Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Projected Win Totals (before draft)
(03-31-2019, 10:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Saints had their best scoring game and 3rd best yardage game against us.
The Chiefs had their 2nd best scoring game and their best yardage game against us. 

Our offense was able to overcome 36 point (Falcons) and 34 point (Bucs) games early in the season, but by the time KC and NO rolled around, we didn't have the horses. Besides, you shouldn't have to hang 50+ to win. The offense has it's issues, but our defense was beyond atrocious last year. Offense is the only reason we had a 5-3 start last year. 

Agreed. The Packers won a Super Bowl with the most players on IR that year, and many of them were key players. 

We just didn't have the depth. We still don't.

Being totally honest, I don't think we lost last year because of Marvin. He proved that he could win with a solid roster, which is something we didn't have last year. It was just a good excuse to finally move on. 

I agree. I think our biggest issue was lack of talent on the roster. That's been the issue for the past 3 years. We've lost A LOT of players in free agency over the last 3-4 years.

Marvin gets exposed in the postseason. He's actually a pretty good regular season coach.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 06:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 100% healthy maybe not but losing your starting QB, #1 Wr, and top Edge Rusher in one season is tough to over come. 

Bengals were 5-6 with Dalton in 2018, and 5-4 with AJ Green.

People like to pretend that the 4-1 start was because of health, but the wheels fell off well after that 4-1 start.

Bengals got lucky that they got to face a rusty-armed Luck playing his first game in like 2 years. (Even then you had huge red flags, like Margus Hunt having a 2-sack game and how the Colts TEs ran wild on the Bengals D.)

Week 3 they allowed 31 points, Week 4 they allowed 36 points. 

Can we please put the "They were 4-1 when healthy! They just need to be healthy this year!" to rest already?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 10:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Being totally honest, I don't think we lost last year because of Marvin. He proved that he could win with a solid roster, which is something we didn't have last year. It was just a good excuse to finally move on. 

I put a caveat that Marvin could win with a solid roster so long as it wasn't the Steelers, a Primetime Game, or the Playoffs.

To which I say, you give a solid roster and remove all games of any significance or pressure to ANY head coach and they will win.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 07:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I put a caveat that Marvin could win with a solid roster so long as it wasn't the Steelers, a Primetime Game, or the Playoffs.

To which I say, you give a solid roster and remove all games of any significance or pressure to ANY head coach and they will win.

The 2015 Steelers meltdown was crazy. We played terrible for 3 quarters then had the lead late.

Hill fumbled. People blame Marvin for that? I don't know. Should he tell his back not to fumble? Would it matter?

Then the Burfict and Jones personnel fouls. Is that on the coach? Burfict has had many personnel fouls through his career. I think it's more having volatile players to begin with. Nobody was able to control those 2. Not Zimmer. Not anyone. You build a roster with guys with red flags and you get that type of thing.

That's the one thing - During Marvin's tenure the roster was built with talented guys, but some were castoffs from other teams due to legal issues or some type of red flag. It's hard to win when you have several of these types of guys.
Reply/Quote
Depending on the 2019 NFL draft, the Bengals will be competitive but in all honesty, this will be a smash mouth division and I see health of all teams will be an issue. I think the Bengals are going to be better than 6 wins this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:32 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Depending on the 2019 NFL draft, the Bengals will be competitive but in all honesty, this will be a smash mouth division and I see health of all teams will be an issue.  I think the Bengals are going to be better than 6 wins this year.

Is there a team out there that doesn't expect to get better through the draft?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is there a team out there that doesn't expect to get better through the draft?

sure but it comes down to hits and misses.  The bengals have missed some picks in the recent past so hopefully Taylor hits some home runs this year with maybe 2-3 starters.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'd say:

5-11 (distinct possibility but would be heartbroken)
6-10 (wouldn’t surprise me)
7-9 (realistic)
8-8 (pleasantly happy)

Anything better than the above and I’ll jump for joy
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2019, 07:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never bought the injury excuse last year. We won a few games by the skin of our teeth. The main reasons we lost was terrible defense (which was awful before injuries) and poor pass blocking. Hopefully Zac Taylor makes a big difference because our defensive personnel is probably worse.

I think you're forgetting just how horribly bad QB#2 was last year.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I have no expectations whatsoever for the next 2 years. I rather Tank than sit at the middle of the pack at .500. Get Zac who he wants, get rid of who he doesn't. Year 3 is a do or bust, if he can't get us at least competitive year 3, I will begin sharpening my axe for the execution.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think you're forgetting just how horribly bad QB#2 was last year.

I jinxed him. When he ran onto the field for the first time after Dalton got a little boo boo on his wittle thumb, i turned to my friends and said "You are about to witness the next Tom Brady." I was unpleasantly reminded throughout the season he is infact not Brady JR.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 07:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I put a caveat that Marvin could win with a solid roster so long as it wasn't the Steelers, a Primetime Game, or the Playoffs.

Well of course. All I was saying is that Marv has proven he can go around 10-6 with a solid roster. 

Those 10 wins almost always coming in 1pm regular season games against opponents not named "Steelers". 

(04-01-2019, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think you're forgetting just how horribly bad QB#2 was last year.

No, I just remember how we gave up an average of 31.5 points in the games Dalton started. We went 5-6 with Dalton, including 37-36 over the Falcons and 37-34 over the Bucs. We were Fitzpatrick not starting and a last second TD pass away from starting 3-8.

We got lucky to pull some of those games out. With as bad as the defense was, we wound up getting the record we deserved. 

We have great skill position players on offense and a solid QB, but we have a lot of holes (and mediocre/bad players) outside of that. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 07:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals were 5-6 with Dalton in 2018, and 5-4 with AJ Green.

People like to pretend that the 4-1 start was because of health, but the wheels fell off well after that 4-1 start.

Bengals got lucky that they got to face a rusty-armed Luck playing his first game in like 2 years. (Even then you had huge red flags, like Margus Hunt having a 2-sack game and how the Colts TEs ran wild on the Bengals D.)

Week 3 they allowed 31 points, Week 4 they allowed 36 points. 

Can we please put the "They were 4-1 when healthy! They just need to be healthy this year!" to rest already?

Yep. People like to cherry pick for optimism. The defense got pretty bad around midseason too.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No, I just remember how we gave up an average of 31.5 points in the games Dalton started. We went 5-6 with Dalton, including 37-36 over the Falcons and 37-34 over the Bucs. We were Fitzpatrick not starting and a last second TD pass away from starting 3-8.

We got lucky to pull some of those games out. With as bad as the defense was, we wound up getting the record we deserved. 

This is ridiculous.

You can't claim that every close game the Bengals won was just "luck" while every close game we lost we deserved to lose.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:24 PM)EastCoastBengal Wrote: I jinxed him. When he ran onto the field for the first time after Dalton got a little boo boo on his wittle thumb, i turned to my friends and said "You are about to witness the next Tom Brady." I was unpleasantly reminded throughout the season he is infact not Brady JR.

He could probably beat Brady in a race.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 04:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. People like to cherry pick for optimism. 

People like to cherry pick for pessimism also.

Our last second win against the Falcons was "luck" while our last second loss to the Steelers was not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:24 PM)EastCoastBengal Wrote: I jinxed him. When he ran onto the field for the first time after Dalton got a little boo boo on his wittle thumb, i turned to my friends and said "You are about to witness the next Tom Brady." I was unpleasantly reminded throughout the season he is infact not Brady JR.
TBF, when he isn't trying to make tackles after a INT he has proven to be one of the most durable QB's in the nFL. And he has been tested aplenty .Therefore your entire post is one big cluster **** of wrong feelings.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 08:20 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: TBF, when he isn't trying to make tackles after a INT he has proven to be one of the most durable QB's in the nFL. And he has been tested aplenty .Therefore your entire post is one big cluster **** of wrong feelings.

Yep. I’m not the biggest Dalton fan in the world, but dude is as durable as they come. Have to give him that.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People like to cherry pick for pessimism also.

Our last second win against the Falcons was "luck" while our last second loss to the Steelers was not.

You're focusing on the word "luck" but here's what I meant:

Our defense was awful and logic says our offense wouldn't be able to keep up with that all year long. 

Asking your offense to hang 30+ every week to even be competitive isn't a recipe for success. 

Surely you agree, but I think you're just looking for an argument.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're focusing on the word "luck" but here's what I meant:

Our defense was awful and logic says our offense wouldn't be able to keep up with that all year long. 

Asking your offense to hang 30+ every week to even be competitive isn't a recipe for success. 

Surely you agree, but I think you're just looking for an argument.

Yeah people act like we started 4-1 then Eifert, Green, and Dalton all got hurt in Game 6. The reality is:

Bengals were 5-6 with Dalton and 5-4 with AJ Green.

Week 3 they allowed 31 points, Week 4 they allowed 36 points. Week 7 we have up 45 points. Week 8 34 points. Week 9 51 points.

The defense was relatively healthy and pretty historically bad.

Then once Dalton and Green got hurt and we couldn't move the ball on offense...the defense started giving up less points.

Really hard to look at all of that and say this would have been a 10-11 win team.
Reply/Quote