Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Jeremiah breaks down his Top 50.
(01-28-2021, 10:08 PM)Burreaux Wrote: Here's a likely scenario the Bengals could face. Let's say the Bengals address RT in free agency. Sewell and Chase are gone when pick 5 rolls around. Are fans okay with picking up Slater to sure up the interior? Let's say Lawrence, Wilson, Sewell, and Chase are off the board and WJ3 and Lawson sign deals elsewhere.

I would not draft Slater #5 with the intention of moving him inside. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would not draft Slater #5 with the intention of moving him inside. 

Ditto

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Pitts is my preferred luxury pick, but man I really don't think they would pick him. They would have to make the TE a focal point in the passing game, and I don't think Taylor has the creativity to do it.

My realistic expectation is Sewell, Chase, Slater, or Darrisaw. I could see Surtain or Farley if WJ3 leaves.

So, check this out. If you get a chance, go watch some All 22. I think you'll be surprised because i certainly was. 

After paying attention, i don't think Zac gets the credit he deserves for that. If you watch the first two games, when CJ was in, they lined him up all over the field; split wide left and right, in the slot, in-line, h-back and he ran routes from all those positions. The TE, when he was in, had ample opportunities for catches, it's just that the line rarely gave Burrow enough time to utilize him. 

After he went down, they didn't use Sample in nearly the same fashion. I think that's why people don't think the TE is an integral part of this offense. 

The Bengals were in many different formations, and they ran and passed out of the same formation different times. So there was no predictability to it. 

I think if they shore up the line and get a little bit of luck in the health department, this offense can be really explosive, if Burrow is given time to get in any kind of rhythm. He certainly didn't have any trouble utilizing Moss at LSU and how they were using CJ before he went out, was pretty eye opening. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 02:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sewell played RT in high school, so i doubt it would be an issue. Especially when there are so many top-notch EDs on the defensive left side now. 

This is what I would rather see as well.  I would rather have Jonah stay at LT and have Sewell at RT, but if I had my way we would get Chase in Rd 1 and our RT in Rd 2.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 09:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Slater's arms might be Joe Thomas short.

Sorta reminds me of Joe Burrow's small hands

Or Tyreek Hill's 8" hands, no way he can be a great receiver, he will drop everything!   Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2021, 12:25 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, check this out. If you get a chance, go watch some All 22. I think you'll be surprised because i certainly was. 

After paying attention, i don't think Zac gets the credit he deserves for that. If you watch the first two games, when CJ was in, they lined him up all over the field; split wide left and right, in the slot, in-line, h-back and he ran routes from all those positions. The TE, when he was in, had ample opportunities for catches, it's just that the line rarely gave Burrow enough time to utilize him. 

After he went down, they didn't use Sample in nearly the same fashion. I think that's why people don't think the TE is an integral part of this offense. 

The Bengals were in many different formations, and they ran and passed out of the same formation different times. So there was no predictability to it. 

I think if they shore up the line and get a little bit of luck in the health department, this offense can be really explosive, if Burrow is given time to get in any kind of rhythm. He certainly didn't have any trouble utilizing Moss at LSU and how they were using CJ before he went out, was pretty eye opening. 

They may. Maybe that would have been Uzomah, but Uzomah went down after just two games. In the two games he played, he went out for 68 receiving snaps.

When I look at the number of receiving snaps Sample went out for, it was 433 (15th most).
In those 433 receiving snaps, he only received 53 targets, catching 40 for a measly 349 yards.
Green, Higgins, and Boyd all had about 100 more receiving snaps than he did.
If we add Uzomah's receiving snaps to Sample's, you're looking at 501, which would have been 9th most in the NFL for TE.

Perhaps the problem though is Sample not being good enough to get more targets and more production even though he had the 15th most receiving snaps amongst all TEs.

I just looked at Tyler Higbee, as Higbee is the primary TE from the team Taylor came from, and Higbee was used on more pass blocking and run blocking attempts than Sample. He had about 50 less snaps as a receiver compared to Sample. However, Higbee got 60 targets, catching 44 for 521 yards and 5 TDs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 09:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Slater's arms might be Joe Thomas short.

Sorta reminds me of Joe Burrow's small hands

Joe Thomas has 33.75" arms.
If what Synric said is true, Slater could have an inch (or more) shorter than Thomas.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd guess he's be between 33" and 34", just like Jonah Williams.
Some teams prefer their OTs to have 34+".

I don't think there's a single OT in the NFL who has less than 33" arm length.
There may be one or two, but they would have to have crazy good technique and athleticism to compensate.

Fair enough. Hopefully, his arm length exceeds expectations. If they are 32 inches like some are predicting, I wouldn't be comfortable taking him at 5, maybe we could trade down if Sewell isn't there.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2021, 11:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They may. Maybe that would have been Uzomah, but Uzomah went down after just two games. In the two games he played, he went out for 68 receiving snaps.

When I look at the number of receiving snaps Sample went out for, it was 433 (15th most).
In those 433 receiving snaps, he only received 53 targets, catching 40 for a measly 349 yards.
Green, Higgins, and Boyd all had about 100 more receiving snaps than he did.
If we add Uzomah's receiving snaps to Sample's, you're looking at 501, which would have been 9th most in the NFL for TE.

Perhaps the problem though is Sample not being good enough to get more targets and more production even though he had the 15th most receiving snaps amongst all TEs.

I just looked at Tyler Higbee, as Higbee is the primary TE from the team Taylor came from, and Higbee was used on more pass blocking and run blocking attempts than Sample. He had about 50 less snaps as a receiver compared to Sample. However, Higbee got 60 targets, catching 44 for 521 yards and 5 TDs.

Yep. The opportunities are there. Most of what i saw with Sample was very basic, short stuff. CJ was much more varied in his routes...though, watching him, he didn't look to be a great route runner. 

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2021, 12:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Fair enough. Hopefully, his arm length exceeds expectations. If they are 32 inches like some are predicting, I wouldn't be comfortable taking him at 5, maybe we could trade down if Sewell isn't there.

I actually spent the time to look up arm length for the Top 30 OTs according to PFF. It's a blend of LTs and RTs, as PFF doesn't separate their position grades between LT and RT (at least not what I pay for).

Surprising to me, there actually is one OT in the Top 30 who has shorter than 33" arm length - Braden Smith.
Braden Smith plays RT for the Colts.

There is no LT (at least in the Top 30) who has shorter than 33" arm length.

It's worth noting that Braden Smith was labeled as an OG when drafted and played OG in college. The Colts took the chance to try him at RT.

There are 7 others who have between 33.0 and 33.875" arm length that are in PFF's top 30 performers at OT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 02:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think people really do need to prepare themselves for Sewell being there and the Bengals passing on him. To many reports of them doing Oline in FA and skill players in the draft. If i had to lay money down, i'd say they're wanting Pitts, Chase or another WR @5. 

'course, that's going to depend on them getting their T in FA. 

Would not be surprised at all for Chase.  But I also would not be upset with Pitts.  Then they go after Mayfield or Vera-Tucker.  Also, if Lapp is correct, and Bengals go for Moton, then it will open the draft a bit.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would not draft Slater #5 with the intention of moving him inside. 

I wouldn't either but what would you do in that scenario? Kyle Pitts and other offensive weapons are getting a lot of talk. I feel like Micah Parsons would be tempting if Sewell is gone. The Bengals had basically the worst rush defense in the league. They also had the fewest sacks in the league. Young talent is lacking on that side of the ball. The Bengals hasn't used a 1st round selection on defense since 2016 when they selected WJ3.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2021, 01:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually spent the time to look up arm length for the Top 30 OTs according to PFF. It's a blend of LTs and RTs, as PFF doesn't separate their position grades between LT and RT (at least not what I pay for).

Surprising to me, there actually is one OT in the Top 30 who has shorter than 33" arm length - Braden Smith.
Braden Smith plays RT for the Colts.

There is no LT (at least in the Top 30) who has shorter than 33" arm length.

It's worth noting that Braden Smith was labeled as an OG when drafted and played OG in college. The Colts took the chance to try him at RT.

There are 7 others who have between 33.0 and 33.875" arm length that are in PFF's top 30 performers at OT.

Sounds to me like Slater is  a OG or OC if his arms are that short then.
Reply/Quote