Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Coworker is CONVINCED
My coworker (a Philadelphia Eagles fan) is absolutely 110% convinced that Cam Newton is going to be the starting QB for the Bengals next year. Of course, he also thinks Burrow is going to pull an Eli, so his opinion is about as knowledgeable as a [someone not very knowledgeable].

Any other opinions or thoughts about the Bengals from fellow football fans that you know that root for other teams?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My coworker (a Philadelphia Eagles fan) is absolutely 110% convinced that Cam Newton is going to be the starting QB for the Bengals next year. Of course, he also thinks Burrow is going to pull an Eli, so his opinion is about as knowledgeable as a Bernie supporter.

Any other opinions or thoughts about the Bengals from fellow football fans that you know that root for other teams?

I'm not American and have no horse in this race, but did you REALLY need to take a political jab?

Only person talking to me about this is my dad (a Cowboys fan) and he thinks this is all bullshit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm not American and have no horse in this race, but did you REALLY need to take a political jab?

Only person talking to me about this is my dad (a Cowboys fan) and he thinks this is all bullshit.

In the USA political parties are pretty much like sports teams people blindly root for, so maybe it does fit.

As for the Burrow thing, if he has google or if he reads this message board he's probably freaking out a bit.  I mean, we haven't won a playoff game since our HC was in diapers (I assume ZT was still in diapers when he was 6) and before Burrow was even born.  It' scary stuff!  Even scarier than (politician I don't vote for) winning in 2020!
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In the USA political parties are pretty much like sports teams people blindly root for, so maybe it does fit.

As for the Burrow thing, if he has google or if he reads this message board he's probably freaking out a bit.  I mean, we haven't won a playoff game since our HC was in diapers (I assume ZT was still in diapers when he was 6) and before Burrow was even born.  It' scary stuff!  Even scarier than (politician I don't vote for) winning in 2020!

which means...… It wont be that hard to become a legend around here.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: My coworker (a Philadelphia Eagles fan) is absolutely 110% convinced that Cam Newton is going to be the starting QB for the Bengals next year. Of course, he also thinks Burrow is going to pull an Eli, so his opinion is about as knowledgeable as a Bernie supporter.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious  Bernie supporter...

Anyways,
MB is not that bad, he will stand pat and take Burrow.
Burrow has already said, he will happily play for whomever drafts him and I bet Burrow will be around longer than MB will.

MB is under super pressure to get this team in shape and turn it over to Katie. He's going to be forced to doing things outside of his normal modus operandi this year, and that means dipping in to Free Agency and going after players he wouldn't normally go for.
Reply/Quote
There is a post going around another message board I'm on about what the Bengals should do with the first pick. Some of the more respected insiders (including a former Bengal) weighed in and all agree they should either draft Chase Young or trade the pick for lots of picks. Their reasons were:

1- When drafting #1, you take the most sure thing. They all think Young will be an All-Pro/HOF type player.
2- They think you can get QBs at other places in the draft/free agency. They sited that only 1 QB drafted 1st overall in the last 20 years has won a Superbowl.
3- Just a year ago, Burrow wasn't thought of as a pro-prospect. His lack of success until this 'advanced age' scares them off. Said his ceiling is Andrew Luck but he could be another Mitch Trubisky - one year wonder.
4- Listed quite a few high drafted QBs that flamed out because of bad Offensive Lines. Said the Bengals line is horrible and they should build up the team first. Listed KC, SF, & Balt as teams with either 2 Pro-Bowl tackles or 2 1st round tackles starting on O-line.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: which means...… It wont be that hard to become a legend around here.

You'd think, but we have no ring of honor and other than Munoz who played for Paul Brown we seem to be lacking in players we honor and associate with.

Zero of the players from the 30 years of Mike Brown are legends around here, though we've forgiven Housh and Chad, so there is that.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You'd think, but we have no ring of honor and other than Munoz who played for Paul Brown we seem to be lacking in players we honor and associate with.

Zero of the players from the 30 years of Mike Brown are legends around here, though we've forgiven Housh and Chad, so there is that.

What? You mean Dan Coats isn't a living legend in Cincinnati? C'mon..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:38 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: There is a post going around another message board I'm on about what the Bengals should do with the first pick. Some of the more respected insiders  (including a former Bengal) weighed in and all agree they should either draft Chase Young or trade the pick for lots of picks. Their reasons were:

1- When drafting #1, you take the most sure thing. They all think Young will be an All-Pro/HOF type player.
2- They think you can get QBs at other places in the draft/free agency. They sited that only 1 QB drafted 1st overall in the last 20 years has won a Superbowl.
3- Just a year ago, Burrow wasn't thought of as a pro-prospect. His lack of success until this 'advanced age' scares them off. Said his ceiling is Andrew Luck but he could be another Mitch Trubisky - one year wonder.
4- Listed quite a few high drafted QBs that flamed out because of bad Offensive Lines. Said the Bengals line is horrible and they should build up the team first. Listed KC, SF, & Balt as teams with either 2 Pro-Bowl tackles or 2 1st round tackles starting on O-line.

No such thing as a "Sure thing" in the Draft.
I would be ok with taking Young, but what's the point? If we have no intent to take Burrow, then we best be trading back and getting as many picks as we can to rebuild the team.

But for all of their insider info, none of that matters, we're dealing with MB here. He will take his QB, fill the seats and be happy for the next 4-5 years.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:52 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No such thing as a "Sure thing" in the Draft.
I would be ok with taking Young, but what's the point? If we have no intent to take Burrow, then we best be trading back and getting as many picks as we can to rebuild the team.

But for all of their insider info, none of that matters, we're dealing with MB here. He will take his QB, fill the seats and be happy for the next 4-5 years.

MB and Duke are going to take Burrow and declare themselves "good GMs" until MB's candle runs out because of it.  
Reply/Quote
Your co-worker is on a bad strain of the Spanish Cheeba.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:52 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No such thing as a "Sure thing" in the Draft.

Sorry, 'most likely to be a sure thing'. 

I agree that I'd rather trade the pick than draft Young even though I think he'll be great in the NFL.

There'd be a very limited range of conversation on here if all we talked about is what MB would likely do versus what he should do. 
Reply/Quote
Even if the Panthers ended up with Burrow (to me, .002% chance)

There is 0% chance Cam Newton ends up here. If we move out of the pick, we will move out with a team that actually has some real pieces and picks to offer. I can't see much that the Panthers could offer that would entice the Bengals to make that move.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:09 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Sorry, 'most likely to be a sure thing'. 

I agree that I'd rather trade the pick than draft Young even though I think he'll be great in the NFL.

There'd be a very limited range of conversation on here if all we talked about is what MB would likely do versus what he should do. 

Well, we've all seen what he will do.  He wouldn't take a ransom for Akili Smith, there's no way in hell he's taking a ransom for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, we've all seen what he will do.  He wouldn't take a ransom for Akili Smith, there's no way in hell he's taking a ransom for Burrow.

Well, many people here swore that Mike Brown would NEVER use a first round pick on a TE or Guard until he did it.

Not saying what Mike will do with an offer for Burrow.  Just saying that the past does not always predict the future.
Reply/Quote
Both Cam and Andy are still under contract. Does your coworker think there will be a trade or does he think both those guys will get released?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:26 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm not American and have no horse in this race, but did you REALLY need to take a political jab?

No. But it's my God given right to freedom of speech, galdarnit, and I'll be gosh darned if I ain't gonna take advantage of it.

To be honest, my coworker can't stand Bernie. S'why I used him. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Cam and Andy are still under contract.  Does your coworker think there will be a trade or does he think both those guys will get released?

He thinks we trade for Cam and thinks we release Andy. Like I said, he doesn't know how the Bengals operate. I've tried to set him straight but he's absolutely convinced we're getting Cam.
Reply/Quote

well I mean we all wanted Cam to AJ   but I think that boat has sailed.
Reply/Quote

Your coworker, he crazy.
Reply/Quote