Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Radio - Worried about our OL and our run defense
I listened to a NFL radio segment I think with Tucker and his partner around 5 tonight. One picked is 9-7 and no playoffs and one 8-8.

They did the OL was a major concern, but they said our run defense would suffer greatly with loss of Peko and Rey. M.

We all can agree the OL is a big question mark. But, I never thought about losing not 1 but 2 run stoppers in the middle of the field.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Can't say that I disagree with their analysis.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I disagree without hesitation

I will start with the run defense
Rey Maualuga is such a huge loss he's so vital to a run defense that's why he was unemployed up until
A few weeks ago signed by the Dolphins
Maualugas absence was hardly missed last year
He could not longer shed blocks and stonewall Rbs
He became slow and liability
Peko rarely got into the backfield in 2016 .
How many stops did he make on running downs when it mattered ?
I watched too many 2nd 3rd string Rbs run right up the middle on Peko and Maualuga

The oline is wait and see but it's not gloom and doom
Dalton was sacked once in the preseason
Hill and Mixon had nice holes created
Reply/Quote
Wasn't worried about our run D until I saw it in preseason. That said I think we will be fine in that respect after the D gets a few games under their belt. Obviously o line is a major concern, can't argue with them on either one. Those are my biggest concerns along with our kicking game
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 08:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I disagree without hesitation

Rey Maualuga is such a huge loss he's so vital to a run defense that's why he was unemployed up until
I watched  too many 2nd 3rd string Rbs run  right up the middle on Peko and Maualuga

Peko got paid to join a great defense. His role was to occupy multiple blockers to keep OL off of our inside LB. He did it well for a long time. I hope Billings holds it down, nut it is a concern. Rey M. was signed prior to the vet guarantee contract period so again maybe you are the one who is negatively biased and not a god evaluator of talent.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Agree about the O line but I don't think we lost much with Rey and Peko. We've been complaining about those two for years. The writing has been on the wall for Rey and Peko for the past couple years. If this defense can't stop the run after letting two mediocre players at best go then this D coordinator needs to re-evaluat the players he's putting out there. Tackling looked bad in a couple pre season games. The Ravens should be a good test to see how these players really are.
Reply/Quote
I still think our defense ends up a solid unit. I've ratcheted down my expectations a few notches but they'll be an upper half D I bet. And as bad as I hate to repeat this again, (seems I've typed this a thousand times) I still believe our O line will be our undoing in the end.

We have the icing - AJ, Ross and Eifert, (if they can stay on the field) Mixon, Hill, Gio. But we lack the cake.
Reply/Quote
Domata was 11th in total snaps on our D last year; Sims was 13th. Losing Peko while gaining Billings and Glasgow is a wash at worst. Rey had the 4th most snaps of our LBs last year. His loss is absolutely meaningless.

I get that it can be a concern for folks that really don not follow the team; but for those that do, they realize neither lose amounts to jack.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Agree with them

Not saying it will but as they said it is a concern.

Peko, Whit, and Zeitler will not be replaced easily.

Whit and Peko were leaders on each's side of the ball and almost like having extra coaches.

Hopefully it will all work out this season though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 08:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I disagree without hesitation

I watched  too many 2nd 3rd string Rbs run  right up the middle on Peko and Maualuga

He was unemployed because he was a run stuffer in a passing league. That doesn't negate the fact that he was indeed good at stopping the run.

Peko was a bad pass rusher, but a big guy that took up blockers.

The O-Line lost it's 2 best offensive lineman from a below average line. Best case scenario will be if the playcalling helps to negate the poor line. I do holdout hope that they will improve run blocking...but Whitworth and Zeitler were both really good in that regard.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 08:49 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Agree about the O line but I don't think we lost much with Rey and Peko. We've been complaining about those two for years. The writing has been on the wall for Rey and Peko for the past couple years. If this defense can't stop the run after letting two mediocre players at best go then this D coordinator needs to re-evaluat the players he's putting out there. Tackling looked bad in a couple pre season games. The Ravens should be a good test to see how these players really are.

Agree with this.  Peko and Rey could have been gone a year earlier and it would not have made much of a difference.
Reply/Quote
I think Guenther is overrated as a DC. And our coaches in general...must not focus on fundamentals as our guys have to be the worst fundamental tacklers in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was unemployed because he was a run stuffer in a passing league. That doesn't negate the fact that he was indeed good at stopping the run.

Peko was a bad pass rusher, but a big guy that took up blockers.

The O-Line lost it's 2 best offensive lineman from a below average line. Best case scenario will be if the playcalling helps to negate the poor line. I do holdout hope that they will improve run blocking...but Whitworth and Zeitler were both really good in that regard.

(09-04-2017, 10:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Guenther is overrated as a DC. And  our coaches in general...must not focus on fundamentals as our guys have to be the worst fundamental tacklers in the NFL.

How can on one hand Rey be a good run stuffer but on the flipside Guenther fails to teach fundamentals like tackling when he has been Reys DC or LB coach his whole career?

A lot of these guys have learned to be pros here with the same coaches so saying a guy like Peko or Rey are/were good players but Guenther can't coach players how to tackle doesn't make sense imo. 
Reply/Quote
Truthfully Rey, Peko and even Witt were not at the pinnacles of their careers. All of them were and are rapidly getting to the ages of NFL retirement. Teams just can't afford to hang on to every aging player in hopes that they have some juice in the tank nor should they. Not only that, but as they age they become more expensive to keep on the roster which of course keeps younger players either off the team or stuck on the practice squads. 
Will we suffer from their losses? I have no idea, but I do know it is and always will be a young man's game, not a middle age man's game except on TV..
Every single team at some point has to move on to the younger players. If they don't they have zero hope of competing ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Rey is and was garbage should have been cut 3 years ago. Peko 2 years ago. We will be fine without those 2
Reply/Quote
Our run defense was already bad. We ranked 21st in rush yards allowed and 23rd in YPC.

I don't have access to PFF, but I'm betting Rey M and Peko were a negative in that category. Addition by subtraction.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 11:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Our run defense was already bad. We ranked 21st in rush yards allowed and 23rd in YPC.

I don't have access to PFF, but I'm betting Rey M and Peko were a negative in that category. Addition by subtraction.

Good to hear so should be easy to get better right shake?

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 10:30 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How can on one hand Rey be a good run stuffer but on the flipside Guenther fails to teach fundamentals like tackling when he has been Reys DC or LB coach his whole career?

A lot of these guys have learned to be pros here with the same coaches so saying a guy like Peko or Rey are/were good players but Guenther can't coach players how to tackle doesn't make sense imo. 

I don't think it's so much fundamentals. I think players coming into the league should have the basics down when it comes to knowing how to tackle. But then again you have guys like Burfict who knocks himself out when making a tackle. I'm sure coaches have to tweak some players technique a little. But I think the problem with this team in general is discipline. Actually it's obvious this team lacks discipline. Players blowing assignments, not being in the right place causing poor angles etc. when we look bad on defense im not sure if it's a coaching problem or some of these guys just not listening. But when it comes to something as fundamental as tackling, these guys should know this by now.
Reply/Quote
Peko sux

Have heard it for years but disagree. He fills the gap and rarely if ever gets moved out of it.

Maybe you guys are right and Vance Joseph is an idiot ?

He is getting long in the tooth and was going to have to be replaced soon anyhow.

Just saying that he will not be replaced easily imo. Nor will Whit.

Billings looks really slow and not sure he will do it. Hard to use your strength if they get leverage on you off the snap.

Hope so though because I like him and we need him to do so quickly.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Sorry but the oline is still suspect, im not buying into them after one good series in the post season like others on here. I need to see more. Week 1 if they can keep Andy clean, give him time to make the throws, and open decent holes for the runners, then we can talk.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote