when you say start your backup QB who is way better than your starter (who btw has basically won you about every game this year by himself) it is apparent you have zero football acumen.
Reply/Quote
That's kind of what happens when the team is without Green, Eifert, Kroft, and Malone. Plus, the Bengals were not having success on the ground to compensate for those losses (only 16 touches for 48 yards, 3.0 YPC). By no means is Dalton bad, but he's not such an elite QB that he could put the game on his back with a bunch of backup receivers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 10:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: You sir are delusional.  It's hard enough to read your posts due to the obvious, but when you say start your backup QB who is way better than your starter (who btw has basically won you about every game this year by himself) it is apparent you have zero football acumen.

Umm...Andy has absolutely not won every game by himself. AJ, Boyd, and Mixon have all been big factors in most of our wins, and the defense pretty much won the Miami game.

Why do people have to exaggerate both ways? Either make our QB out to be better than he is, or much worse?

Reply/Quote
Does Lazor have any other play call on 2nd and long then running the ball right up the middle every 2nd 10 for no yards ? Just gotta throw in a shovel pass there and it would be the Bob Bratkowski offense. Still don’t understand why Mixon can’t play in the two minute offense outside of AJ he’s our best player on offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 11:17 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Does Lazor have any other play call on 2nd and long then running the ball right up the middle every 2nd 10 for no yards ? Just gotta throw in a shovel pass there and it would be the Bob Bratkowski offense. Still don’t understand why Mixon can’t play in the two minute offense outside of AJ he’s our best player on offense.

Because 3rd and 9 is so much easier to convert than 3 and 10.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The lack of Mixon touches is astounding. I still think there is some sort of recovery process taking place from the knee scope. Seems to disappear late in the game and show up on the injury report for knee issues. There is more to this story than Lazor just being a moron.

I believe someone mentioned the Bears offense earlier in this thread, or another thread. They sure do know how to make things work for them. No name receivers like Bellamy are performing in that system. Guys like Ross would thrive in a system like that. I'm a bit jealous! They also seem to know how to take two backs (Howard and Cohen) and get the most out of them. Lazor should by studying up on what they are doing.... for next season of course.
Reply/Quote
I would have given my left nut for Andy to have thrown to FRANKS or LENGUEL (Tightends) instead of CORE on that last play.
Reply/Quote