Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Seeds
This is a conspiracy theory I can get behind.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-seeds-americans-mail-unsolicited/

Mystery seeds from China in the mail. USDA and multiple state agriculture officials saying don't plant them....

This is America, so we have some dumbasses who will do exactly the opposite of what the gov told them to do.

What are these?
Alien eggs?
Reply/Quote
They're either:
Covid plants
Or
Godzilla eggs

Seriously, though, I read about it and I'm hoping people don't plant then. Non native plants and animals can cause havoc on an ecosystem. Our sport fishing lakes we're almost destroyed by Asian Carp.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One potential explanation that I've heard are when online shops send out fake (and cheap) orders to boost their rating. They make a fake customer account, order an item from their own store to a random address, amazon's system sees that it was shipped and delivered (and therefor a "legitimate" order.) And then rate their own order as 5 stars.
Reply/Quote
This has been in the news in Virginia for a while and I just have to laugh at these people. Like, who gets an unsolicited package from a foreign country that contains seeds and goes "I know what to do! I'll plant these and see what happens!" There are some really stupid people in this world. If we could be certain that there weren't wide-reaching ill effects from planting these seeds, then I'd say let them plant them. Hopefully it would be a Darwinian effect.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
China would never let anything of harm spread from their country.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 02:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: China would never let anything of harm spread from their country.

Clever boy. Cool

There's a theory going around as well that the murder hornets were deliberately introduced into North America by China.  Honestly, I wouldn't put anything past them.  The Soviet Union had far more scruples that the CCP.  No, this is not implying they were good, just better than the CCP.
Reply/Quote
I once traded a Munoz autographed football for a pack of magic beans. Biggest beanstalks you ever did see! Bumper crop that year!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 04:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Clever boy. Cool

There's a theory going around as well that the murder hornets were deliberately introduced into North America by China.  Honestly, I wouldn't put anything past them.  The Soviet Union had far more scruples that the CCP.  No, this is not implying they were good, just better than the CCP.

I try to avoid conspiracy theories, but it always made me a bit curious that China seems to be manufacturing more and more synthetic narcotics that are making their way into American markets.  They are cheaper and often more potent, and from what I've heard, have replaced actual heroin to a large extent.  

It's highly likely that there are entrepreneur rogue chemists in China doing this to rake in money from overseas markets.  It's also not totally out of the realm of imagination that China is flooding the US with these drugs to damage us.  

As for the plants, I ordered bamboo seeds from actual China not long ago because I wanted a natural barrier in my backyard.  They had some interesting varieties on Amazon, and all came postmarked from either China or the Philippines.  After some reading, I decided against cultivation.  One reason was that they are mostly tropical varieties that are unlikely to survive in my zone 6 backyard.  Another is that bamboo is apparently hard as hell to grow from seed.  The main one is that the descriptions on the packages combine with my ability to identify the seeds themselves visually wasn't making me confident about the contents.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 07:38 PM)samhain Wrote:  

It's highly likely that there are entrepreneur rogue chemists in China doing this to rake in money from overseas markets.  It's also not totally out of the realm of imagination that China is flooding the US

[Image: _e882c104-18a3-11e9-b6e9-9c4bb39de67f.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 06:10 AM)Benton Wrote: They're either:
Covid plants
Or
Godzilla eggs

Seriously, though, I read about it and I'm hoping people don't plant then. Non native plants and animals can cause havoc on an ecosystem. Our sport fishing lakes we're almost destroyed by Asian Carp.

That’s racist. Godzilla is Japanese
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 07:57 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: That’s racist. Godzilla is Japanese

I know it's wrong and I understand the consequences, but if there were Godzilla eggs I'd be growing the shit out of them.  I'm just that guy.

It's not my responsibility to protect everyone else from my baby Godzillas.  My freedom does not end where your fear begins!!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 07:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This has been in the news in Virginia for a while and I just have to laugh at these people. Like, who gets an unsolicited package from a foreign country that contains seeds and goes "I know what to do! I'll plant these and see what happens!" There are some really stupid people in this world. If we could be certain that there weren't wide-reaching ill effects from planting these seeds, then I'd say let them plant them. Hopefully it would be a Darwinian effect.

We got a small box of balloons from China once. My daughter was all excited, but I had to burst her bubble. No way were we touching those.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 12:14 AM)samhain Wrote: I know it's wrong and I understand the consequences, but if there were Godzilla eggs I'd be growing the shit out of them.  I'm just that guy.

It's not my responsibility to protect everyone else from my baby Godzillas.  My freedom does not end where your fear begins!!

Don't let all the xenophobia throw you off.

My Japanese friends tell me baby Godzillas make very good pets for the first few years. Perfect watchdogs.

You want to get two of them though, so that they play with one another when you are not home.

[Image: OgkS4suBxm82-KrEiATTzYKUXAmhbznbv_9ac8Sy...NY4fHWRhaT]
Reply/Quote