Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NFL Coach says Mahomes "flopped"
In an article titled, "NFL coach says Patrick Mahomes 'flopped' on late hit that set up game-winning field goal," the author states that "an NFL coach says Mahomes sold the hit in order to get the extra yards."

I think most of here acknowledge the call was the correct one. In fact, the second that Ossai hit Mahomes, I slammed my fist on the table and exclaimed to one of my sons, "Stupid, stupid play. That will be 15 yards."

Nonetheless, the author identified the problem of a billion-dollar league relying on part-time officials for major games.

"However, with some controversial officiating throughout the night, the call has come with some scrutiny not only among fans, but NFL coaches as well."

"That is what the owners want, $40 million skill players flopping on the ground," an NFC defensive coach told The Athletic, "drawing fouls from chemistry teachers, medical device salesmen and the like."

Of course, this is not just a problem with the NFL. I was listening to NY Sports Radio today mention how the NBA referee who didn't call the foul on LeBron James referred 20 Celtics games and the Celtics won 18 of those. It turns out his family are huge Celtics fans and unabashedly so. Take part-time officials and put them in Arrowhead with the decibel-breaking crowd screaming about every decision, and of course there is pressure on making calls against the Chiefs, such as the push in the back on the punt return. And who knows their own biases.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-coach-says-patrick-mahomes-flopped-late-hit-set-up-game-winning-field-goal
Reply/Quote
Correct call but he was overly dramatic. Looked like Ossai was trying to pull up. The kid was going full speed.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
It was actually more a feet clip than push. But still, need to be much smarter.

Reply/Quote
Don't like Mahomes and yes may have sold it a bit too much...but Ossai still ****** up.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 08:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It was actually more a feet clip than push. But still, need to be much smarter.

Doesn’t look near as bad here but if Mahomes flopped I don’t know how. Looks like Ossai tripped him accidentally

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
They call roughing on Burrow like they should have and this play doesn’t happen. Rigged nfl
Reply/Quote
We need to let this go. I would have wanted that called if it was Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We need to let this go. I would have wanted that called if it was Burrow.

Of course. And maybe Burrow should have dramatized falling down when he was hit late. I had zero problem with the late hit call.

But I thought the issue about the part-time officials was spot on. Billion-dollar industry with refs that have full time jobs working in high schools and middle schools and on farms and selling insurance, etc. Individuals who go back to those jobs on Monday. 

individuals who have more accountability to their employers outside of football.

And I think the loud and boisterous KC crowd influenced these officials. No reason not to call the obvious late hit on Burrow or the obvious push in the back on the punt return and a slew of offensive holding. There was a pass interference call on Hilton that the CBS expert on officiating, Gene Steratore, said never should have been called. A defender is allowed to make contact and Hilton's contact was minimal; he didn't twist the receiver at all.

In all, the Bengals were flagged 9 times, which was probably near their max penalties all year. The Chiefs were flagged only 4 time, below their season average. And overall, it is widely held that the officiating of that game was not a good look for the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:17 PM)Nepa Wrote: Of course. And maybe Burrow should have dramatized falling down when he was hit late. I had zero problem with the late hit call.

But I thought the issue about the part-time officials was spot on. Billion-dollar industry with refs that have full time jobs working in high schools and middle schools and on farms and selling insurance, etc. Individuals who go back to those jobs on Monday.

individuals who have more accountability to their employers outside of football.

And I think the loud and boisterous KC crowd influenced these officials. No reason not to call the obvious late hit on Burrow or the obvious push in the back on the punt return and a slew of offensive holding. There was a pass interference call on Hilton that the CBS expert on officiating, Gene Steratore, said never should have been called. A defender is allowed to make contact and Hilton's contact was minimal; he didn't twist the receiver at all.

In all, the Bengals were flagged 9 times, which was probably near their max penalties all year. The Chiefs were flagged only 4 time, below their season average. And overall, it is widely held that the officiating of that game was not a good look for the NFL.

That I completely agree with. It’s ridiculous. And one area the NFL is woefully behind all other sports.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:17 PM)Nepa Wrote: Of course. And maybe Burrow should have dramatized falling down when he was hit late. I had zero problem with the late hit call.

Of course the loud crowd influences officials. It's only human nature. We need to think about that when we're blowing games to shit teams to open the season. It'd be nice to play these games in Cincinnati for once.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If that was the first quarter ok but to end the game/ season on that play. Is utter horse shit and NFL knows it. Weak Call!
Still Ossai shouldn't have given the officials the opportunity to make the call.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
He probably did sell it, but it's nothing new for players to pull stunts like that. If he in fact did dramatize it, he should refrain from doing that again considering his ankle injury. Although it was definitely not smart to put hands on Mahomes when he was clearly out of bounds.

Either way, two great teams had a close game on Sunday and the Bengals are not going away anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
Of all the horrendous calls by the ref in this game, this call makes me the least mad.

Not hating on Ossai at all, it happens, but it deserved the flag as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Of all the horrendous calls by the ref in this game, this call makes me the least mad.

Agree.  Hard to argue with the call.  Sucks to see a game decided by a penalty like that.

This was a weird game to me.  In the playoffs, it seems like the refs tend to let more stuff slide to keep from interrupting the flow of the game.  Add to that the fact that the Bengals aren't a heavily penalized team, and it was strange to see the amount of flags flying.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:28 PM)jason Wrote: Of course the loud crowd influences officials. It's only human nature. We need to think about that when we're blowing games to shit teams to open the season. It'd be nice to play these games in Cincinnati for once.

Ron Torbert has a long history of favoring the home team...at least according to his stats.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Interesting about the crowd.....it certainly played a part in the immaculate DEception all those years ago.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We need to let this go. I would have wanted that called if it was Burrow.

Yep agreed.

Did he sell it? Maybe a little, I don't think it was egregious mind.

Should something like that even be a penalty? I don't think so tbh. It's a tough game, I don't know why you can't touch the QB. It isn't like Ossai pummelled him out of bounds. 

However, it is a penalty and the refs got this one right unfortunately. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Of all the horrendous calls by the ref in this game, this call makes me the least mad.

I was explaining to my friends last night it's not the calls that pissed me off, it was the non-calls on the other side. The late hit on Perine out of bounds. The body slam on Burrow. The late push on Burrow. The hands to the face. The holding on Mahome's scramble. I'm not a smart guy and my eyes aren't exactly top tier even with my glasses on, but even I could see that shit happen and knew that rules were being broken.

The one call that did piss me off with the PI on Hilton. Even before Gene said it shouldn't be called I knew it was a BS penalty. 
Reply/Quote
So, what was this then......

https://www.facebook.com/projectpat1/posts/10221996227127014
Reply/Quote
Even if he did, you still can't push him when both of his feet are in the white.
Reply/Quote