Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My cruddy mock/What I think they'll do
I don't spend as much time watching college as I used to, but I still like to try and do a mock every year. It's going to be bad, feel free to pick it apart. Trying to do something different this year, I'm picking who I think will be there and would take, then saying who I think the Bengals might actually take.

1- Kenny Clark, DT
[Image: 2079670.jpg]

Nope, not the best penetration. Not the best player at the position, or most polished. But that's what the guy lining up beside him will be for. Clark — who played nose in a 4-3 — is a former high school wrestler, second in team tackles last year (his junior year) and has played different spots. Athletic, but not so much so that he relies on it.

And it helps he's drawing comparisons to Peko, a guy who doesn't have the most flash but is a consistent player at the same spot.

Who I think they'll pick: Jaylon Smith. I don't think the injury talk will bother them that much. Marvin hasn't let it bother him in the past. He wants a dynamic LB, he'll take the risk.

2- Will Fuller, WR
[Image: 2082827.jpg]

He's a playmaker. Not the ideal size and he's not going to win any fights, but he can catch in traffic whenever he gets into it. Which isn't often, he's got great acceleration and good top end speed. He and Green would keep secondaries back, opening up running lanes and making Eifert even more effective.

Who I think they'll pick: Jalen Mills, CB. The position isn't that great this year. Regardless of free agency, Hall is nearly done and Jones can't play at the same level for too much longer. We've been building that position up, but still don't seem to have it set for the long haul.

3- Zack Sanchez, CB
[Image: 1996785.jpg]

As far as football acumen and playmaking, Sanchez may be one of the best at his position this year. His size(5'11", 185 lbs.) is less than ideal, but he makes up for it in talent. He's snagged 13 interceptions in two seasons, and 28 pass breakups in three.

His size means he won't be the best open field tackler, but he will drag a guy down or at least slow him down until someone else can finish it off. But his ability to make plays will make up for the occasional missed tackle.

Who I think they take: Sheldon Day, DT. He could be a good pickup, one of the "first round talent in the third" people keep talking about. 32 career TFL and 7 sacks. A three technique in a 4-3 he's a good fit, and he's good against the run or getting in the passer's face. [Here comes the but] But, had some injury problems in the past and he's not the biggest guy.

4- Nick Martin, C
[Image: 1893204.jpg]

Outside chance he lasts until late into the fourth, but it could happen given his injury history. If so, take him. Two year team captain, well liked by his team and a smart player. Brother of All Pro Zack Martin, so hopefully he makes a good adjustment to the NFL.

I've seen him mocked as high as the second. I don't think that's likely given the need versus the talent available at center this year. You've got 4-5 guys who should go somewhere in rounds 3-5. Martin is consistently in the middle of those guys. I'd consider taking him in the third.

Who I think they pick: Kyle Murphy, OT. Problem with a pre-combine injury, combines with questions over whether he will be strong enough to play OT has Murphy still around in the fourth. The Bengals will see it as a depth pick.

5- Jihad Ward, DE
Margus Hunt 2.0. Good size and measurables for the position, not a lot of production to show for it. But he's got potential, and that's what you're looking for in the fifth. With some coaching, he could move around the line or drop back a bit in a tweener role.

Who I think they'll pick:

Paul McRobert, WR. St. Louis native. Decent receiver with good size (6'2", 202 lbs). Two time team captain, well liked by coaches and fellow players. School record (it's SEMo, but so what) for receiving touchdowns. But what the Bengals will like? Serviceable at punt/kick returns, averaging 11.5 on punts and 19.5 on kicks.

6- Kris Frost, LB
Been moved around some and never settled into any spot in the scheme. But he's got good athleticism and size.

Who I think they pick: Geronimo Allison, WR. In a draft with a guy named Jihad, you'd think it would be hard to stand out on names alone. Welcome to Geronimo, the 6'3" receiver from Illinois. JUCO player, but had decent numbers in his two years at Illinois.

7- Adam Gotsis, DT
Developmental pick. Margus Hunt 3.0. Foreign player, but he did have good college numbers. An injury (ACL tear) won't have him going too high, and he might be around by the 7th.

Who I think they'll pick Stephen Weatherly, LB. 6'4", 270.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know never say never, but 0% Jaylon Smith goes in the first round. He may never play football again. This isn't Ced Ogbuehi having to sit out a year.
He has nerve damage.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 05:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I know never say never, but 0% Jaylon Smith goes in the first round.  He may never play football again. This isn't Ced Ogbuehi having to sit out a year.
He has nerve damage.

He's got another physical in April. Most teams are waiting until then to see if there's any progression. Depending on what you read, there's only a few teams completely writing him off at this point.

I wouldn't draft him in the first. But I didn't want to draft Ced with his injury in the first, either. To me, it's too high for a question mark. But unless his prognosis in April is worse, I could see the team taking a risk on him.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 06:10 PM)Benton Wrote: He's got another physical in April. Most teams are waiting until then to see if there's any progression. Depending on what you read, there's only a few teams completely writing him off at this point.

I wouldn't draft him in the first. But I didn't want to draft Ced with his injury in the first, either. To me, it's too high for a question mark. But unless his prognosis in April is worse, I could see the team taking a risk on him.

I just can't see it. Marcus Lattimore had the same problem and he went in the 4th. 

I don't think NFL teams will risk a top pick on a guy who may never actually be physically able to play another down of football. 

If this were just a blown ACL, sure. But it isn't. 
Reply/Quote
No way Fuller gets to our 2nd with that combine performance. Especially with how slow the rest of the wideouts were. I'd be incredibly happy if he does, but I'd put it at a 2% chance of happening right now.

And if we take "Nerve damage" Smith in the first I will throw everything I own at the TV. Great player, but the injury risk is way too high to waste a 1st rounder like that.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 07:52 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: No way Fuller gets to our 2nd with that combine performance. Especially with how slow the rest of the wideouts were. I'd be incredibly happy if he does, but I'd put it at a 2% chance of happening right now.

And if we take "Nerve damage" Smith in the first I will throw everything I own at the TV. Great player, but the injury risk is way too high to waste a 1st rounder like that.

you could be right on fuller. Mainly I'm thinking size and ND 's history with wr's (Floyd is the only one I can thinking of drafted in the first, and Tate is the only one I can think of drafted in the second) that will keep him there until mid- to late second.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 08:12 PM)Benton Wrote: you could be right on fuller. Mainly I'm thinking size and ND 's history with wr's (Floyd is the only one I can thinking of drafted in the first, and Tate is the only one I can think of drafted in the second) that will keep him there until mid- to late second.

Not to mention that tiny hands / Drops problem. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again but this dude just reminds me of Ted Ginn Jr. more than anything else. Similar size, people intrigued by the speed and drop issues. 

Risky pick as it probably falls one of two ways, either you get a DeSean Jackson type of player or you get a Ted Ginn Jr. type of player, my guess is he ends up being closer to Ginn, could easily fall to round 2 with all the issues he has unless the 40 time makes teams overlook other issues once again.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 08:20 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Not to mention that tiny hands / Drops problem. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again but this dude just reminds me of Ted Ginn Jr. more than anything else. Similar size, people intrigued by the speed and drop issues. 

Risky pick as it probably falls one of two ways, either you get a DeSean Jackson type of player or you get a Ted Ginn Jr. type of player, my guess is he ends up being closer to Ginn, could easily fall to round 2 with all the issues he has unless the 40 time makes teams overlook other issues once again.

Sounds about right.
People think he'll be TY Hilton or something but his hands...pure Tedd Ginn 
Reply/Quote
Somebody likes them some Golden Domers
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 08:20 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Not to mention that tiny hands / Drops problem. 

with the drop issue and size problems, I dont see a lot of times looking at him for a #1. His combine performance might change that for a few teams, but I've got to think teams are looking at him as a #2. And I don't see a lot of teams investing a 1st or high 2nd on receiver that wont be that consistent.

but i could be wrong. Fuller is a playmaker and some teams may look at issues and think they can work around them enough to pick him up early.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Somebody likes them some Golden Domers
LOL

I've never hidden that fact. I don't keep up with college, but I still watch just about every ND game.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 05:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I know never say never, but 0% Jaylon Smith goes in the first round.  He may never play football again. This isn't Ced Ogbuehi having to sit out a year.
He has nerve damage.

This.. Its sad because he would have been a solid linebacker, but now he may never see a professional snap.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I find it very hard to believe that Will Fuller lasts to our 2nd round pick.. He has assured himself as a first round/top of 2nd round pick from his combine. He showed explosiveness and speed and great hands in the combine, I may even consider taking him in 1st and going DT in 2nd.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2016, 07:31 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I just can't see it. Marcus Lattimore had the same problem and he went in the 4th. 

I don't think NFL teams will risk a top pick on a guy who may never actually be physically able to play another down of football. 

If this were just a blown ACL, sure. But it isn't. 

And now that Lattimore has not come back from his injury to contribute in the NFL, there likely will be teams that point to him and fear that Jaylon will follow the same path, completely taking him off their boards.

With Jaylon, you're looking at (at least) one year of being on IR, then another year likely of being a backup to get properly conditioned and back to his playing weight. If it's with the Bengals, he probably wouldn't become a starter until at least 2018.

I'm with you, Jaylon Smith in the first is WAAAAAY too much of a risk. I think anything earlier than a fourth is too much risk. If a team wants to take him that early, I hope it's not the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I compare the Smith injury more to Kenny Irons than Lattimore. If memory serves Lattimore had a history of knee injuries.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I compare the Smith injury more to Kenny Irons than Lattimore. If memory serves Lattimore had a history of knee injuries.

The number of injuries is fairly irrelevant given the nerve damage is the real issue. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 12:00 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I find it very hard to believe that Will Fuller lasts to our 2nd round pick.. He has assured himself as a first round/top of 2nd round pick from his combine. He showed explosiveness and speed and great hands in the combine, I may even consider taking him in 1st and going DT in 2nd.

it could be. To me there's too many Ted ginn comparisons (similar size, had great speed, but had drops and lots of body catching). I don't think he goes in the first. I'm thinking mid to late second.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:28 PM)Benton Wrote: it could be. To me there's too many Ted ginn comparisons (similar size, had great speed, but had drops and lots of body catching). I don't think he goes in the first. I'm thinking mid to late second.

Just draft Sterling Shepard in the 2nd and be done with it .
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:25 AM)Benton Wrote: LOL

I've never hidden that fact. I don't keep up with college, but I still watch just about every ND game.

Nothing wrong with that. 

Love my Cards but like going to South Bend when given the chance.

It is by far the best football experience at any level to attend live that I have experienced. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 03:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Nothing wrong with that. 

Love my Cards but like going to South Bend when given the chance.

It is by far the best football experience at any level to attend live that I have experienced. 

I grew up with Rockne's great-grandkids. Was impossible not to get interested in ND over the years.
Reply/Quote