Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My gut feeling...
We've had a really boring off-season outside of Zac Taylor. What's the only thing we could do in the draft that would make people forget whiffing on Jack Del Rio or that BW Webb was our biggest signing? Something that would get even casual fans talking about the Bengals?

A new QB.

Walter's latest mock has us taking Haskins, but this guy points out flaws in Haskins' game that are things Dalton critics have complained about for years. Namely, a mediocre deep ball and inaccuracy when his feet aren't set:

So if we go QB and Murray isn't an option, who do you guys prefer out of the rest?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 12:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We've had a really boring off-season outside of Zac Taylor. What's the only thing we could do in the draft that would make people forget whiffing on Jack Del Rio or that BW Webb was our biggest signing? Something that would get even casual fans talking about the Bengals?

A new QB.

Walter's latest mock has us taking Haskins, but this guy points out flaws in Haskins' game that are things Dalton critics have complained about for years. Namely, a mediocre deep ball and inaccuracy when his feet aren't set:

So if we go QB and Murray isn't an option, who do you guys prefer out of the rest?

TBH I don't know that the Bengals will really need to do anything to get people talking about them... if the Reds keep it up, Cincinnati sports fans will just naturally start looking forward to the next thing.

As for Haskins, it makes me nervous. I'm not as dead set against the idea of grabbing a QB as I have been in the past, but something about him just makes me feel uneasy. If ZT feels he's a perfect fit for what he wants to do on offense I'll differ to him, but as of now I don't like the pick.
Reply/Quote
I think if we go QB in the first it has to be Murray. He is way more talented then Haskins in my opinion. Great arm, accurate, rare talent running the ball, good pocket awareness. Kyler Murray reminds me of a faster Russell Wilson when he plays. I like Will Grier, Stidham or McSorley if we go QB later.

I know Murray didn't interview well but what i see on the field is impressive.

Not nearly as impressed by any of the other QB's in this class, it is a poor one for QB's.

I think we ought to wait a year on QB, next year is much better for QB's, Fromm and Herbert to name a couple.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 01:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: TBH I don't know that the Bengals will really need to do anything to get people talking about them... if the Reds keep it up, Cincinnati sports fans will just naturally start looking forward to the next thing.

As for Haskins, it makes me nervous. I'm not as dead set against the idea of grabbing a QB as I have been in the past, but something about him just makes me feel uneasy. If ZT feels he's a perfect fit for what he wants to do on offense I'll differ to him, but as of now I don't like the pick.

I'm talking about casuals...which comprise the majority of the fanbase. We did nothing during the off-season - outside of hiring Taylor - that would excite a fanbase...and after 3 straight losing seasons, you need more than that. We can't sell tickets on Zac Taylor alone.

Haskins doesn't look like a bad prospect by any means, but the weaknesses that have been talked about (medicore deep passing, inaccuracy when he doesn't set his feet) sound a lot like Dalton complaints.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If we draft a QB early I would hope it would be Grier from WV and I would hope we trade into the first from our second.

I really hope this doesn't happen though because Dalton is fine at QB and we're not far away from being a contender.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm seeing more mocks popping up with us taking Drew Lock at #11. Hell some have us trading up to #9 for him. I don't quite get it. Have we been linked to him at all during this process?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Stidham on day 2 is the best value.
Reply/Quote
I don't see QB in the first couple of rounds unless they trade down, or wait until the second round to take Daniel Jones.
Reply/Quote
I think Taylor's first pick will be a stud on defense unless Murray is there. I think the Bengals are targeting D. Jones from Duke in Second round. But If I were to pick, I pick Stidham in round 3-4 because I think he is going to be good.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have an odd feeling about the possibility of it being a QB as well. If Haskins fell, I think it could happen.

I like Haskins, but I feel like he'd be an automatic punt on the 2019 season. Dalton is going to start this year. Haskins would almost certainly need to sit. He's a nice quarterback, but he needs a good line to give him time to throw the football. This offensive line has a pretty good chance at being as bad or worse than it was last year if the guys in place are indeed the starters. The entire right side is still a dumpster fire of shitbags and retreads.

I would make no sense to invest in a guy like Haskins and have a couple of bums like Miller and Hart trying to keep him upright. They'd need time to build a better line and not get him killed in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 10:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I have an odd feeling about the possibility of it being a QB as well.  If Haskins fell, I think it could happen.  

I like Haskins, but I feel like he'd be an automatic punt on the 2019 season.  Dalton is going to start this year.  Haskins would almost certainly need to sit.  He's a nice quarterback, but he needs a good line to give him time to throw the football.  This offensive line has a pretty good chance at being as bad or worse than it was last year if the guys in place are indeed the starters.  The entire right side is still a dumpster fire of shitbags and retreads.  

I would make no sense to invest in a guy like Haskins and have a couple of bums like Miller and Hart trying to keep him upright.  They'd need time to build a better line and not get him killed in 2020.

I think if they do take a QB, Dalton will still start in 2019. It will be a Kitna/Palmer type of scenario. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 11:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think if they do take a QB, Dalton will still start in 2019. It will be a Kitna/Palmer type of scenario. 

Unless they trade Dalton during the draft.....
Reply/Quote
Here's a few reputable sources that say his arm strength is actually a strength of his, not a weakness. Just looking at his highlights you can see his deep throw has far more potential than Dalton's. That guy is just trying to find something to critique, which is fine. He missed some deep throws, everyone does. But his arm strength itself is a non-issue; in fact it's probably one of the best in this whole QB class.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019dhaskins.php

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dwayne-haskins?id=32194841-5328-5847-4bf1-f4c48a3a3bc6

Personally, my gut feeling is that if we pass on this guy we will regret it. From what I see, he has a very powerful arm and I would love to pair that with our receivers; I've always felt AJ's strength is what he can do down the field and Dalton has always held him back a bit; not to mention Dalton doesn't have what it takes to throw John Ross open. Haskins, however, found plenty of success throwing to speed receivers so maybe it's just a good fit.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 07:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Taylor's first pick will be a stud on defense unless Murray is there.  I think the Bengals are targeting D. Jones from Duke in Second round.  But If I were to pick, I pick Stidham in round 3-4 because I think he is going to be good.

Man I hope we don't end up with Daniel Jones, that would be the cherry on top of disappointments after the excitement of hiring a new coach.

Either get Murray / Haskins or wait a year to take a QB, simple as that for me.
Reply/Quote
Daniel Jones may be the best NFL QB in the class oddly enough. He's not the type who can carry an offense without a line in front of him, but his touch is impressive. He could be like a more athletic, smarter version of Phillip Rivers when all is said and done. 
Reply/Quote
I've said all along Haskins needed another year, he gets unsure of himself at times like he pointed out on the hitch patterns throwing late. But that just takes experience. I've watched him play nearly every snap he's had and I think while he needs some seasoning he's going to be a good NFL QB.

He may not be Jeff George on the long throws but he has plenty of arm strength.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 01:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: TBH I don't know that the Bengals will really need to do anything to get people talking about them... if the Reds keep it up, Cincinnati sports fans will just naturally start looking forward to the next thing.

The Reds and Bengals both need to be careful now. FC Cincinnati is a legit threat to take away fans. Reds and Bengals need to keep excitement if they want fans to show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 01:37 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Here's a few reputable sources that say his arm strength is actually a strength of his, not a weakness. Just looking at his highlights you can see his deep throw has far more potential than Dalton's. That guy is just trying to find something to critique, which is fine. He missed some deep throws, everyone does. But his arm strength itself is a non-issue; in fact it's probably one of the best in this whole QB class.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019dhaskins.php

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dwayne-haskins?id=32194841-5328-5847-4bf1-f4c48a3a3bc6

Personally, my gut feeling is that if we pass on this guy we will regret it. From what I see, he has a very powerful arm and I would love to pair that with our receivers; I've always felt AJ's strength is what he can do down the field and Dalton has always held him back a bit; not to mention Dalton doesn't have what it takes to throw John Ross open. Haskins, however, found plenty of success throwing to speed receivers so maybe it's just a good fit.

Arm strength actually has little to do with the deep ball (talking about 30+ yard throws - in the air). It's more about touch. The guy who does those film reviews does a very good, fair and thorough job from what I've seen. He doesn't just make up stuff to have something to be critical of. 

Here's a guy from bluechipscouting saying the same thing:

Quote:If there’s one general area he struggles, it is on bucket throws outside the numbers. In the first six games of film review, he hadn’t adequately placed a single traditional deep ball effectively. There seems to be a lack of confidence in his own abilities to do so, because he often threw downfield balls too flat, not allowing his pass-catchers to run under passes despite running wide open.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/articles/2019/1/9/breaking-down-haskins-a-critical-look-into-the-traits-of-this-years-qb1

This is an example of what he's talking about:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1082987905784705024
Reply/Quote
look guys this happens every year and the fact is these guys suck. This QB class is terrible and taking a QB in first over any of these stud Defensive players is a waste of a pick.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 12:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We've had a really boring off-season outside of Zac Taylor. What's the only thing we could do in the draft that would make people forget whiffing on Jack Del Rio or that BW Webb was our biggest signing? Something that would get even casual fans talking about the Bengals?

A new QB.

Well, I hope your gut feeling is just agita cuz I do not want to pass up on a defensive stud(and there will be at least one there) to take a QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote