Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA Boycott's
(08-28-2020, 03:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good list.  I'd add Adam Driver, who is the best actor of his generation in my opinion.  He was the only part of Disney Star Wars that was watchable.

Gah! Bad miss on my part.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 02:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just an aside since you mentioned the Celtics.

It's all good.  I'm from Pittsburgh and now in NW PA and folks in these parts either don't think about the NBA, consider liking the Cavs but it's Ohio so not so much, or they like the Celtics/Lakers/Bulls depending on your age.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's all good.  I'm from Pittsburgh and now in NW PA and folks in these parts either don't think about the NBA, consider liking the Cavs but it's Ohio so not so much, or they like the Celtics/Lakers/Bulls depending on your age.

Yep.  My friend has a brother 12 years younger than us.  Huge Bulls fan.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 03:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep.  My friend has a brother 12 years younger than us.  Huge Bulls fan.

I was living and working in Chicago about a decade ago and I had a co worker who was a Celtics fan because the Bulls didn't exist when he started watching.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, that narrows it down significantly as the majority of the top 100 actors were active in the 90s and earlier; that's like saying, "none of Coke/Pepsi's new products are as good as anything that was around in the 70s, 80s and 90s."

Yeah, great, but literally both companies have put out, what, 5 new flavours each, in the last 30 years?

Anyways, to try and open your mind a bit:

- Taron Edgerton (anything he's in is not bad, but Kingsman and Rocketman are the highlights).
- Ansel Elgort (I don't like ANYTHING he's been in lol, aside from Baby Driver, but he's an excellent actor. Baby Driver is a very good film).
- Chloe Grace Moretz (nothing she's been in has been a critical darling, but she's an excellent actress; has come a long way from her first few films).
- Andrew Garfield (has done a ton of things, with the Social Network and Hacksaw Ridge being the most-notable).
- Jessica Chastain/Bryce Dallas Howard (the lookalikes are also quite in demand and big, in 2020. The former does more serious roles, the latter does more enjoyable roles, but both are excellent actresses).

I'm not saying they are all world-beaters, but they can all stack up with the top 100 of those eras (maybe not Chloe lol).

I appreciate the list and will look into it, but the fact is in the 80's and 90's I didn't have to open my mind.  The mainstream action, war, crime, thrillers, and dramas were typically the best out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 09:28 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I appreciate the list and will look into it, but the fact is in the 80's and 90's I didn't have to open my mind.  The mainstream action, war, crime, thrillers, and dramas were typically the best out there.

Indeed; arguably the best decade for cinema for each and every genre, save for maybe Horror.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 10:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; arguably the best decade for cinema for each and every genre, save for maybe Horror.

I agree, and as I mentioned before, the horror movies these days are actually some of the best movies being made.  I guess that speaks volumes when the most typically bad genre of movie is the best of what is currently out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 10:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed; arguably the best decade for cinema for each and every genre, save for maybe Horror.

(08-28-2020, 11:35 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I agree, and as I mentioned before, the horror movies these days are actually some of the best movies being made.  I guess that speaks volumes when the most typically bad genre of movie is the best of what is currently out there.

Good horror is a rare thing, in my opinion, because it's such a personal thing. I think, ultimately, good horror comes along from time to time, but it would be difficult to pin down a 'best of' time.

Psycho (the Hitchcock  version). Was in the 60s.
The original Halloween (random 'burbs kid goes crazy.... just cause). 1970s
Nightmare on Elm Street (Englund was perfect in that role). 1980s
Scream (just the first one), with a few nice twists. 1997ish
Saw (just the first one), with a great twist. 2000ish
Cabin In the Woods (humor, horror, action) 2010ish
28 Days Later (redefining zombie movies as 'fear the people') was 2000ish
Reply/Quote
Guys this is an NBA Boycott thread in the Politcs forum. No talking about scary movies and having fun.

Also A Quiet Place just came out what 2 years ago.
Reply/Quote
Did somebody say 80s horror?!

[Image: 4da224f1f1f432d5956e6219e6e611f1.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 01:31 AM)Benton Wrote: Good horror is a rare thing, in my opinion, because it's such a personal thing. I think, ultimately, good horror comes along from time to time, but it would be difficult to pin down a 'best of' time.

First Alien too.

And The Thing with Kurt russell.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The next Generation.

(Sorr, saw post 29 AFTER I posted this.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 01:54 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Guys this is an NBA Boycott thread in the Politcs forum. No talking about scary movies and having fun.

Also A Quiet Place just came out what 2 years ago.

Here's something to tie it all together-

If the NBA, NFL, and MLB keep on pushing BLM, kneeling, and politics on fans, then they would be able to play their games in that movie and be safe.   Tongue
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 02:40 AM)Dill Wrote: First Alien too.

The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies. I’d personally rank it as the GOAT horror film with Alien somewhere nearby. The atmosphere of both movies is just incredible.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 02:40 AM)Dill Wrote: First Alien too.

(08-29-2020, 11:25 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies. I’d personally rank it as the GOAT horror film with Alien somewhere nearby. The atmosphere of both movies is just incredible.

Could not agree with both of you more.  The Thing with Kurt Russell is a master class in horror.  Constant uncertainty about who is who, for every character, the brilliant practical effects, the environment.  Perfection.  Alien really started a genre, my favorite Ridley Scott film after Blade Runner.
Reply/Quote
I saw this on my facebook feed.

[Image: 117933314_10157590909116367_986442089810...e=5F6F4321]
Reply/Quote
Clifford Robinson died yesterday or earlier today... He was from an era of better basketball. I'm protesting the non stop 3 point shooting of today's game... Booooooorrrrring.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 11:53 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Could not agree with both of you more.  The Thing with Kurt Russell is a master class in horror.  Constant uncertainty about who is who, for every character, the brilliant practical effects, the environment.  Perfection.  Alien really started a genre, my favorite Ridley Scott film after Blade Runner.

Bladerunner--not a horror film but one of the best sci fi flicks of all time.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 01:31 AM)Benton Wrote: Good horror is a rare thing, in my opinion, because it's such a personal thing. I think, ultimately, good horror comes along from time to time, but it would be difficult to pin down a 'best of' time.

I think the early Universal era is the golden age.  The characters became so prevalent that they evolved into clownish caricatures, but in their time, I have to imagine that they were pretty terrifying.  They practically built that studio, and the quality of the sets designed at the time was impressive.  

I watched the original Invisible Man awhile back, and it was a lot more unsettling that I thought it would be.

Not gonna lie, though, I'm a bit of a nostalgia sucker for those movies.
Reply/Quote
Hell I've been boycotting the NBA Playoffs and didn't even realize it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Going back to the NBA, they’ve gotten a bit too political for my taste after the Boycott and agreements. But it’s easy for me to stop watching since the Spurs sucked this year.
Reply/Quote