Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My iPhone Is Acting Up- PLEASE HELP!
My iPhone is just flipping out sometimes and starts pressing all different parts of the screen when I'm not even touching it.

It's kind of like it does when there's water in the case, but I don't have a plastic case on it covering the screen.

Is there water in the actual phone? Is there a quick fix?

I do have insurance, so I can just get a new one, but I just don't want to go through switching everything over and losing some stuff. Maybe they found ways to transfer more since the last time I got a new one, but I just don't want to put up with it.

I also get the second dose of the vaccine tomorrow, so I'd like to have my phone handy while I'm feeling like shit for 32 hours (if I can even stay awake at all).

I appreciate any help!
Reply/Quote
Could be a problem with the screen. Have you used some chemicals to clean it that might have done something? Any recent drops on a hard surface? There is really no way to tell if there is water in your phone unless you did something that would get water in it. If you didn't drop it in water, take it in the shower or something like that then there is probably not water in it. As for replacing, your phone should be backed up to the iCloud automatically unless you turned backups off and if you want to you can also back it up manually to your computer.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/back-up-iphone-iph3ecf67d29/ios

I recently replaced my iPhone and didn't lose a thing. It installed the backup and it was just like the old one, pictures, apps etc.

Other than that you might try a hard reboot to see if that helps.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 10:41 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Could be a problem with the screen. Have you used some chemicals to clean it that might have done something?  Any recent drops on a hard surface? There is really no way to tell if there is water in your phone unless you did something that would get water in it.  If you didn't drop it in water, take it in the shower or something like that then there is probably not water in it.  As for replacing, your phone should be backed up to the iCloud automatically unless you turned backups off and if you want to you can also back it up manually to your computer.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/back-up-iphone-iph3ecf67d29/ios

I recently replaced my iPhone and didn't lose a thing.  It installed the backup and it was just like the old one, pictures, apps etc.

Other than that you might try a hard reboot to see if that helps.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

Thanks.  The forced restart won't delete anything, will it?  

I have dropped it a lot lately because I keep it charging on my computer table with the power outlet by my feet and, a lot of times when I back up, the cord will get hooked on part of my wheelchair and then gets pulled off and hits the floor.

I do appreciate it and I'll make sure it's all backed up.
Reply/Quote
Put it in some rice.
Reply/Quote
Get an android
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks.  The forced restart won't delete anything, will it?  

I have dropped it a lot lately because I keep it charging on my computer table with the power outlet by my feet and, a lot of times when I back up, the cord will get hooked on part of my wheelchair and then gets pulled off and hits the floor.

I do appreciate it and I'll make sure it's all backed up.

The drops could certainly be the source of your problem.

A forced restart should not result in any loss of data. It is really just a "turn it off and back on again" thing. It is usually suggested if the phone freezes up and you can't turn it off and restart it normally.  But sometimes it can also fix other glitches from my experience.  So it's worth a try just as an initial trouble shooting step.

There are other trouble shooting steps that are a little more involved.  For example you could also try resetting all your settings.  If you do this you will have to set them back to the options you had afterwards like your network settings, screen layout, privacy settings etc. Here are instructions for doing so.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/return-iphone-settings-to-their-defaults-iphea1c2fe48/ios

Note:  You will not want to choose the Erase All Content and Settings option as this will completely wipe your phone.

Then as noted there is the more involved option which is Erase All Content and Settings.  This will completely reset the phone back to factory and remove all data.  In this case you would want to make sure your phone is completely backed up either to iCloud or on your computer or preferably both.  You will want to make sure you are familiar with both backing up the phone and restoring from backup before doing so. 

Of course I'm not an iPhone technician I'm just sharing what I know about troubleshooting having used iPhones for many years.  I would suggest you contact Apple support especially before erasing all content and settings.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 01:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Get an android

BINGO!

Freaking fanboys Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The drops could certainly be the source of your problem.

A forced restart should not result in any loss of data. It is really just a "turn it off and back on again" thing. It is usually suggested if the phone freezes up and you can't turn it off and restart it normally.  But sometimes it can also fix other glitches from my experience.  So it's worth a try just as an initial trouble shooting step.

There are other trouble shooting steps that are a little more involved.  For example you could also try resetting all your settings.  If you do this you will have to set them back to the options you had afterwards like your network settings, screen layout, privacy settings etc. Here are instructions for doing so.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/return-iphone-settings-to-their-defaults-iphea1c2fe48/ios

Note:  You will not want to choose the Erase All Content and Settings option as this will completely wipe your phone.

Then as noted there is the more involved option which is Erase All Content and Settings.  This will completely reset the phone back to factory and remove all data.  In this case you would want to make sure your phone is completely backed up either to iCloud or on your computer or preferably both.  You will want to make sure you are familiar with both backing up the phone and restoring from backup before doing so. 

Of course I'm not an iPhone technician I'm just sharing what I know about troubleshooting having used iPhones for many years.  I would suggest you contact Apple support especially before erasing all content and settings.

I forget everything I did but it seems to be fine again, so thanks!
Reply/Quote
I know it sounds simplistic, but it is amazing how much can be corrected just by a shutdown/restart.

If Brad can't remember what he did then this was probably what fixed it.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 02:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I forget everything I did but it seems to be fine again, so thanks!

It’s acting up again.
Reply/Quote
By the way, I love when people make posts calling me stupid, especially when they don't even address me directly, and it turns out that what they're calling me stupid for not doing initially didn't even end up working!

That has to be humiliating!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 04:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It’s acting up again.

It could be due to the recent drops you mentioned.   My suggestion at this point would to contact Apple support and see if they can help. 

How old is your phone?  It could be if it is older and been dropped several times maybe time to get a new one.  But I'd contact Apple first just to see if they have suggestions better than mine. 

Also in regards to your chair accidentally catching on the charging cord if you have an iPhone that supports wireless charging you might want to look in to getting a wireless charger.  That way it can sit on the charger and as long as the power cord for the wireless charger is out of the way that should eliminate the problem.  I think iPhone 8 and above supports wireless charging.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:38 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: It could be due to the recent drops you mentioned.   My suggestion at this point would to contact Apple support and see if they can help. 

How old is your phone?  It could be if it is older and been dropped several times maybe time to get a new one.  But I'd contact Apple first just to see if they have suggestions better than mine. 

Also in regards to your chair accidentally catching on the charging cord if you have and iPhone that supports wireless charging you might want to look in to getting a wireless charger.  That way it can sit on the charger and as long as the power cord for the wireless charger is out of the way that should eliminate the problem.  I think anything iPhone 8 and above supports wireless charging.

I'm not even sure how old it is.  Like I said, new phone on the way and I'll just transfer everything and try and be more careful.  

I have an 8 Plus, so that could work.  My problem is that I always used to charge it using the outlet that's built into my nightstand next to my bed, but I spit a drink on that and it quit working, so I had to start using the outlet below my computer desk, which I'm obviously sitting at a lot.

I'll look into the wireless charger!  

THANKS!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 01:21 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Get an android

(03-15-2021, 12:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: BINGO!

Freaking fanboys Ninja

Came in here to say exactly this; it's amazing how much money Apple makes, with a consistently inferior product, inferior OS, CLOSED SOURCE (which is stupid) and their horrible business practices... and the worst interface known to man, that they STILL haven't changed in almost 15 years.

How the hell can you still not swipe words when texting OR HAVE A FRIGGIN' BACK BUTTON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Laughable.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 10:13 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Came in here to say exactly this; it's amazing how much money Apple makes, with a consistently inferior product, inferior OS, CLOSED SOURCE (which is stupid) and their horrible business practices... and the worst interface known to man, that they STILL haven't changed in almost 15 years.

How the hell can you still not swipe words when texting OR HAVE A FRIGGIN' BACK BUTTON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Laughable.

There is a back button and I don’t like the swipe words...... predictive text usually has the word I want in one or two key presses so it’s a lot faster than swiping would be.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 11:26 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: There is a back button and I don’t like the swipe words...... predictive text usually has the word I want in one or two key presses so it’s a lot faster than swiping would be.
I will say, Brad, you're right on the latter; it's a VERY personal preference.

But there isn't a back button on any iPhone Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 02:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I will say, Brad, you're right on the latter; it's a VERY personal preference.

Because it’s not really needed and you can go back on anything. I guess I didn’t understand that you meant an actual button on the phone.

My mistake..... you’re right ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 02:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I will say, Brad, you're right on the latter; it's a VERY personal preference.

Having never really used android what do you mean by a back button?  Go back to what?  iPhone apps do have a back you can click to go back within the app.  iPhone uses finger swipe for switching between apps or going to the home screen. For example on my iPhone 11 if I want to exit an app to the home screen I just swipe up and it takes me to the home screen.  If I want to switch between open apps I swipe up slower from the bottom of the screen and it shows all open apps I can then swipe through to select.  It's not hard to do but does take some getting used to if you are not familiar with it. Having used iPhone for some time I find it easy and quick to use.

But you are right it is a preference.  Some people prefer android some prefer iPhone and the topic of this thread wasn't "Should I use iPhone or Android?"  Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 03:16 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Having never really used android what do you mean by a back button?  Go back to what?  iPhone apps do have a back you can click to go back within the app.  iPhone uses finger swipe for switching between apps or going to the home screen. For example on my iPhone 11 if I want to exit an app to the home screen I just swipe up and it takes me to the home screen.  If I want to switch between open apps I swipe up slower from the bottom of the screen and it shows all open apps I can then swipe through to select.  It's not hard to do but does take some getting used to if you are not familiar with it.  Having used iPhone for some time I find it easy and quick to use.

But you are right it is a preference.  Some people prefer android some prefer iPhone and the topic of this thread wasn't "Should I use iPhone or Android?"  Big Grin

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Who the hell needs a "back" button?!

I will say that I just got a new iPhone 11 (I think) and I don't like how it doesn't have a home button where I can just press it or double press it to bring up every open ap.  The swipe up from the bottom thing isn't as easy for me and I also don't like how I have to press the side button to get it to even come on.

Maybe it will just take some getting used to.  

I'm still figuring it all out but I do like most things about it so far.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2021, 04:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's exactly what I was thinking!  Who the hell needs a "back" button?!

I will say that I just got a new iPhone 11 (I think) and I don't like how it doesn't have a home button where I can just press it or double press it to bring up every open ap.  The swipe up from the bottom thing isn't as easy for me and I also don't like how I have to press the side button to get it to even come on.

Maybe it will just take some getting used to.  

I'm still figuring it all out but I do like most things about it so far.

If it is an 11 you should not need to press the side button for it come on.  Just tap the screen and it should open.  That is unless you turned it off completely.  If you enabled faceID it will unlock when you look at it, swipe up to open to the home screen. You can also enable raise to wake if you have not already. That will wake your phone up when you raise it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208081

"To turn Raise to Wake on or off, go to Settings > Display & Brightness." Then toggle the raise to wake button on.

Edit: Also if you have difficulty with the touch features you might explore the accessibility options. Go to settings > accessibility > touch

There are several options there that might work better for you. Actually the accessibility options have a lot of different things that may be of help. I've not used them myself so can't really say if they will or will not.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote