Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must Win
The term like many others is thrown around a lot. But in my humble opinion this game is one.

This isn't going to come as a shock to anybody but this team (up to this point) has not been playing like a playoff team. And we've run out of places to hide. We simply can't drop 5 of our first 8 and have any reasonable expectation to make the dance.

The 3 teams we've beat have a combined record of 5 - 16 ! We very well could have lost the first one (Jets) and have not exactly set the world on fire against the other two. The numbers look good on the surface but the facts are we were very far away from firing on all cylinders in either of the other two.

Our defense will look good for a couple series then just totally break down making training camp type mistakes. Our offense has put up gash plays and looked great, then self destructs for the next two quarters ! And as it nearly always is it's several problems not just one or two.

Our game plans have to get better, our play calling has to get much better. Our RT HAS to get much better, as does our center. Our LBers have to ante up, our TE has to get on the field, our D -line has to get more pressure. To quote Marvin "we have to play much better" and right now.

Don't let the Cleveland game fool you. We should have blew them all the way out, 9 out of 10 times. If we don't come with our A game, and I don't even think we've had a C game yet. And we end up 3-5 this weekend. I don't think we've got the ability to dig outta that hole.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not a must win. Last week was a must win. We are 1 game out of first in the division and we play Pittsburgh again later in the year (which will probably be a must win). I know it seems like a must win, but in 2012 we were 3-5 and ended up 10-6. We still have a couple losses before there's anymore "must win" games.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:39 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Not a must win. Last week was a must win. We are 1 game out of first in the division and we play Pittsburgh again later in the year (which will probably be a must win). I know it seems like a must win, but in 2012 we were 3-5 and ended up 10-6. We still have a couple losses before there's anymore "must win" games.

This is what my incentives were on last weeks game.  If we did not win that game fold it up.  Nicely put shot calla!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:39 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Not a must win. Last week was a must win. We are 1 game out of first in the division and we play Pittsburgh again later in the year (which will probably be a must win). I know it seems like a must win, but in 2012 we were 3-5 and ended up 10-6. We still have a couple losses before there's anymore "must win" games.

I agree with Brownshoe, big game that would really help us cause it would get us to .500 but it is not a must.

Hope the team is thinking of it as a must win though.
Reply/Quote
Even though mathematically it is not a must, but feel the same that this is pretty much a must win.

Wish it was not in London though, because you never know how teams adjust to time difference and long travel.

Have seen some clunkers over seas for some reason or another. Have to avoid this somehow.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Must win maybe not the best term. But if we're going anywhere this season they have to start playing like a playoff team - period. That's my real point.

We have one of the better talent cores in the league, And we're not playing like it - at all. If we're going to make a real run at becoming one of the real players in the league with this core of players it's time to do it.

The window isn't going to stay open forever.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Must win maybe not the best term. But if we're going anywhere this season they have to start playing like a playoff team - period. That's my real point.

We have one of the better talent cores in the league, And we're not playing like it - at all. If we're going to make a real run at becoming one of the real players in the league with this core of players it's time to do it.

The window isn't going to stay open forever.

This team is still playing better than the 2012 team. We have lost to only 4 team's this season, and they all can be argued that each of those team's are in the top 5 or close to it. Plus 3 out of the 4 losses came on the road. Two of the 4 losses came without Burfict. All 4 of the losses came without Eifert.

This team is still one of the best teams in the league. We just have played the best teams while injured AND at their place. The team has had time to adjust and get healthy. We will go on a big run in the second half of the season. Especially when most of our opponents won't even come close to as good as some of our earlier opponents.

This is a big game. It will help us a lot if we win. But it's against a NFC team and we have an easy schedule the rest of the way. We will probably go 7-1 or 6-2 the last part of our schedule. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if we won out honestly.
Reply/Quote
Heading into the bye at 4-4 is a much better scenario than 3-5.  As we all know, Mediocre Marv has a penchant for coming out of the bye stale.  3-6, and things start to get ugly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
EVERY game they play is a must win until they are eliminated or make playoffs!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 02:49 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: EVERY game they play is a must win until they are eliminated or make playoffs!

So you're saying that playoff games aren't must wins? Is that you Marvin?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Yeah, but a coupla' more losses makes all of the remaining games "must win" games. They have a bye after this week. They need to treat it as a must win.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 02:01 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: This team is still playing better than the 2012 team. We have lost to only 4 team's this season, and they all can be argued that each of those team's are in the top 5 or close to it. Plus 3 out of the 4 losses came on the road. Two of the 4 losses came without Burfict. All 4 of the losses came without Eifert.

This team is still one of the best teams in the league. We just have played the best teams while injured AND at their place. The team has had time to adjust and get healthy. We will go on a big run in the second half of the season. Especially when most of our opponents won't even come close to as good as some of our earlier opponents.

This is a big game. It will help us a lot if we win. But it's against a NFC team and we have an easy schedule the rest of the way. We will probably go 7-1 or 6-2 the last part of our schedule. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if we won out honestly.

I like your thinking Brownshoe. Rock On

Wyche is right though about Marv after a bye, we seem to always come out of a bye looking sluggish.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like your thinking Brownshoe. Rock On

Wyche is right though about Marv after a bye, we seem to always come out of a bye looking sluggish.

Fortunately, in the Green Dalton era, the Bengals are 3-2 after the bye. One of those losses was @NE.

Won @Pitt last year off the bye to go 7-0.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Fortunately, in the Green Dalton era, the Bengals are 3-2 after the bye. One of those losses was @NE.

Won @Pitt last year off the bye to go 7-0.

Well, that's at least a little more encouraging....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think this team's only hope of going to the playoffs is by winning the division. It's doable, but that basically means going undefeated in the division the rest of the way.

I don't see a wildcard spot in the cards this year. Too many competitive teams vying for them.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I say it's a must win from a Fan's perspective.. Otherwise we'll have to deal with the loss for 2 weeks and a day when the Bengals play the Giants on MNF.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 02:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Heading into the bye at 4-4 is a much better scenario than 3-5.  As we all know, Mediocre Marv has a penchant for coming out of the bye stale.  3-6, and things start to get ugly.

If they can go into the bye week at .500 after the way this season started, it will be a big mental lift to this team.  As you say, Marvin's teams don't historically do well coming out of the bye, and 3-6 says the season is over.

Let's be real, this team has not looked like a playoff team at all this year. Winning two in a row, going into the bye feeling good about themselves, would be huge.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but, every team that has lost in London has failed to make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like your thinking Brownshoe. Rock On

Yeah, and this year, they have one EXTRA day out of the bye because they play the Monday Night game against the Giants instead of a Sunday game.
Reply/Quote
We probably have to go 7-2 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. This means 7 games are must wins. You pick them. If you want to talk tiebreakers, AFC wins are more important.
Reply/Quote