Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murphy
Murphy seemed to have a great practice recently pressuring our QB's. I am not sure if this because our OL stinks or Murphy is progressing.

I look forward to watching hm Saturday as he missed last week.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It's good to hear good news about Murphy

Hope he continues pressuring

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 07:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Murphy seemed to have a great practice recently pressuring our QB's. I am not sure if this because our OL stinks or Murphy is progressing.

I look forward to watching hm Saturday as he missed last week.

He’s been banged up but he’s working hard on some changes in his technique
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 08:57 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s been banged up but he’s working hard on some changes in his technique

Nice, that's what i want to hear most. 
We already know he has the athleticism and playing strength to over whelm, just needs to master more moves
Reply/Quote
I get the vibe from watching Murphy that he is more of a Sam Hubbard type than a Trey type. Nothing wrong with that especially when you play Nick Chubb and Lamar twice a year and have to contain Josh Allen in the AFC. Hopefully he can be a contributor right away to spell our starting DEs a bit and keep them fresh. The pass rushing moves can come with time.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 09:06 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Nice, that's what i want to hear most. 
We already know he has the athleticism and playing strength to over whelm, just needs to master more moves

Yes, this is good news with Murphy showing something and working on his technique and moves.

Like you said, he has the other things. He needs to get his discipline down as well. Trey can help him with this, same with Sam.

(08-24-2023, 10:37 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I get the vibe from watching Murphy that he is more of a Sam Hubbard type than a Trey type.  Nothing wrong with that especially when you play Nick Chubb and Lamar twice a year and have to contain Josh Allen in the AFC.  Hopefully he can be a contributor right away to spell our starting DEs a bit and keep them fresh.  The pass rushing moves can come with time.

I said it when we drafted him, I would rather have an End that is already good at stopping the run as a rookie than only a pass
rusher that has to try and learn how to stop the run because this is hard to do. MM has the physical tools to become a great pass
rusher in the NFL, like you said, it will just take some time.
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner's write-up on him after Washington:

DE Myles Murphy. He didn’t see a significant number of snaps Saturday. He missed last week with an illness, which left this game as a prime opportunity to create momentum for his role entering the season. Instead, he was hardly noticeable. That’s kind of been the case this month. You rarely see him making plays. Saturday was another example. There’s still plenty of time for the 21-year-old, and nobody is making any broad-brush statements, it’s just disappointing not to see more from the first-round pick.

Initially, I was fantasizing about the Bengals admitting they got this wrong, especially since Raymond Johnson III has balled out each preseason game. But Ossai's injury could make keeping both a non-issue.

I checked up on Andeike-Uzomah (the Chiefs first round pick) to compare and it looks like his stint in KC is similar to Murphy's here; but his stock is rising. Take that as you will.
Reply/Quote
He is still very inexperienced so hopefully he will improve.
The bad news is he did not dominate vs lesser competition liked you hoped he would. He needs to learn moves and how to use his athleticism.
The good news is that he is young, has the athletic ability and doesn’t have to be a starter this year. The guys in front of him will help him learn how to be better.

I do not miss the many seasons where the Bengals needed multiple rookies to start/contribute. Nice to have a very talented roster.
Reply/Quote
He’ll be a healthy scratch come GameDay and that will say all that needs to be said about the pick.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: He’ll be a healthy scratch come GameDay and that will say all that needs to be said about the pick.

I know he is 1st round pick, but due to our draft position closer to an early 2nd round pick. I hope our fans give him time to develop and not make him into the board whipping boy.

Yes, he did not shine against lesser competition, but did not play in game 2 due to illness. The guys he played against are still better than college players and are men versus young men.

I wish him great success.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:03 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: He is still very inexperienced so hopefully he will improve.
The bad news is he did not dominate vs lesser competition liked you hoped he would. He needs to learn moves and how to use his athleticism.
The good news is that he is young, has the athletic ability and doesn’t have to be a starter this year. The guys in front of him will help him learn how to be better.

I do not miss the many seasons where the Bengals needed multiple rookies to start/contribute.  Nice to have a very talented roster.

Damn rights, great post.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 12:33 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Paul Dehner's write-up on him after Washington:

DE Myles Murphy. He didn’t see a significant number of snaps Saturday. He missed last week with an illness, which left this game as a prime opportunity to create momentum for his role entering the season. Instead, he was hardly noticeable. That’s kind of been the case this month. You rarely see him making plays. Saturday was another example. There’s still plenty of time for the 21-year-old, and nobody is making any broad-brush statements, it’s just disappointing not to see more from the first-round pick.

Initially, I was fantasizing about the Bengals admitting they got this wrong, especially since Raymond Johnson III has balled out each preseason game. But Ossai's injury could make keeping both a non-issue.

I checked up on Andeike-Uzomah (the Chiefs first round pick) to compare and it looks like his stint in KC is similar to Murphy's here; but his stock is rising. Take that as you will.

Anudike-Uzomah is 25 pounds lighter I would expect him to be a better pass rusher, he has been nonexistent as well, but he has also been injured.  They are both 21 so there is learning to do, I will be surprised if Anudike-Uzomah has more splash plays than Murphy early on. 

Murphy seems to hesitate often, more a reactor than aggressive.  I wasnt big on the selection, I understood it, but I would not draft a more atheltic Hubbard in the 1st Round and we all knew that is what he is at this point. 

That said, any other player I liked would probably had been considered a reach.

I would have preferred LaPorta but we dont value the TE. 
My sneaky pick would have been Steve Avila, he is starting at guard for the Rams as a rookie and is also a great center.  He could have cleaned up our issues on the oline with him and LC as depth, assuming he didnt beat out Volson.  He is the type of player we need to jump on early in the draft to sustain the oline longterm.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 04:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know he is 1st round pick, but due to our draft position closer to an early 2nd round pick. I hope our fans give him time to develop and not make him into the board whipping boy.

Yes, he did not shine against lesser competition, but did not play in game 2 due to illness. The guys he played against are still better than college players and are men versus young men.

I wish him great success.

Absolutely. But he was still a first-round pick and thus will have that albatross around his neck if he doesn't pan out, particularly if some board favorites, such as TEs Sam LaPorta and Michael Mayer, turn out to be good. I think we all hope Murphy will turn out to be a great pick. Paul Dehner's comments (posted above) were a bit concerning.
Reply/Quote
Murphy looking like JAG all camp: Just A Guy

The UDFA DT Davis made more impact plays and flashed way more than Murphy has. So has Raymond Johnson
Reply/Quote
Murphy wouldn’t be the first to be immersed in learning technique. I’d expect he’s bogged down in that regard. It doesn’t matter how athletic you are in the NFL if you aren’t strong in your technique you are lost. I’d bet that’s the case.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 06:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Absolutely. But he was still a first-round pick and thus will have that albatross around his neck if he doesn't pan out, particularly if some board favorites, such as TEs Sam LaPorta and Michael Mayer, turn out to be good. I think we all hope Murphy will turn out to be a great pick. Paul Dehner's comments (posted above) were a bit concerning.

He seemed like a bit of a reach too. Way too early to know how he'll be though.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 10:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He seemed like a bit of a reach too. Way too early to know how he'll be though.

Huh? Every draft publication I saw had Murphy late 1st round...
Not sure why everyone is freaking out about Murphy's preseason, he's young and learning the ropes from one of the best. He was going to be part of a rotation.
Relax, he will be ready when it's his turn.
Reply/Quote
I saw someone compare Myles Murphy to Rashan Gary, and that feels rather accurate.
Incredible potential, probably won't see a big impact for a year or two.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 07:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Murphy wouldn’t be the first to be immersed in learning technique. I’d expect he’s bogged down in that regard. It doesn’t matter how athletic you are in the NFL if you aren’t strong in your technique you are lost. I’d bet that’s the case.

Not only technique. but adjusting to the whole NFL period. The speed, the freedom and the need for self discipline, etc. It takes some players a year or so around veterans to get it.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 12:19 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Huh? Every draft publication I saw had Murphy late 1st round...
Not sure why everyone is freaking out about Murphy's preseason, he's young and learning the ropes from one of the best. He was going to be part of a rotation.
Relax, he will be ready when it's his turn.

Exactly.
The Bengals had their top 3 edge in Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai.
Picking Murphy was to add some rotational depth but mainly plan for when Hendrickson eventually hits FA.

Could the Bengals have picked a DE on Day 2 instead? Sure.
But they got two good Day 2 picks who will (likely) contribute early, if not immediately.
Bengals probably got the edge with the most long-term potential remaining in the draft, but they don't need him to be a 7+ sack guy right out of the gate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote