Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Sunday Ticket moving to Youtube
Perhaps I missed the post on here around the holidays, but in case it never got posted, Google has purchased the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket viewing and will begin this service for the 2023 season.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-tv-details-cost-streaming-directv/x7sdba7mqu74p8xkninmmzyi

While prices have not been announced, it has been shared that there will be two ways to purchase and access NFL Sunday Ticket:
1) Through an add-on to Youtube TV
2) Through Youtube Primetime Channels as a purely standalone option

It's speculated that the cost of NFL Sunday Ticket will be cheaper if you add on to Youtube TV compared to a standalone streaming via Primetime Channels, as Youtube TV is like a cable subscription service ($65/month).

What this means:
- NFL Sunday Ticket will require streaming through the internet, so you must have a device that supports Youtube TV or Youtube Primetime Channels.
- No longer will NFL Sunday Ticket be strictly tied to a cable TV subscription.

It will be interesting to see how bars handle this, as they'll have to be able to stream this across numerous TVs at the same time. That can cause heavy bandwidth on their network potentially.

Personally, I am happy because 1) I am out of the local market for Bengals games, and 2) I already have Youtube TV.

What are your thoughts on this change from DirecTV to Youtube?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can’t wait. I’m in Florida and we previously had directv (sucks) just so I could watch the bengals play. We just bought a new house and I didn’t get directv bc I heard this move was coming and I didn’t want to lock in to a contract. So this year has sucked for me. I’ve only been able to watch a few games. Im pumped for YouTube tv to have it. We will carry YouTube tv for football season and cancel after it’s over. We only watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime anyways.

I’m sure bars will figure out a solution
Reply/Quote
This is GOOD for Sunday Ticket, as before it was tied to Satellite TV. This likely will mean the end of DirecTV. I hope that YouTube has lower pricing than current also.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps I missed the post on here around the holidays, but in case it never got posted, Google has purchased the exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket viewing and will begin this service for the 2023 season.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-tv-details-cost-streaming-directv/x7sdba7mqu74p8xkninmmzyi

While prices have not been announced, it has been shared that there will be two ways to purchase and access NFL Sunday Ticket:
1) Through an add-on to Youtube TV
2) Through Youtube Primetime Channels as a purely standalone option

It's speculated that the cost of NFL Sunday Ticket will be cheaper if you add on to Youtube TV compared to a standalone streaming via Primetime Channels, as Youtube TV is like a cable subscription service ($65/month).

What this means:
- NFL Sunday Ticket will require streaming through the internet, so you must have a device that supports Youtube TV or Youtube Primetime Channels.
- No longer will NFL Sunday Ticket be strictly tied to a cable TV subscription.

It will be interesting to see how bars handle this, as they'll have to be able to stream this across numerous TVs at the same time. That can cause heavy bandwidth on their network potentially.

Personally, I am happy because 1) I am out of the local market for Bengals games, and 2) I already have Youtube TV.

What are your thoughts on this change from DirecTV to Youtube?

I was happy when I read about it. I had Sunday Ticket for years on DirecTV so was hard to give it up but have been on YTTV for the last couple of years and love it. Being in Memphis I just hope they offer an option for just a single team as I have no interest in getting it for all games...just Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 03:59 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I can’t wait. I’m in Florida and we previously had directv (sucks) just so I could watch the bengals play. We just bought a new house and I didn’t get directv bc I heard this move was coming and I didn’t want to lock in to a contract. So this year has sucked for me. I’ve only been able to watch a few games. Im pumped for YouTube tv to have it. We will carry YouTube tv for football season and cancel after it’s over. We only watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime anyways.

I’m sure bars will figure out a solution

No sports bars or friends had Direct TV so you could watch?

That sucks.

Living in Greater Cincinnati and going to a lot of home games, it never was a problem for me to see games (post black-out era of the 90s and some of the 00s), but I am glad that I'll be able to watch games that aren't normally shown.
Reply/Quote
I’ve been “forced” to subscribe to DirecTV for my entire adult life. I made the call and kicked them out of my life on Monday. Feels good.
Reply/Quote
For those of us NOT in the US, this does not apply to us (yet).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm hooked on NFL plus. I watch the games on my schedule with almost all of the commercials removed. Most games clock in under two hours and 20 minutes instead of over three hours and I usually skip the halftime.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
1. Thanks DirecTV for providing a reliable way to see the Bengals play out of market.
2. FU DirecTV for mismanaging the product so terribly.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 05:05 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’ve been “forced” to subscribe to DirecTV for my entire adult life. I made the call and kicked them out of my life on Monday. Feels good.

I'm with you there, my friend.  
I was an original  Sunday Ticket subscriber and at that time you could pay for it as  stand alone option without the monthly direct tv programming.   I grandfathered that until I was forced to move to another home and they declared I had not shifted my home but had reestablished it....bye bye grandfathering.   I was OK with it  as I had negotiated a package  for the new home before I disconnected the old one....or so I had thought.   

When it came time to hook up the new satellite...there was not record of the sweet deal that I was offered to continue my subscription.   The old bate and switch.   Lesson learned.   

Now when they come calling online or on phone and start giving me the big sell, I tell them to send the details to my email so I have a paper trail of it.   "Sorry, there is no way we can do that".    Sorry, then there is no way I will EVER use your product again.   Fool me once, shame on you; twice, shame on me.   I'll just watch a replay on NFL.com.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 05:40 PM)wcu Wrote: 1. Thanks DirecTV for providing a reliable way to see the Bengals play out of market.
2. FU DirecTV for mismanaging the product so terribly.

What are you referring to as far as mismanagement? I thought the actual product itself was great. The prices on the other hand…woof.
Reply/Quote
The Youtube Tv deal does not include the commercial business rights to the Sunday Ticket package. That remains to be negotiated with Youtube and or other providers.

I too am out of market and a current Youtube Tv subscriber. Looking forward to a price announcement for the add-on. I expect the Bengals will have a full slate of prime time games as well as CBS/Fox national broadcasts next year. That may make it difficult to justify a really pricey add-on.
Reply/Quote
I used my college daughter to get Sunday ticket. There is an app that has the games for college students. She doesn’t like football so I used her college email and like other college expenses it got charged to us. BTW, this option was much cheaper as compared when I had DirectV and purchase Sunday Ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 05:26 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm hooked on NFL plus. I watch the games on my schedule with almost all of the commercials removed. Most games clock in under two hours and 20 minutes instead of over three hours and I usually skip the halftime.

Thx for the tip. I need to look into this.

I’m in Cincy. Any issues ever w not being able to watch any games for some dumb regional broadcasting rights crap?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 05:05 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’ve been “forced” to subscribe to DirecTV for my entire adult life. I made the call and kicked them out of my life on Monday. Feels good.

I saw that price and said hell no

I loooove professional football but not that much
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 06:03 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: What are you referring to as far as mismanagement? I thought the actual product itself was great. The prices on the other hand…woof.

They could have made good money selling it as a stand alone product and millions more would have had access to that great product.

However, they used it as a tool to prop up their dying business model and industry.
Reply/Quote
I am going against the grain in saying I don’t like it. Directv has gotten much worse since AT&T bought them (horrible company) however I have gotten the NFL package free for about 8 or 9 of the last 10 years. I used to call every year before the season and threaten to cancel so they would give it to me free. The last 2 years they just sent me something telling me I was getting the season for free.

Living in California made it possible for me to see all of the Bengals games without having to pay any extra $ so of course I will miss that.

Also I know cable/satellite suck but I am worried about streaming reliability. I know it’s not like it used to be but I have a lot more trouble with streaming services than I ever had with Directv.
Don’t know what I’m going to do next season - pay for YouTube tv, go to bars every Sunday (probably no to that)?
Reply/Quote
There was recently a breakthrough in faster internet speeds search {comb internet speed}. Not sure how long it will take to get going but it will help streaming greatly.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a41846822/optical-frequency-comb-chip-sets-internet-speed-record/
Reply/Quote
If NFL wanted to they could provide this service themselves and with a modicum of creativity, give fans something new to get excited about.

I'd love the option to pay 29.99 a month or so to get all the Bengals games, exclusive interviews with players, old Bengals games with a couple players who played in them giving a Manningcast type commentary, etc etc. So much opportunity for individual teams to increase revenue by going directly to their fans.
Reply/Quote
I know everyone wants streaming but the application actually sucked. Amazon Thursday Night games were so bad this year. Sound was an issue slow speeds bad cameras etc.

It will get better but right now the whole "streaming football" is bad. I do have to admit I'm happy this is google and not amazon and Apple. I dont like how Amazon is doing Thursday Night football and I have a massive grudge against Apple.

Also unlike most streaming formations YouTube let's you change the resolution all the way up passed high def and all the way down to 144p.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote